advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSDI and COBRA Ins

I am in the 2nd stage of applying for SSDI (received my first denial) and am currently on COBRA ins which expires in April 2012 (18 mos). I know you can get an extension of 11 months for COBRA if you are on SSDI. My question is, what happens if the original COBRA expires before my SSDI is approved. I am on disability through my previous employer so I have too much income for Medicaid, but I certainly don't receive enough to pay my medical bills which run about $15,000/month (very expensive infusion treatments).

I contacted my employer and asked them about the extension period of 11 months. Is that a federal policy or a company policy. They didn't have an answer and will get back to me (the head of HR is a good friend of mine, so I know she will do all she can).

My question is, what should I do if I run out of insurance? If I don't get my treatments, I could easily end up in ICU on a vent (been there, done that! Not fun!)

Does anyone have any ideas for speeding up the SSDI process. Allsup is handling my claim for my disability insurance company and we are making sure we respond quickly to any requests for info and following up with my doctors to make sure they are following up quickly also. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement