advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Feet Going Numb While Working Out

My workout routines includes an elliptical workout where I burn about 250 calories. I've noticed that both my feet go completely numb when I reach the 250 calorie mark: at about 2 mile point or about 40 minutes on the elliptical.

Has anyone experienced this? It always happens whenever I work out. And it's always at the point of 250 calories or 2 miles. Sometimes, I get off of the elliptical, move my legs around, do some leg presses. Then get back on the elliptical again: the same thing happens at the 250 calorie mark or 2 miles.

What could this be related to? I am a T2 diabetic and also have Sjogren's (which could induce neuropathy). I've been tested and I'm confirmed for very mild peripheral neuropathy (my feet) due probably to diabetes, and some neuropathy of my hands (via ulnar entrapment) due to eitehr lifting weights or carpal tunnell (my prior life doing word processing) -- my hands and wrists often go numb at night while sleeping.

My BG is in goold control (A1c ~5.4) so I don't think my numb feet are diabetes-related. Could Sjogren's or some other latent autoimmune disease be causing my feet to go numb? I seem to have Raynaud's, which would mean I have secondary Raynaud's, and I am familiar enough with autoimmunity to realize that this could make me vulnerable to Scleroderma (which could also cause neuropathy).

Does anyone experience the same thing? The bottom of your feet consistently going numb after a certain point?
dolby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I've had my feet go numb a few times when I was working.

It seemed to be when I tied my shoes too tightly over the instep.

If you have a high instep, there is an alternate way to ties shoes to keep pressure off the nerves in the top of the foot.

https://www.northcoastfootcare.com/p...echniques.html

That website is very good to evaluate pain and foot discomforts.
They have nice anatomical diagrams showing where the nerves are in the foot, too.

I get numbness also when my blood sugar is low. When my thyroid was not working well, I had mega numbness in my hands too. But that kind of numbness was all the time, and not episodic.

One thing that may help if you suspect low blood sugar is to take some acetyl carnitine an hour before workouts. It helps burn fatty acids when the glucose gets too low...the mitochondria switch over and keep the energy going. It can also help with lactic acid build up from exercise.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I wear shoes with no shoelaces so I don't think that's the issue. The parts of my feet that go numb are the toes and toe mounds: all 10 toes and the toe mounds, right before the inner and outer arches. In other words, the top 1/3rd of my feet. I'm not numb below those areas. Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
It seemed to be when I tied my shoes too tightly over the instep.
dolby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:28 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had this happening to me 6 yrs ago before taking B12. Once I was taking my B12 regularly and it started helping out, the numbness went away, for the most part. I was using a gazelle at the time.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby View Post
I wear shoes with no shoelaces so I don't think that's the issue. The parts of my feet that go numb are the toes and toe mounds: all 10 toes and the toe mounds, right before the inner and outer arches. In other words, the top 1/3rd of my feet. I'm not numb below those areas. Any idea?
Most of the nerves that go to the toes are on the top of the foot.
There is a test called Tinel's sign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinel_sign

This shows distribution of compressed nerves in the foot:
http://northcoastfootcare.com/pages/...rveimpingement

The Twang they suggest is the Tinel's sign.

Is there a reason you don't put shoelaces in your shoes?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote