Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Nausea

Admittedly, I haven't been taking my condition seriously enligt Being à "do" person, I expected to be on top of things only à few days post concussion .
So now I am 4wks post concussion , and I feel nauseous every morning I tries making curtains for My daughter, but by the time I had measured the fabric and cut à straight line i was foggy, fuzzy, nauseous.
How long has your nausea persisted?
Inquisit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

It sounds like your nausea may be lasting longer than is common to PCS. Have you tried eating ginger snap cookies in the morning? They (the ginger) have great anti-nausea properties.

As far as how long your PCS symptoms will last, there is no rule to go by. Every concussion is different. Comparing just makes people more anxious. I suggest you take it easy and rest and try to be patient.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 11-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamisue (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:30 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile nausea

Inquisit,

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your nausea. Just wanted to let you know that I am at about 2 years PCS and still have nausea. But, it has gotten considerably better! More of an annoyance now than a major problem.

It was intolerable for many months. I could barely eat anything and am not surprised that you are still having issues with your symptoms. What really helped me was the drug Zofran. It can be expensive but is worth it. I hope that you can ask your doctor for the prescription. Usually I cannot tolerate any meds but this one is a lifesaver. Good luck and hope you feel better!
postconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I actually had some mild-to-moderate nausea kick in after a few months, in part because I wasn't at home for about a month and my diet wasn't that great during that time. Probably a combination of diet + vulnerability from PCS.

I drank a lot of Traditional Medicinals "Ginger Aid" tea, improved my diet, and started on "Bio-K" probiotic yogurt on the advice of my naturopath (I'm still taking it - it's not cheap, but it seems to be helpful).

The nausea/upset stomach gradually went away after about a month - it's pretty much a non-issue at this point.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi...I am a year out and nausea has been up and down for me. I had a few months that I had a reprieve but since July it has been an ongoing issue for me. I try to keep my diet as healthy and simple a possible and avoid foods that would make matters worse. Anyways, sorry you are struggling with this too!!!!!
musiclover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Nausea was my most disruptive symptom for the first month or six weeks. I took Zofran like clockwork and even got my doctor to bump up my dose. It was TERRIBLE. I could only eat very very bland things.

I did not really start resting until maybe a month after my injury. I was staying home from work, but I was still checking work email, sending in lesson plans, etc. A couple of weeks after I stopped doing that, the nausea gradually subsided.

It is definitely a sign that you are overdoing, so if you feel it coming on you have probably already done too much. REST, REST, REST. Rest your body, rest your brain. Lie in a dark, quiet room and stare at the ceiling or your eyelids as much as you can for several days.

Home remedies for nausea are ginger ale and mint tea. If this doesn't cut it, you can also ask your doctor about anti-nausea medications like Zofran.

Good luck. Hope it passes quickly.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am about 2.5 years and nausea started only after I tried medicines like Cymbalta, Neurotin etc., I still have nausea and when it gets terrible I take some Pepto-Bismol. I may get a prescription of Zofran since some times it cripples me.
pcslife is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Still have nausea many days at 1 1/2 years pcs. I do generally feel better if I make myself eat.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you

Thank you for your advice I Will definitely try to incorporate ginger into my diet. Where I live the season for gingerbread biscuits has just started - now I have à good reason not to abstain
Inquisit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I sometimes get nausea, as well. Found that over-the-counter anti-histamines solves the problem (diphenhydramine). I usually take these anyway for hay fever, and found that increasing the adult dose by 50% also relieves any nausea.
NOTE: before trying anything like this, consult your physician, especially if considering any kind of non-standard dose. I am sharing my personal experience for infomational purposes only.

Good luck.
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote