advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is weight gain when using Lyrica primarily due to Edema (water retention)?

I wonder if the weight gain reported when using higher doses of Lyrica is actually due to Edema, or water retention?

If that is the case, then perhaps the use of a water pill while using Lyrica would help prevent the weight gain.

Thoughts?
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I always thought that but dont think its that easy.

My neuro insists i stay off it due to weight gain but wants me on nuerontin instead. I always thought they were the same in regards to weight gain

Last edited by zorro1; 09-04-2011 at 08:54 PM.
zorro1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro13 View Post
I always thought that but dont think its that easy.

My neuro insists i stay off it due to weight gain but wants me on nuerontin instead. I always thought they were the same in regards to weight gain
I have gained about 15-20 lbs since I first started taking Neurontin last November. I wish I could blame it on water retention but I think not. It has made me lose my sense of taste in a very big way and changed my appetite completely. I was a big meat eater and now can hardly stand it, I crave sweets which I never have in the past. It's all very weird and I would love to go off the stuff but know I can't take the pain. Catch 22........
norahs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I wonder if the weight gain reported when using higher doses of Lyrica is actually due to Edema, or water retention?

If that is the case, then perhaps the use of a water pill while using Lyrica would help prevent the weight gain.

Thoughts?
My doctor explained that Lyrica doesn't exactly cause weight gain, but food begins to look REAL good.
teacherfeet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I find eating food a distraction from pain.
zorro1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If you find that your legs and feet swell, and/or hands, early on using this drug...suspect edema.

If you find you are just heavier, and clothes don't fit anymore, then that would be more like weight gain.

It is possible to get both side effects.

Heavy carb consumption can lead to peripheral edema too.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:14 AM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Agreed--

--certainly, both gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica) are associated with weight gain, and edema (water retention) if a well-documented side effect of both, but most of the anti-seizure drugs also seem to be associated with a carb-craving effect. People's appetite's seem to increase as if they are getting ready for a hibernation state--it's been speculated that the centralnervous system suppression of such drugs may be part of that mechanism.

In the end, you really have to be aware of this and watch what you eat.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherfeet View Post
My doctor explained that Lyrica doesn't exactly cause weight gain, but food begins to look REAL good.
Amen to that.
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How Sweet It Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--most of the anti-seizure drugs also seem to be associated with a carb-craving effect. In the end, you really have to be aware of this and watch what you eat.
Oh this explains the craving for French Cruellas and chocolate cream pie, which BTW I never had an interest in before. Uh-oh.
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 AM #10
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherfeet View Post
It was the nurse who put it that way to me (while the neuro was in the room) and I believe the term "munchies" was involved....

I confessed that I had had experience with "munchies" - "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." (a.k.a the '70s.... ) and believed I could handle that (and I believe I have, but haven't needed any gabapentin in months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro13 View Post
I find eating food a distraction from pain.
I also found that to be very true.

Some adrenal hormone deficiencies can also effect chronic pain & hunger. I've found in just a couple of weeks of starting on replacing those that my hunger is less out of control and I am losing weight again, albeit very slowly.

FWIW, I've also had edema in my feet, since PN started, but before using gabapentin. I have some furosemide (diuretic/water pill) that I take when they're really bad, but the edema has been less severe since taking the hormone and pantothenic acid. Being more active on my feet (but not overdoing) has also helped this.

norahs & JB63 - It may be no news that carbohydrates cause cravings for more carbohydrates - vicious circle. Being a carboholic myself, I am keenly aware. Since being on a high-protien/low-carb chronic pain diet, I not only stopped gaining weight, I actually lost 30 lbs., which I hadn't been able to do for many years. I sort of plateaued after that, but noticed that I was still hungry after eating, and sensed that may be part of the problem too (in addition to eating being a distraction from pain). Recently I came across mention of two hormones - ghrelin, the so-called hunger hormone, and its counterpart - leptin, the so-called satisfaction hormone. Just a couple of things to look into further.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote