advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 10:02 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Using both Folate and L-methylfolate together could be a concern

As I have been evaluating the supplements I use in my holy crusade to help halt the progression of my PN, I found an interesting article regarding the use of folate and L-methylfolte.

*edit*

I apologize if this article has already been brought up and discussed. I haven't seen it in any of the threads I've read.

The article is filled with information on this subject and goes into discussion of other diseases as well.

One of the sections that stood out for me talks about how folate acid may compete with L-methylfolate at the blood brain barrier. There is reason for concern that folate could block L-methyfolate transportation.

I happen to take folate acid which is in my B complex with L-methyfolate at the same time during the day. This could be causing a problem in getting the proper amount of L-methylfolate into my system due to competion between the two supplements.

I am now taking the B-complex in the morning and the L-metylfolate in the afternoon with my B12 sublingual. I believe that serum levels of the folate acid will be low enough at that time where the L-methylfolate will be fine entering the body through the blood brain barrier.

I have had some strong reactions when first taking L-metylfolate which suggest I was deficeint in this nutrient. This nutrient has been os special interest to me.

I am passing this along for others to consider. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can comment.

Last edited by Jomar; 08-20-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: per NT guidelines on new member posting links
karsten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default One thing I would do--

--is take the sublingual B12 apart from any other supplements and apart from food by a couple of hours or so; it is very easy to interfere with passive absorption of the cobalamin molecule, which is the largest molecule our bodies regularly process.

I would think if you were taking methylated folate you would not need to take other folate, and thus avoid the problem you mention. Mrs. D will hopefully chime in on this next time she's able to get on-line.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--is take the sublingual B12 apart from any other supplements and apart from food by a couple of hours or so; it is very easy to interfere with passive absorption of the cobalamin molecule, which is the largest molecule our bodies regularly process.

I would think if you were taking methylated folate you would not need to take other folate, and thus avoid the problem you mention. Mrs. D will hopefully chime in on this next time she's able to get on-line.
I have found out when taking supplements especially the B-complex brands that folic acid is almost always bundled together with the other B vitamins. Based on this, it is not difficult to see why it might be taken together with L-methylfolate on a daily basis.

Also, I take dibencozide which is another active form of B12. My brand has a small amount of folic acid included with it.

I now take the B complex and the dibencozide together (400 + 200 mcg of folic acid) first thing in the morning. About 4-6 hours later I take the sublingual methyl-B12 and L-methylfolate together. I believe this will resolve any concerns.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just noticed that the link to the article was removed. If you do an internet search typing L-methyfolate who knew??? , then you should be able to find it. Title of article is Systemic nutrition: What is your gut reaction? It is in PDF format.

Last edited by karsten; 08-21-2011 at 12:28 PM.