advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default When will my payment/backpay come?

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping some of you with experience can help me here. I had my Social Security hearing on June 6th and received a Fully Favorable decision in the mail on June 27th. My lawyer told me there's nothing to do now but wait for the payment to be deposited into my account, which is killing me. I have amassed a lot of bills over the past two and a half years...

I called Social Security and they confirmed what my lawyer said, that my claim was sent to the Baltimore payment center on June 25th. My lawyer also gave me an approximate figure of my monthly payment from a Social Security PIA report that was run on January 6th of 2011. Accoding to the report, my PIA is about $1200 and I wondered if that PIA will really be my monthly ammount or if they will reduce it from there? I had read on the internet that if you collect disability or retire before the full retirement age, they reduce it.

My big question is how long does it usually take Baltimore to process payments and when can I expect to see it in my bank account. I'm at almost 4 weeks from when I got my decision from the judge. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
amodernphoenix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodernphoenix View Post
I'm at almost 4 weeks from when I got my decision from the judge.
Since you elected direct deposit, I strongly suggest that you start checking your account by phone daily!

Direct deposits of back pay SSDI payments usuaully take 30-60 days. Sometimes sooner. Mine took approximately 3-4 weeks after I received my final approval letter.

Congrats on your final approval.
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine View Post
Since you elected direct deposit, I strongly suggest that you start checking your account by phone daily!

Direct deposits of back pay SSDI payments usuaully take 30-60 days. Sometimes sooner. Mine took approximately 3-4 weeks after I received my final approval letter.

Thank you very much! What's you take on the PIA thing? Do you think it will be the same number my lawyer found in the file from the report Social Security ran in January?

Anyone else recently been through the process and have any feedback?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Thank you very much! What's you take on the PIA thing? Do you think it will be the same number my lawyer found in the file from the report Social Security ran in January?

I have a phone # for the Baltimore payment office: 410-966-3578 (Jerry). Make sure they have your bank acct. # correct. They had a wrong acct.# for me and it took an extra 2 months to get backpay. Hope this helps.
bdh1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

I don't know if you are saying that you got back pay in 3-4 weeks, or if you were getting regular payments in that time. I myself got officially approved on April 7, 2011 and received first monthly SSDI benefits on May 3rd. VERY quick. Has now been over 100 days and I still haven't received back pay. I was told by national number today that my pay was put on high priority on June 22. (Whatever that means.)
michaelp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp View Post
I don't know if you are saying that you got back pay in 3-4 weeks, or if you were getting regular payments in that time. I myself got officially approved on April 7, 2011 and received first monthly SSDI benefits on May 3rd. VERY quick. Has now been over 100 days and I still haven't received back pay. I was told by national number today that my pay was put on high priority on June 22. (Whatever that means.)
It was my back pay. The following month I started receiving my normal monthly payment.

If you elected DD, I do not understand the holdup. If you have an attorney, suggest that you two have a chit chat. High priority = huge backlog?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

Have no clue what a PIA is. When I was in the Rat Race, every year around my birthday, I received a statement from SS. This statement booklet lists every job I've ever had (dates), SS amount, SSDI amount, work credits, etc.
The amount of SSDI in my last statement was right on the money right down to the last penny!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Have no clue what a PIA is. When I was in the Rat Race, every year around my birthday, I received a statement from SS. This statement booklet lists every job I've ever had (dates), SS amount, SSDI amount, work credits, etc.
The amount of SSDI in my last statement was right on the money right down to the last penny!
I called the 800 number yesterday and the person seemed to be a good one (I've talked to some beauties in the last 2 1/2 years). The rep looked through my file, reiterated that the payment processing center has had it since June 24th and then told me someone in the Baltimore office began working my file this past Tuesday.

I'm guessing that's a good sign, but I have no idea what all is involved in what they do. I have no offsets, no workmen's comp or anything like that and it's straight SSDI, no SSI.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I called the 800 number yesterday and the person seemed to be a good one (I've talked to some beauties in the last 2 1/2 years). The rep looked through my file, reiterated that the payment processing center has had it since June 24th and then told me someone in the Baltimore office began working my file this past Tuesday.

I'm guessing that's a good sign, but I have no idea what all is involved in what they do. I have no offsets, no workmen's comp or anything like that and it's straight SSDI, no SSI.
This wait is killing me... still nothing in the bank account and no letter. Does anyone know what they actually do in Baltimore and how long it usually takes? Since the Social Security people said they started working on it, it's been a week.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
This wait is killing me... still nothing in the bank account and no letter. Does anyone know what they actually do in Baltimore and how long it usually takes? Since the Social Security people said they started working on it, it's been a week.
I got my letter at the beginning of last May, didn't see a dime until late July? I think....Baltimore had it, Baltimore sat on it, Baltimore held it because the lawyer fee was coming directly out of it, and he had 60 days to request a higher fee than the agreed upon, state determined amount (he didn't, good thing or we would have had a serious problem), then they got around to processing it and giving me my years of back pay. I didn't even get my letter telling me all the details of the payment/payments until late July, because even tho they had printed it, someone had it sitting with my file waiting for the lawyer to have his chance to ask for more. Looks like most people got much more prompt service than I did, but you might not want to hold your breath just yet.

Also, if it is a big chunk of back money, they DO NOT take income tax out of it, yet you may end up owing money, depending on your overall financial situation. So before you decide what to do with all of it, look into the tax aspect and put that money aside, or next April will be a really rude awakening.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote