advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Rebuilder?

A number of years ago several people on the board, including myself, used the Rebuilder. Most seemed to feel it helped with pain, and a few felt it helped with symptoms in a cumulative way, if I remember correctly.

I've just taken another look at their website, and they are designed a little differently, but with a better explanation of how the machine works. I'm wondering if anybody has used it, and if so, what their response has been? Has their insurance paid? It is very pricey. I recall way back when, that they were giving discounts to most who asked. But perhaps I mis-remember.

http://www.rebuildermedical.com/

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Search Rebuilder on our search engine. You will find over 70 posts about it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Wow.

Thanks, Mrs, D., I did the search, and was astounded to find the recent thread, long and controversial. I had not imagined that it would have caused this much excitement all over again.

I was startled at their new website's advertising--they are now saying that the machine actually measures signals that the nerves are generating and sends back impulses that are the negative the what is measured. But I know for sure the unit I bought a decade ago didn't measure a thing. It was a pure output unit.

A lot of whoo-ey.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Well, I personally think the new website is rather evasive and makes claims expansively. I tend to agree with you. The cost is huge if one does not have insurance.

With the popularity of this forum and our previous one, the track record of Rebuilder remains sketchy at best. (I hope this comment does not bring out the shills here!)

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I know a retired person (from where I work at) told me about it... He was diagnosed with idiotic (Idiopathic) neuropathy... did some researching and found this machine... and SWEARS by it... says its really helped him out... hardly any more pain... I'd like to try one... but don't want to spend the $$$ on it if it doesn't work...
Ed A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Ed... There have been some who liked it but not many. I guess that when long time frames are involved with an advertised product/device, and we don't hear the stampeding hooves and trumpeting of miraculous results, then the response is limited or poor.

Basically it is a IFc type electrical device. (inferential current)

This link I found that examines the claims...such as "FDA approved" explains it better than I can.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...ealth-devices/

I mentioned in an earlier thread this summer that I did not like the graphic on the Rebuilder website. This is why...
Quote:
But the nonsense goes further. They make up out of whole cloth, as far as I can tell, the idea that neuropathy is caused by the synapse between two neurons widening – and of course the Rebuilder rebuilds this connection. But this is not based upon any real science. First of all, most neuropathy does not involve any interneuronal connections. Sensory nerves, for example, have their cell bodies in ganglia just outside the spinal cord and their sensory organs in the skin. So this is a single cell and a single axon – there are not interneuronal synapses until you get to the spinal cord, and by definition you are no longer dealing with a peripheral neuropathy but a central disorder. Neuropathy occurs typically in the axon itself, not with any connection.
IFc is very good for pain. I had it in my PT when I had a severe painful tendon injury. IFc units can be purchased for about $150 plus the replenishment periodically of the pads it has. One has to know how to use it, and apply the electrode pads.

It may very well be that for those with circulation problems the Rebuilder may work some...but PN is a huge problem with many presentations and variants. Say, someone with damaged mitochondria, applying electrical current won't work since the cells are damaged. Mitochondria work chemically not electrically. But that is just my take on it. When the mitochondria stop working the cell cannot maintain itself and hence the axon dies, or the autoimmune antibodies attack it from the outside. Neither process is "electrical". But the RESULT is that the electrical message from the sensory periphery cannot go further because the cell is damaged inside.

Look at it this way. If the maker of this device which is so spectacular all PNers will benefit... he could lower his prices, sell to a million more people and still profit richly. But he charges huge prices to try to manipulate the buyer into thinking it is a great thing and sells fewer units. The masses are not getting this wonderful machine...because basically it is most likely only going to help a small section of the PNers. This concept is illustrated often today in our world. Look at cell phones, and computers. They work splendidly and provide a great benefit and hence their costs come down over time. The Rebuilder's cost goes UP over time! (as an example... my old cell phone..a huge bag phone in the boonies (our summer island) cost almost $20 a call to home. Now it is FREE with a low monthly charge.) The DEMAND for this service eventually solved the cost problem.

Last edited by mrsD; 08-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM #7
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
If the maker of this device which is so spectacular all PNers will benefit... he could lower his prices, sell to a million more people and still profit richly.
I have not read the website recently, but I would think that it would be worth a hefty pricetag for many to get relief, provided it would also be offered with a "no-risk money-back trial period" (of 30 - 90 days) as some other types of medical equipment are.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Some of our members over the years have not received that refund. You wouldn't know this, because you are relatively new, and those people are no longer here. (or there on the old venue)

Those on insurance of course would not get a $$ refund at all. That is a clever marketing strategy as well.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Some of our members over the years have not received that refund.
Not having been to the site recently, I was not aware that they even offered such (I was waxing a tad cafetious), but if the guarantee's not worth the pixels it's printed on...

If they've been reneging as you say, I'm a little surprised they haven't been brought to task, one way or another. Folks usually scream about that kind of thing loud and long - with even longer memories!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
I have not read the website recently, but I would think that it would be worth a hefty pricetag for many to get relief, provided it would also be offered with a "no-risk money-back trial period" (of 30 - 90 days) as some other types of medical equipment are.

Doc
A few years back I purchased the Rebuilder for about $400 with the stipulation that I could return it if it didn't work. It actually caused more shooting pains in my big toes. I returned it, and got my money back minus $10. I never would have bought it if I couldn't return it. If they didn't return my money, you can believe I would have caused a riot, and wouldn't have left till I got it back.....I'm just sayin'.
Rosie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote