advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Instant gorditas

I've found the best way to make instant gorditas, without having to go through all of the hassle of mixing up the masa, rolling it out to the right thickness, cooking, and slitting it to make the pocket for stuffing.
I cook 2 regular corn tortillas on both sides till done, or about done. Then I beat an egg, and either brush egg around the rim on one face of each tortilla, and stick them together, then cook until the egg has set, gluing the two together; or I hold the tortillas vertically, and just rotate them in the egg about 1/2 inch deep, until the rim is coated, stick them together, and procede as above. Of course the second method puts egg on both faces of both tortillas, but it doesn't matter. After cooking, use a sharp knife to gently part a small opening, allowing space through which to stuff the instant gordita. Of course, you may find that a section of the rims haven't "glued" right, in which case you can use this natural opening to stuff through.
For stuffing I use scrambled eggs, cheese, rice, beans, meat, in any combination.
Hugs,

advertisement
Old 03-16-2007, 04:57 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

That's awesome Lois!!

Would you mind copying your post a couple of places? Maybe in the breads and biscuits thread and the breakfast thread?

... and anywhere else you think it would go?

That would be awesome for people looking through the recipe threads. I'm afraid your great idea will get lost here. And that would be such a shame!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:10 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

That's brilliant!! Thank you!

Rachel
rachelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:49 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, guys, glad you liked the idea. I've posted it in both breakfast and bread recipe sections, as you suggested, Kim. I'm working on another use for the corn tortillas now, cooking them in a liquid to make something like a noodle. So far I've done them in enchilada sauce, and they came out super delicious! I'm also going to experiment with spaghetti sauce to see what kind of a dish it would make. I'll post the whole recipe when I get it all figured out, assuming it works fairly well.
Hugs,
Old 03-16-2007, 09:42 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lois,

You'll have to publish a book called, "100 Thinks To Do With Corn Tortillas"!

I bet it would sell quite well.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I make something called Tortilla Tower that I got from one of the Clan Thompson newsletters. It's ground beef mixed with spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese and egg, and shredded cheddar, layered with corn tortillas. It's very yummy and a big hit here.

Rachel
Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sounds delic Rachel!

You should copy your post into the recipe files also.

For everybody else...

Please, if you have a recipe that you enjoy and wish to share, don't feel like you need permission to post it in the recipe files. I know that some people tend to feel a little 'self-conscious' and like they're 'imposing' their recipe on everyone else... But really - the recipe threads are there so that nobody's recipe gets lost. A lost recipe doesn't get to help people cope. So, please do feel at home to post your recipes.

Caveat: Make sure it's your own recipe and you're not just copy/pasting from another site. However, if you find a recipe at another site, you can always put the title of the recipe with a link to the site. That's still amazingly helpful! . .. or like Rachel did, she mentions all the 'stuff' you need to make it and where she originally got the idea from...
Old 03-17-2007, 12:12 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisba View Post
Thanks, guys, glad you liked the idea. I've posted it in both breakfast and bread recipe sections, as you suggested, Kim. I'm working on another use for the corn tortillas now, cooking them in a liquid to make something like a noodle. So far I've done them in enchilada sauce, and they came out super delicious! I'm also going to experiment with spaghetti sauce to see what kind of a dish it would make. I'll post the whole recipe when I get it all figured out, assuming it works fairly well.
Hugs,
We used to (in my pre corn free days) make mexican lasagne, I think it was tortillas, some sort of sauce and beans and cheese layered. I never wrote the recipe down b/c it was "so easy" and then I thought it was too rich or something (mega doses of corn and I had a corn allergy, *sigh*) but...its an idea to experiment with.
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I do love corn tortillas! I just made a corn tortilla lasagna. Turned out so well, I'll have to make it again in a few days and measure all ingredients, write down the temp, timing, etc. I'll post it in the recipes when I get it figured out, but for those who don't need a recipe, it is cut corn tortillas, pizza sauce, sausage, mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese, layered and baked.
Hugs,
Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Google is my friend. Here's a link to the archived version of the newsletter with the Tortilla Tower recipe. It's toward the bottom:

http://www.ymlp.com/pubarchive_show_...?celiacnews+22

(I'm kind of a stickler for not posting recipes from cookbooks and other places, so I don't feel comfy just posting the recipe. One of my oddities, I suppose. )

Rachel