advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default If you want a good laugh about children's benefits....

I have mentioned the background in a few posts.....I've been collecting SSDI for three years now and still collecting WC until 12/09.

Because the 80% family benfit cap was receached with my WC, my kids get $66 a month each instead of $450 each. That SHOULD have been changed after December 2009, when my WC benefits ended.

I have been battling to get my kids' benefits increased to what they should be for a year and a half now, but SSDI can't seem to get the records updated.

I recently got a letter from SSDI saying they are trying to update my records Yay ! Or so I thought, til I read on........ Because my oldest turned 17 this month, they wanted to make sure he hadn't gotten MARRIED. because then he wouldn't be entitled to benefits.

Sigh.......No, he's not married. He's a 17 yo kid hoping to go to a school that costs $56,000 when he's 18, Having another $384 a month in his college fund would certainly help !

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh my gosh...that is crazy.
I can imagine how frusterated you must be.
I hope everything gets straightened out very quickly!
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, haven't had any written communication from SSDI about it, but just checked my bank balance (links show from my kids' SSDI accounts) and their underpaid past due amounts are there ! Let's hope the correct direct deposits start this month....

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
Well, haven't had any written communication from SSDI about it, but just checked my bank balance (links show from my kids' SSDI accounts) and their underpaid past due amounts are there ! Let's hope the correct direct deposits start this month....

Hi Finz, Wow that's a long time to have a dispute with SSDI. Happy to hear the money is in the bank and everything is corrected, what is your son taking in school?
Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post

Hi Finz, Wow that's a long time to have a dispute with SSDI. Happy to hear the money is in the bank and hopefully everything is corrected, what does your son want to apply for in school?
Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Bunz.....although I don't think it's all 'fixed' yet. Still got the lower amount for this months payment. Hopefully, they'll get it right next month.

He's a musician/guitar player and wants to do audio engineering.

My husband is really pushing Berklee, which is a FINE school, but I hate to see him putting all of his eggs in one basket. There is also the more practical side of me which might prefer to see him at a college with a great engineering department that has audio engineering, rather than a fantastic performing arts school that also has audio engineering.

That could also be the mom in me with fingers crossed he'd switch to computer engineering (his second love/choice) which would have more employment opportunity in my area as opposed to the music world which might draw him more to LA, NY, Nashville, etc

He's been away from home this week at guitar camp at Berklee. I'm dying to talk to him this weekend. Everyone we know always tells him how talented he is, etc, etc.....but I've gotten a few texts from him this week implying other kids he's met there are soooo much better, so we'll see.

It makes me nervous to think he will be making decisions about schools and majors that will influence the rest of his life......and he can't manage to clean his room or figure out that he needs to do laundry BEFORE he runs out of clean socks and undies, you know ? Mommy jitters

Oh yeah.....and we can't afford $56,000 a year whther or not I get $450/month or $66/month for him for the next year

Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What about Belmont University in Nashville -- they have an audio eng. tech program and a FANTASTIC music program -- including music business? Smaller, friendly -- in a nice city -- HUGE number of alumni who have made it big in the music industry -- beautiful campus. I think the tuition would be much more manageable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_University
Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

$34 K a year isn't happening either I know, I know....we have to compare AFTER completing the FAFSA and seeing what kind of package he would get.

I'm going to joke that a Nashville school doesn't help my cause. Not disputing the awesomeness of Nashville.....just that it's not 1/2 hour away !

Actually, I do thank you for the suggestion. Although many schools have wonderful music programs, the degree in audio engineering is a 'newer' degree and is not offered everywhere, so you did discover a new one we weren't aware of....thanks !

My husband is complaining to my son about the costs for applying to schools and specifically trying to talk my son out of one of the 3 he is serious about because of how elaborate the application is (with multiple different fees). While I think it's foolish to pay $100+ to 20+ schools just to apply, I think it's reasonable to apply to 5 or 6 to see what kind of packages he is offered. We are lucky that one of the state colleges here in Mass has his major, so that will be our pick for his 'safety' school. Between what we put away when he was younger and recent educational gifts from his grandfather, at least we know we could afford that one too. That would be 1 to 1.5 hours from home. I like that distance, but it is in a dumpy city with some safety concerns.......looks nothing like the beautiful Belmont U campus !

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey, finz, I have heard of very FEW who pay even close to full tuition in a school like this (former guidance counselor here). Forgive me if I am over-stepping boundaries -- OR mis-remembering (as I am VERY prone to do these days -- ARRRGGHHHHH) -- but, aren't YOU thinking about re-locating to a less expensive city once your child/children are out of the nest?

Nashville is a totally delightful city. No, I don't live there, now -- but, have lived there. One of the top hospitals in the nation is there -- Vanderbilt. And there are lots of cultural activities. Compared to many Northern cities, housing is CHEAP!

Just saying..........

BTW, if your income is within a certain amount, you might be able to get waivers on applications. (Used to be the case -- it has been awhile since I've been a GC, though.) You just need to make a call to the admissions counselors/offices at the schools your son is interested in. Telling them that YOU are on SSDI might also help.

I would also suggest that your son make a video showcasing his best abilities. Many schools with music programs have groups that represent the school (traveling/recruiting/doing concerts for the other students) -- and give great scholarships to the group members.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

lol....Nope, you weren't misremembering......that's me !

I admit to being something of an ocean snob......so I've been looking in Florida at condos with nice pool areas and a short drive to the ocean. To be frank though, I'm 4 miles from the beach now and I think I could count on one hand the times I've made it there this year It's the driving issue. I know the climate in Nashville is much milder than up here, but is it out door pool doable all year ?

My son isn't in a band right now. We did just get some video of his graduation performance from guitar camp at Berklee this past week, so now he has to get going on editing and getting up on you-tube, etc.

That's my point with hubby on applying to more varied schools. There's federal financial aid, then there's more generous aid from schools with better endowments. I think it's worthwhile to maybe get a pleasant surprise on the overall package from the right school.