advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 AM #1
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default CRAZY Back Pay Stall Out, any other way to escalate other than US Senator?

I was approved almost 4 years ago going back to 1999. It took a year and finally getting help from a Senator's office, before receiving my portion of back pay.

Then it took another 2 years for my son to receive 1/2 his back pay. A year of waiting like an idiot and then getting help from a local office Supervisor. (She now won't return my calls or my son's calls.)

My case is complicated by Worker's Comp. WC refused to provide my earnings for a long time, but SSA has had all the info since 12/2/10.

I know the correct amount because I received an ealier decision for a closed period of time. So, we're talking another 20k in back pay.

A local case worker has confirmed there is a problem with the file at the Payment Center. She said that they would get a Supervisor from the local office to contact a Supervisor at the Payment Center. That was two weeks ago. And I'm getting the brush off yet again.

If I have no choice I'll go the Senator route again, but I feel like my time frame of being patient goes beyond rationale norms.

My financial situation is now urgent for both my own expenses and my son's final year of college. I let him use half my back pay for college expenses, etc. never thinking it would take 3 more years and counting. You would think children are frozen in time the way SSA treats these issues.

Of course, since my son doesn't have a clue how to help, and since he's almost 21 and SSA really shouldn't be talking to me (even though he agreed to the backup coming directly to me, and yes, they did send the first 1/2 to me last year) it again complicates things and makes it easier to ignore me. He's out of state in KY, and is willing to sign anything required or speak to whomever he needs to. I'm in CA.

Will I maybe get a gold star for being the biggest push over in the history of Back Pay BS?

HELP!

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 09-08-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typo
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 AM #2
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Let me add, I didn't use an attorney for the ALJ hearing. I do have a WC attorney that represented me for the closed portion years ago. Can he get them to expedite payment? Any idea for the fee if anyone has heard of something like this before?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
I was approved almost 4 years ago going back to 1999. It took a year and finally getting help from a Senator's office, before receiving my portion of back pay.

Then it took another 2 years for my son to receive 1/2 his back pay. A year of waiting like an idiot and then getting help from a local office Supervisor. (She now won't return my calls or my son's calls.)

My case is complicated by Worker's Comp. WC refused to provide my earnings for a long time, but SSA has had all the info since 12/2/10.

I know the correct amount because I received an ealier decision for a closed period of time. So, we're talking another 20k in back pay.

A local case worker has confirmed there is a problem with the file at the Payment Center. She said that they would get a Supervisor from the local office to contact a Supervisor at the Payment Center. That was two weeks ago. And I'm getting the brush off yet again.

If I have no choice I'll go the Senator route again, but I feel like my time frame of being patient goes beyond rationale norms.

My financial situation is now urgent for both my own expenses and my son's final year of college. I let him use half my back pay for college expenses, etc. never thinking it would take 3 more years and counting. You would think children are frozen in time the way SSA treats these issues.

Of course, since my son doesn't have a clue how to help, and since he's almost 21 and SSA really shouldn't be talking to me (even though he agreed to the backup coming directly to me, and yes, they did send the first 1/2 to me last year) it again complicates things and makes it easier to ignore me. He's out of state in KY, and is willing to sign anything required or speak to whomever he needs to. I'm in CA.

Will I maybe get a gold star for being the biggest push over in the history of Back Pay BS?

HELP!
Why not escalate to a senator or congressperson? Seems like a good idea to me.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM #4
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Why not escalate to a senator or congressperson? Seems like a good idea to me.
It'll lengthen the process another couple of monthes for one.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
It'll lengthen the process another couple of monthes for one.
Better than a couple of years! I'm just saying...................

If a senator or congressman/woman can not expedite matters ASAP, then you should NOT re-elect them. Remember, they work for YOU not the other way around.

You really need to discuss your concerns w/an attorney. One that deals with ONLY SSI & SSDI cases. The initial consultation is free.

GOOD LUCK!
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would talk to an attorney to see what can be done. I would want to know what their fees would be as this situation is different than the standard percentage up to $6K cap (or whatever the exact amount is now)

I would also try the politician route....maybe they can light a fire under SSA's butt to move this along.

I have had similar issues re backpay for my kids d/t WC ending and their amounts adjusting......I just got their backpay last month and their new amounts should start this month, but I've been battling since 12/09. I'm mpore annoyed that I just got a form to fill out justifying how I've spent their money, wanting to know how much I've put in their savings accounts, etc. I haven't put ANYTHING in their savings accounts because they just sent the big check and I am unable to get to the bank where their savings is.....and, of course, most of the backpay went to pay back a loan I took to afford their activities while SSA was sitting on their money ! Grrrrr. Their form would have been filled out differently if they had been paying the proper amount this whole time.

Good luck in the battle.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 PM #7
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Update: After going through some old threads, I decided to call the local office and ask for the name and number of the District Manager. The case worker inquired what the issue was, and then spoke with (without putting me on hold so I could hear the conversation) the one I spoke with 3 weeks ago and hasn't been returning my calls.

I'm supposed to check back next Thursday.

Hopefully, this will be enough to stop being ignored.

If not, I'll check to see what my attorney would charge and start the process of getting help, yet again, from my U.S. Senator.

THANKS for the help!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

HELP!
Try calling Jerry at the Baltimore payment center. 410-966-3578. He helped me back in Jan. It's a coin toss if he's still there but worth a call.
bdh1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 AM #9
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcs View Post
Try calling Jerry at the Baltimore payment center. 410-966-3578. He helped me back in Jan. It's a coin toss if he's still there but worth a call.
Jerry is still there. Jerry said that it isn't his job to take phone calls from the public and to call the 800#.