Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 PM #1
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Shocked Deer Eating Python in FLORIDA!

yikes! We have known for some years that Burmese pythons have been breeding in the Florida Everglades (believed after Hurrucane Andrew in the early 90s, plus people releasing their "pets" when they get too large or expensive to keep!)
but this is scary! especially considering how many tourists go to the Everglades and the growing populations that surround them and the Native American's who still call them home!

** be warned ** graphic

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Shocked

OMG.... that means one of these can eat a PERSON?

Must have been a fawn or young yearling?

There was a program on Nat Geo or Science ..recently I just caught the ending of...about SUPER huge mutant animals
resulting from the release of exotics in places like Florida.

This article seems to point in that direction.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

apparently, acc to the article
Quote:
,The 15.7-foot snake had a massive bulge from a recently consumed 76-pound female deer, the largest intact prey ever found in a Burmese python in Florida,

I was thinking about our trip to Everglades Park when the kids were younger and going out on the boardwalks that one can hike on for miles. Imagine encountering one of these super sized pythons out in the Glades on a boardwalk above an alligator infested swamp

Old 10-29-2011, 05:13 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Oh, noooooo.... I sense some nightmares coming...

When I was in Florida several years ago... South of you...in Delray and Boca, there was a museum there I visited, that had an exhibit by a wildlife photographer who did mostly the white egrets, and other birds, etc. There were so many pictures of these beautiful birds eating the exotic fish and frogs that people let out into the
canals. I recall one especially of an egret eating a huge plecostimous (sp) which is an algae eater in hobby tropical aquariums (at one time we had this fish long ago). This one the bird caught was 12-18 in long or more!
It was an eye opening exhibit.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have kept and raised pythons for several decades. I imagine you have quite a different perspective then me being stuck right in the middle of that! For what it's worth I think any of those "wild" pythons would avoid human interaction. I read that article somewhere else did it say that snake was off the beaten track or close to people?
I also think that there is a lot of misinformation out there which the media doesn't care because you have phobias+sensationalism=higher ratings.
Anyway, thats my two cents! It bothers me because I am a responsible pet keeper facing the loss of income/my hobby when my pets are banned!
Dump-Ed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM #6
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

they are beginning to find them in populated areas now too, tho that is more rare...mainly in the Everglades.

And no, I do not think this is "sensationalism" ..... as it is a very real problem here in Florida.

I did not see anything in the article or discussion suggesting that responsible owners/breeders should be banned from keeping them

This story is about them infiltrating the Everglades ecosystem, because of the escape of many when Hurricane Andrew caused such devastation and also because *irresponsible* owners are releasing them into the wild instead of surrendering them to authorities/zoos etc when they become too big to keep

A child was killed by a "pet" python here recently because her parents did not have the snake correctly housed and were not feeding it properly. They were found guilty in her death and given lengthy prison sentences. Irresponsible owners at fault again.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Shocked

OMG..........

Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Chemar, I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you. I typed "wild" meaning it is a python not supposed to be in FL. That grew up in the wild.

The articles I was referencing are about studies from scientists saying how quickly and how far the pythons can spread north. I believe later I saw that these studies were totally biased or skewed however, that is not what is remebered. That's is what I was referring to not this article.

I believe the "pet" you are talking about that killed the baby involved a couple that used a quilt as a cage top? I didn't follow that case, but that sounds like 100% murder to me!

Like I said I'm sure your perspective is different because you are in the middle of it in Florida- I didn't mean that as an insult! I would expect you to tell me how to deal with all this snow in CO! As I understand it thought you guys are swamped with tons of invasive fish, reptiles, insects, and plants too?

Anyway, my soap box was meant as a whole in reference to the fact that there is already a big problem then you add irresponsible owners, etc on top of it.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM #9
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Trig

yes, the little girl's death was tragic and horrific

caution on reading the article as it is graphic!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll check it out after my b-day dinner!!!