advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question to the forum regarding "R-Lipoic Acid"

I would love to get recent feedback from forum members regarding any apparent and clear benefit they have seen in Small-Fiber pain reduction from the use of 100 mg of R-Lipoic Acid.

I am aware of the benefits of traditional ALA at 600 mgs +, but was interested to see if the same benefits are begin achieved using 100 mg of R-Lipoic.

I would also like to get a recomendation for the specific brand of R-Lipoic 100 mgs that you use.

Thank you!

David
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I have been using--

--100mg/day R-lipoic for a long time, and the effects seem, for me, to be roughly equivalent to those experienced taking I took 600mg/day of alpha lipoic (and my stomach is considerably less acidy when I take the R-lipoic; don't even have to take it with food). It is difficult to know exactly which effects come from the lipoic and which come from other supplements, though; I haven't wanted to single-elimination trials to see just how much each one contributes.

I don't know if there are brand differences in effectiveness (I tend to get mine from Swanson Vitamins and use the in-house brand there); perhaps someone else can respond as to that.

Last edited by glenntaj; 08-22-2011 at 06:34 AM.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 AM #3
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I've been using 100 mg. R-lipoic since (roughly) the beginning of the year. As I understand it, my results are not typical, but I got complete relief from the burning pain in my feet (which was severe enough to keep me up nights and require gabapentin) within 48 hours. There were no other supplement changes within 60 days either way, though I just ordered some ALC and pantothenic acid (B-5) to try in conjunction (as I've read about).

I still have some numbness, sensitivity, and occasional (significantly reduced) "needle pricks" but the burning pain is gone unless I overdo, but even then it is very temporary, not requiring any further meds.

I'm using Country Life brand, but I have no biases either way - it was an economical choice (price + shipping + combining orders).

FWIW, I have also read that the sooner a PN patient starts on R-lipoic acid, the more beneficial/efficacious it is,
[RANT]
which is contrary to the neurologists I've been to, who have all said they might mention (but not recommend, as it is not in "their literature") it to patients for whom gabapentin et al do not work. By then.... who knows?
[/RANT]

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:45 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I would love to get recent feedback from forum members regarding any apparent and clear benefit they have seen in Small-Fiber pain reduction from the use of 100 mg of R-Lipoic Acid.

I am aware of the benefits of traditional ALA at 600 mgs +, but was interested to see if the same benefits are begin achieved using 100 mg of R-Lipoic.

I would also like to get a recomendation for the specific brand of R-Lipoic 100 mgs that you use.

Thank you!

David
I took it for 6 months and have been off of it for about a month with no change. I didnt see any improvement for the 6 months and I am not seeing any change being off of it for 30 days.
I bought the ONLY brand vitamin cottage had of the R-Lipoic.
robpp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
I took it for 6 months and have been off of it for about a month with no change. I didnt see any improvement for the 6 months and I am not seeing any change being off of it for 30 days.
I bought the ONLY brand vitamin cottage had of the R-Lipoic.

.... thanks everyone for the feedback!

David
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote