advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It's always something..MrsD. PN. hyperthyroidism

I now have hyperthyroidism from too much synthroid replacement (my thyroid was removed). So here is the problem: I started to have an increase in leg weakness about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I can no longer walk with just a cane and braces. My toes are numb and tingling an I lost most of the movement in my toes on my rt foot. I figure I have been hyper for about 2 months in order to have my hair start falling out and shaky tremors, all of the usual suspects. My levels: TSH .1, t3 20, t4 200, significant levels to cause symptoms. When I first had Grave's Disease I had leg weakness to the point of not being able to get out of a chair, do steps, and falling.

I see the Neuromuscular doc next week about my motor neuropathy. This is going to complicate my evaluation, IMHO. The changes in my meds will not kick in for at least 3 weeks. So I guess it will be back to wait and watch.

mrsD, L carnitine is supposed to help drop the levels of the t3 and t4. I am taking ALC 1000 mgs a day for about 3 months. Is this enough? I hate to think what my levels would be if I had not been taking this.

Last edited by JB63; 09-22-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: omission
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I'm looking around for verification....

So far I found this... Carnitine useful in both hyper and hypo states:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15803480
Quote:
Muscle Nerve. 2005 Sep;32(3):357-9.
Muscle carnitine in hypo- and hyperthyroidism.
Sinclair C, Gilchrist JM, Hennessey JV, Kandula M.
Source

Department of Neurology, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA.
Abstract

Weakness is common in both hyper- and hypothyroidism, and skeletal muscle L-carnitine may play a role in this regard, as suggested by studies indicating abnormal levels of carnitine in serum and urine of patients with thyroid dysfunction. Skeletal muscle samples were obtained for carnitine analysis from control subjects, and from hyperthyroid and hypothyroid patients before and after treatment. There was a significant reduction in carnitine, especially the esterified portion, in hyperthyroid individuals, with a return to normal as euthyroid status was regained. In hypothyroid patients, there was a trend for carnitine to be lower than normal and for improvement once euthyroid status was attained. Our data indicate that muscle carnitine levels are affected by both hypo- and hyperthyroidism. A decrease in muscle carnitine in both conditions may contribute to thyroid myopathy.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
And this giving dose suggestions:
Quote:
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Nov;1033:158-67.
Effects of carnitine on thyroid hormone action.
Benvenga S, Amato A, Calvani M, Trimarchi F.
Source

Sezione di Endocrinologia, Dipartimento Clinico Sperimentale di Medicina e Farmacologia, University of Messina School of Medicine, 98125 Messina, Italy. s.benvenga@me.nettuno.it
Abstract

By experiments on cells (neurons, hepatocytes, and fibroblasts) that are targets for thyroid hormones and a randomized clinical trial on iatrogenic hyperthyroidism, we validated the concept that L-carnitine is a peripheral antagonist of thyroid hormone action. In particular, L-carnitine inhibits both triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) entry into the cell nuclei. This is relevant because thyroid hormone action is mainly mediated by specific nuclear receptors. In the randomized trial, we showed that 2 and 4 grams per day of oral L-carnitine are capable of reversing hyperthyroid symptoms (and biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction) as well as preventing (or minimizing) the appearance of hyperthyroid symptoms (or biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction). It is noteworthy that some biochemical parameters (thyrotropin and urine hydroxyproline) were refractory to the L-carnitine inhibition of thyroid hormone action, while osteocalcin changed in the hyperthyroid direction, but with a beneficial end result on bone. A very recent clinical observation proved the usefulness of L-carnitine in the most serious form of hyperthyroidism: thyroid storm. Since hyperthyroidism impoverishes the tissue deposits of carnitine, there is a rationale for using L-carnitine at least in certain clinical settings.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

When taking carnitine, it is best to space out the doses, because there is a limit to GI absorption for each dose.

I saw one paper where the carnitine was given IV...for a thyroid storm (hyper).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21739342
This paper has no details or abstract tho.

This article goes into detail which might be helpful for you:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/...thyroid_01.htm

What dose were you on, when this happened, if you don't mind sharing that?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
What dose were you on, when this happened, if you don't mind sharing that?
This info is terrific. I was searching most of the am, guess I didn't hit the right keywords. Thank you. It is extremely helpful and I appreciate all you do. My husband says we never realized how many body systems can be ravaged by the thyroid.

I am taking ACL 1000 mg daily for about 3 months and synthroid 150 micrograms daily since mid January.

My dose was increased last December after several months of a TSH of 20! Docs have a bad time with my levels. I was still on the low side with the thyroid levels in April, so the elevation came on kind of fast.

I also take lipolic acid, lycine, b12, d3, c, krill oil, folic acid, thiamine in the doses you have suggested and as I have previously written to you, the horrible fatigue I was having was greatly reduced.

BTW my bloodwork was positive for Hashimoto's antibody. One of the docs said it was not important.
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

You sure have been thru alot! I really feel for you!

On our Autoimmune board are some posts about thyroid fluctuations. If you search Hashimoto's there you will find some posts there. I recall reading some posters here who had wild swings up and down.

With all are new medical advances it remains difficult to control the thyroid. I think if doctors were more open minded and listened carefully to the patients instead of doing cookbook medicine with test results only, there would be less suffering.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote