advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 06:00 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hand controls

Finally got my hand controls for my cars fitted a month or two back, and am whizzing round with them like I've had them for years. It's great, my legs/feet are pretty useless (sensory motor axonal neuropathy) and I highly recommend hand controls for anyone having difficulty driving with their feet. My accelerator pedal hinges up so I have plenty of room for my feet, but the pedal can be folded down for a non disabled driver. I love it!

cheers

Raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (09-11-2011)

advertisement
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

That is super.... being independent and continuing with activities is good for the morale and hence for the whole medical situation.

I think the technical advancements for this modification have improved, so that more people can take advantage of hand controls.

Good for YOU!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Were they hard to get used to? My neurologist and PCP have both recommended that I look into hand controls but I have been worried that I wouldn't be able to learn how to use them. Also my hands are affected, not as much as my feet and legs, I have no sensation at all up to my knees and am losing muscle strength in my feet and legs; but I do have reduced strength and feeling in my hands, so I wasn't sure if it was worthwhile, since it may only be for a relatively short time.
I drive by keeping a close eye on the speedometer, as I cannot feel the pedal, also I have to be very careful what shoes I wear as some do not fit or slip off. I can only drive for about 15 minutes before I start having muscle spasms in my right foot and calf, and severe back pain.
I expect that I will be giving up driving altogether in the next few years, but I find discussions like this one interesting. I am 49.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM #4
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
Were they hard to get used to?
Hi Susanne,

No harder than standard controls - just different. Very similar learning curve, so one might want to get used to them in an empty parking lot (like learning the first time) until proficiency & confidence build.

The places that sell/install them should have test models available for you to try, which should give you an idea if it'll be right for you.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
Were they hard to get used to?
It's like the difference between driving a manual and an automatic. I had driving lessons in a dual control car fitted with hand controls, and after about 4 lessons I was good to go. I have the push to break/ down to accelerate type which are more difficult to learn than the push/pull ones, but have various advantages, especially if you live in a very hilly area like I do.

The only thing which I DON'T like is that my drivers license has been restricted so I am only legally allowed to drive with hand controls. That annoyed me, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I do worry about my arms loosing anymore strength though as I find that the controls require quite a bit of arm strength. I have a weak left arm from a stroke (I have lupus) and it is a challenge to steer with one arm only, especially seeing it is that arm. So I may end up getting my steering modified to make it easier to steer. And holding the car on a hill with the hand controls can be demanding, but doable.

overall, I love it. Much easier than driving with my feet, which are very weak. The numbness thing has never worried me with driving, but the weakness does. I was having a lot of trouble finding the accelerator, which meant i have to make the change.

cheers
raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (09-12-2011), Susanne C. (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

who notified motor vehicles to get your license restricted?
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
I wondered the same thing. Or was that one of the questions asked when you renewed your license?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
My neurologist said that she really should have my driving restricted to hand controls based on my complete loss of sensation and progressive muscle loss, but when I told her that I only drive within a 6 or 7 mile radius and never on highways, she relented. Is there some kind of requirement that they report handicapped drivers? My mother, who was at 84 very confused and suffering from oxygen deprivation had been stopped numerous times by the police for erratic driving. We could not get her pulmonoloist to have her license pulled although it was obvious that she was a hazard to herself and others.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote