advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default pn & low back

I have advanced loss of L5/S1 disc space. How often is pn caused by low back degeneration? Seems like an obvious place to look but also impossible to prove. I'm starting physical therapy for my low back in hopes that it helps my neuropathy even though I have referred pain to my hips and feet. My back doesn't hurt.
stan t is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 08:26 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan t View Post
I have advanced loss of L5/S1 disc space. How often is pn caused by low back degeneration? Seems like an obvious place to look but also impossible to prove. I'm starting physical therapy for my low back in hopes that it helps my neuropathy even though I have referred pain to my hips and feet. My back doesn't hurt.
You will be building up the muscles that will support your back helping to stablize the area. This is the same principle as building up abs to support a bad back. The muscles will act as a brace and being stronger may help refered pain. Refered pain is one of life's joys. Listen to your body.

Mine started as electric shocks to my hip which was interpreted by my NP as osteoarthitis, avascualr necrosis of the hip, hip replacement time. Wrong: Hip was normal but L/S spine was not. 2 discs bulging and radiculpathy. Mine was proven by emg and ncv and mri. I rarely have episodes of low back pain. It has increased with the PT. I am giving it time as I have not done anything physical in a year and this may just be my body adjusting to using parts gone dorment . I do have more strength in my legs, balance is so so. If my back hurts, my gait is off and so is my balance and my hip is about the same. I am guilty of trying to do too much to soon and took a big time fall 2 weeks ago at the rehab center. I was airborne, feet off the ground because I was showing off how fast I could walk with my braces. Dumb eh?

Last edited by JB63; 07-20-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: sp
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stan t (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I have lower legs/feet pain from my PN and RSD but when I was undergoing testing I had mris of my spine. At that time I did not have back or spine pain but my neurologist said it still could be coming from there and why he wanted to test that area. I hope you get some relief and PT helps you
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stan t (07-21-2011)