advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I am developing a very disturbing new neuropathy on the top of my tongue - help!

Over the years, I have suffered with what was originally diognosed as a length-dependent small-fiber neuropathy based on serial skin biopsies (but with relatively normal blood sugars).

My symptoms (burning along Eustachian Tubes, above and below eyes, ect.) originally began in my face in 2005 which responded well to Carbamezapine (suggesting 5th Trigeminal Nerve involvement). This was also the first area where I was ever affected by neuropathy.

Fortunately, I discovered Cymbalta that summer which I switched to and which worked beautifully.

Over the years my face pain essentially resolved (by 2008), whereas in 2006 and 2007 my small-fiber neuropathy first began in my calves, hands, and forearms. I then used Cymbalta on and off over the years with moderate success. I also began using supplements (circa 2008) which I have since refined over the years (Methyl B-12, Vitamin B-3, ALA, ect.).

My widespread small fiber symptoms, in-turn, have been getting better since the summer of 2009, and when I do experence them it is typically limited bilaterally to the palms of both hands. I now live essentially off medications except for very rare use of Lyrica or Cymbalta in a flair.

I should also mention that I periodically have noticed a sharp stinging or burning pain in the very tip of my tongue that might wake me up from a nap. However, I have not paid much attention to it as it is extremely infrequent.

Unfortunately, I have just noticed within the last few days an odd sensation when I drink hot or cold drinks. A first it felt like there was something in the fluid that was tingling my tongue.

To my horror this morning, I now realize that I am beginning to get a rather steady tingling or even numbness across the top of my tongue which is very disconcerting. Especially since I do not know either the cause or how severe this may become.

Could anyone who is knowledgable about I am experencing please give me some insights into what may be happening. If this progresses, would Cymbalta or Lyrica be helpful (as I would suspect that this might be small-fiber issue but now in my mouth ... ugh!).

I should also mention that I have been suffering from an upper-respiratory infection for several weeks now that I have just started taking Augmentin 875 mg x 2 daily for 10 days to treat (began as a sinus infection).

I also have not noticed any physical changes to the appearences to my tongue.

Thanks!

David
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

My first thoughts are Candida.

Do you have a coating or white areas on the tongue?

When I get minor mouth irritations, I swish with Oragel peroxide.
http://www.theonlinedrugstore.com/Or...-p/1673888.htm

Colgate makes one too, but I don't recall its name.

This foams up and kills any germs that are taking up residence in your mouth or gums.

This typically stops any mouth irritations before they get worse.

Since you are having sinus drainage and using antibiotics, I think this is the most likely cause.

If you are developing thrush, I'd get a doctor to give you nystatin, to treat it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM #3
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I'm wondering if it might not be related to the infection. I've had some that caused some pretty strange symptoms at times.

Not sure what to suggest except the same kinds of mouthwashes mrsD mentioned, and see if it doesn't resolve when the upper respiratory infection goes away. A call to your doctor couldn't hurt either, just to alert him/her.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:44 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
I'm wondering if it might not be related to the infection. I've had some that caused some pretty strange symptoms at times.

Not sure what to suggest except the same kinds of mouthwashes mrsD mentioned, and see if it doesn't resolve when the upper respiratory infection goes away. A call to your doctor couldn't hurt either, just to alert him/her.

Doc

Hi gang and thank you for your thoughts. Years ago I did indeed have a whiteish coating on my tongue so I know that Candida may have been a factor in the past. Over the years I have also periodically used Diflucan 200 mg /day on various occasions (generally for a month at a time).

However, although at the moment my tongue looks complete normal with no coating, I may give the Oragel a try.

Given my small-fiber issues over time I naturally thought (perhaps incorrectly then) that the small-fiber neuropathy might have spread to my mouth.
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My tongue and lips have become super sensitive to chilli and soda drinks like diet coke. I put it down to PN in the mouth.
zorro1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote