advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Traveling while collecting SSD

For whatever reason I am feeling like I want to get out for a couple of months and see the world. I'm worried that this would be an automatic red flag to SSA.. I believe you have to in some way notify them if you leave the country for more than 30 days (or maybe just notify them if you change addresses).. Personally I think it shouldn't red flag someone for not being disabled psychologically just because they have the ability to travel.. If anyone has any opinions or insight to this matter feel free to chime in
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post
For whatever reason I am feeling like I want to get out for a couple of months and see the world. I'm worried that this would be an automatic red flag to SSA.. I believe you have to in some way notify them if you leave the country for more than 30 days (or maybe just notify them if you change addresses).. Personally I think it shouldn't red flag someone for not being disabled psychologically just because they have the ability to travel.. If anyone has any opinions or insight to this matter feel free to chime in
You can only be gone 30 days max I think but don't quote me check it out
oldhen53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post
I do travel the world. However, since I have direct deposit, there is never an issue of tapping into my account whenever I need some $$$. Matter of fact, I will be in S.A. for 2 months soon.

As far as credit cards goes, I always notify the cc company of where I will be & for how long I will be out of the country. I make arrangements for the cc bills to go to my home address after my return date.

If you are on SSDI, "red flag" does not come into play. There are plenty of folks who are on SS & SSDI who live abroad yet still collect. Canada, Mexico & the United Arab Emirates have huge communities of Americans collecting SS & SSDI.

For a change of address check out: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/219
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EducatedAsylum (07-28-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM #4
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

I know this is an old thread, but you are required to notify SS if you're out of the country more than 30 days , even just for travel. Can't link at the moment...I'll do it later.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
I know this is an old thread, but you are required to notify SS if you're out of the country more than 30 days , even just for travel. Can't link at the moment...I'll do it later.
Is this the link you are looking for?
http://ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#when

When you are “outside the United States
"When we say you are outside the United States, we mean you are not in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands or American Samoa. Once you have been out of the United States for at least 30 days in a row, you are considered to be outside the country until you return and stay in the United States for at least 30 days in a row. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you also may have to prove you were lawfully present in the United States for that 30-day period."

What happens to your right to Social Security payments when you are outside the United States
"If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for them.

However, there are certain countries to which we are not allowed to send payments."

I have never notified SS when I have traveled abroad for 2 months. Been traveling abroad for years while collecting SSDI. Since my $$$$ are directly deposited in a bank within the USofA, I see no reason to notify them unless I plan on living abroad in the future.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So if you are going to ignore the legal requirements to report that you are outside the US for 30 days, why are you announcing it in a public forum?
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 AM #7
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Janke, you are hilarious!

I wasn't linking because it never works from iPhone.

I am a stickler for the rules. I would personally notify SS, but that's just me.

People do use older threads for research--Yada, Yada, Yada.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
So if you are going to ignore the legal requirements to report that you are outside the US for 30 days, why are you announcing it in a public forum?
Not ignoring any legal requirements as I am NOT living abroad, not receiving medical treatments abroad nor is my SSDI $$$ being transferred abroad. I never stay abroad longer than 60 days.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM #9
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine View Post
Not ignoring any legal requirements as I am NOT living abroad, not receiving medical treatments abroad nor is my SSDI $$$ being transferred abroad. I never stay abroad longer than 60 days.
"What You Must Report To Us" Link:
http://ssa.gov/pubs/10153.html#4

"If you are a U.S. citizen, you can travel to or live in most foreign countries without affecting your Social Security benefits. There are, however, a few countries where we cannot send Social Security payments. These countries are Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cuba, Cambodia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, North Korea, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.

Let us know if you plan to go outside the United States for a trip that lasts 30 days or more. Tell us the name of the country or countries you plan to visit and the date you expect to leave the United States.

We will send you special reporting instructions and tell you how to arrange for your benefits while you are away. Be sure to notify us when you return to the United States."
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mz Migraine (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
We will send you special reporting instructions and tell you how to arrange for your benefits while you are away. Be sure to notify us when you return to the United States."
I am assuming the above is done to prevent identity theft and/or fraud if SSDI $$$ will be mailed outside of the US and/or a SSDI recipient dies abroad yet their SSDI $$$ is still being deposited into their US account and/or checks cashed after death.