advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Approved for SSDI-but error on secondary disabilty!What to do?

Hi everybody! New question from me. My husband was just recently approved for SSDI. His case wasnt denied at any point, he applied, case went to quality review then he was fine to go.

In the mail he did not recieve any letter of approval or award letter. I'm not sure why? Anyway,we found out he won by calling the 800# and then our local SSA office.

My reason for this post is that just yesterday(Saturday) we received a copy of his award letter that we needed for my husband to extend his Cobra benefits. But when we read what he was approved on there is a error. My husband has many health issues- Depression,anxiety, Irritable bowel, epilpesy and a type of Arthrits called-Reiters syndrome.

But he letter reads- Primary disability - Epilepsy ( Which is correct, because that is his main problem. Then it reads- secondary disability-Rheumatoid arthritis when he actually has - Reiters syndrome arthritis.

So my question is, will this be a problem come reveiw time? His review is set at 3 yrs, they said because he is so young-43, that they will review his at least every 3 years.

Should I call the 800# or go to the local SSA office? And is there any chance this error could cause his case to be looked at all over again?

Or is this not a big deal since its the secondary disability? Or are both the primary and secondary reviewed exactly the same?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just suffering from anxiety myself due to our financial situation, my husbands health and keeping up with the children.

Any info/help would be great!

Thanks again
untilthebell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Maybe every state is different but I've never heard of a primary or secondary disability. I have A and B for impairments and I'm disabled with one or both.
As long as he has one impairment ,he shouldn't have to worry about a review but the secondary diasbility has me stumped.
At the time I filed for SSDI, A was the impairment and B was a work in progress impairment that has worsened over time. They also mentioned another impairment in my approval letter but it wasn't listed as an impairment for disability.
Babyboomer15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It may not be an error. Some medical conditions/disability fall into certain medical categories as seen fit by the federal government.

Please click on the following links to see if any apply to your husband:

Listing of Impairments

Disability Evaluation

Mental Disorders - Adult

Disabling Conditions
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomer15 View Post
Maybe every state is different but I've never heard of a primary or secondary disability.
Neither have I. However, I very much suspect that the rules have changed somewhat since the time we originally were approved for disability. Due to the economy the people filing for SSI & SSDI have tripled.
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0426510015

The diagnosis codes are general. Some less common specific diagnosis may be coded under a generic code since there may not be a diagnosis code for that specific illness.

A person can have only one or two diagnosis codes listed in the summary of the finding of disability and on the computer record even if they have 5 or 10 illnesses or conditions.

The ALJ can write paragraphs and paragraphs, but the computer record holds one or two codes.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote