Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question dazed...and confused.

This is my first visit to any forum, but after browsing though the threads, I feel like I found the best place for PCS information and support one could hope for! After reading many many posts, I am starting to accept that what I feel is at least "par for the course" for having PCS.
I went to a neurologist about a week after my concussion per my GP, but felt like I was readily dismissed as this is "just what it's like to get a concussion". He told me if it would make me feel better get a second Ct scan but I never went because I don't see the benefit of sitting in the ER (to get a ct scan in the middle of the night) just for the sake of it. The point is, does everyone follow up with their GP or a neurologist? Is there anything I can do literally to abate these horrific symptoms? When they say "rest"- am I supposed to take days off? or a week? The symptoms are the usual round up of suspects: vertigo like dizzyness, ear aches, nausea, short term memory loss, emotional outbursts, being a space cadet and generally feeling like I'm two and a half steps behind on even the simplest tasks. Plus, I can't get my sleep to extend more than a few hours.
I tried to ignore all of this and continue working and going to school ( but I work in an industry with unpredictable hours) but now I feel worse than ever. What is it about regular life that is making this worse? I am confused and am embarrassed to go back to the neurologist to ask my questions. Sorry for the rant. I would really appreciate any advice! I'm 29, F if that matters. And thanks for listening
paperorganix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-11-2011, 04:12 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry for your reason for being here but you have found a good place.

The simplest way to describe rest as needed for a concussion is to do nothing that has an agenda, whether it is a time limit, productivity goal, trying to meet others expectations, etc. In the early stages, it literally means resting or napping.

A good schedule would be something like this.

Get up in the morning.

Take a shower or do whatever you do first thing after getting up. Do it without any time constraints.

Have a good breakfast. This should include good nutrition and supplements such as B vitamins, Omega 3's and all of the anti-oxidants.

Avoid caffeine. You do not need to have a chemical wake you up. Let your brain decide to wake up. Also avoid MSG and anything with processed soy. The glutamate is counter to brain healing.

Some very light reading or TV viewing like watching the weather report can be OK. Do not push this routine to 'feel normal.'

Maybe do some household chores. Nothing strenuous. Clean up the kitchen, etc. Get the hubby off to work and kids off to school with as little stress as possible.

Sit down and relax. Maybe play a few hands of Solitaire with a deck of playing cards. This should not be strenuous. Just some manual stimulation with some gentle visual stimulation. Again, no pressure. Just relax and go through the motions.

If at any point, you feel spacey or have trouble focusing with your eyes, stop and relax with your eyes closed. Maybe listen to some quiet music, with head phones or ear buds if possible. Keep the volume low.

If you feel like you are going to doze off, do it in a comfortable spot with good back and neck posture. Neck injuries are common with concussions.

When you feel up to it, get up and do some more simple tasks or activities. It is better to keep you hands busy that your brain. Simple manual activities are great therapy. Sewing, knitting, playing cards, polishing silver (no harsh smelling chemicals) anything with more manual involvement that mental. Your hands can not go fast enough to over-stimulate your brain, except if you try to play video games. Playing a musical instrument may be a good activity.

A low key walk can be OK but be sure to take short laps so you do not find yourself too far from home and needing to rest. Good resilient shoes are best to limit the jarring from planting your foot with each step.

Follow a similar routine with lunch and dinner/supper. Moderation is any and all activities. Family needs to be fully involved in keeping the chaos to a bare minimum. No loud music or TV's or video games blaring.

Healing is a marathon, not a sprint. The cognitive issues may take quite some time to get better. The head aches, too, but keeping stress low can help with the head aches for some PCS sufferers.

If you have a good day, be thankful and plan to lay low in hopes of having another good day. One good day does not mean a recovery. Sixty good days in a row may be a good sign of recovery but not an excuse to go overboard wit activities.

Listen to you brain and body, if you don't feel up to an activity, don't do it. If you get any feeling of being spaced out, stop and rest for the rest of the day. Note what you were doing before the spacey feeling came on. It is likely one of many triggers of your PCS symptoms.

When you feel up to it, Download and print the TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com. When you have time, watch the "You Look Great" YouTube video series (six chapters). It will help if your family watches this series too. Show them the TBI Survival Guide with your symptoms highlighted.

The more people you get in your corner to help you and watch out for you, the better.

And, don't try to compare your PCS with others. there is no way to compare symptoms. Every person is different. Comparing just creates and opportunity for anxiety. Anxiety is your enemy. Rest and patience is your friend.

My bets to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-19-2012)
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk one day at a time ....

Thank you thank you!!! It's been another long/short night of not much sleep but this is great to wake up to. I feel like I have a head cold!! bah!!!
Anyway, I'm going to really try to take the rest advice and stop trying to work 12 hours a day and do school for 4...or try to resume running :-/. I was supposed to run a half marathon in 3 weeks...Safe to say I will have to cancel it. It's amazing how much information there is to learn about the brain. Thanks again Mark. I'll be lingering around the forums reading everyone's stories
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As Mark said, this is a great place for information and support! Sorry you are joining us...

I am 26, F, and before my accident was working full time and going to grad school 3 nights a week, putting in 16 hour days all week and then doing homework during the weekend and all my other life responsiblities.

Since my accident, and having PCS, I had to stop working and stop going to Grad school. It was the only way I could truly rest and let my brain recover. 9 months later, I have made a ton of progress via vestibular, physical and vision therapy. My concussion doctor is hoping the next time he sees me, I'll be ready to try adding in Grad school again or a part time job.

Mark's advice is great. I'll add that, you really and truly should take time off from work and from school. Both can be really overstimulating and for me, there is no way I could kept either up at the beginning. And now, I'm wise enough from experience to know that if I tried doing these things right now I probably could, but it would cause me a great amount of pain and frustration. Hopefully with a few more months of therapies, I'll be ready to start adding that stuff back in.

Wishing you the best in your recovery and hope that you are able do what you need to do to take care of yourself and your brain
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was a lot like you before my injury. I worked mad crazy hours. I was on my feet for ten plus hours. I was training for the Warrior Dash so I was up to seven miles a day walking. When I was first injured I was told to rest. No one told me what that meant. They gave me my diagnosis but didn't elaborate at all. I wasn't able to see an Neurologist for over a month.

I pushed myself in the beginning. Looking back I think I knew I was pretty bad but refused to accept it. I didn't rest like I should. I would go to the store (torture). I tried to walk (more torture). I couldn't sleep. I was scared.

My occupational MD decided I can go back to work. So for two weeks I did. I think this relapsed me big time. It wasn't until I went to the Head Injury Clinic did I realize this wasn't going away quickly. They pulled me from work and it's been four months and they still wont clear me. I'm out at least for the rest of the year.

I know it's hard to rest when your used to such an active lifestyle. Listen to Mark's advise he is really good at it. His knowledge has helped me alot.

Joining this support group is a good step. I applaud you on realizing you may need some advise from other people who are going through this.

At times it's going to feel like your going crazy and this is the place to vent.

I realized that alot of my symptoms are common with PCS.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. I will say a head injury takes time. Patience is needed (where I have none).

I hope this helps....
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome - this site is a great resource, with lots of caring and helpful people. Here are a few suggestions re recovery:

- As much as possible, try to stay "sub-threshold" of symptoms (this gets easier as you make progress, although recovery is inevitably somewhat of a rollercoaster)

- You need both cognitive and physical rest. There are different ways to overexert yourself, so be careful and attentive. At around the two-week mark, I was taking it pretty easy and improving but got slammed with a setback after picking up and carrying my 45-lb nephew a few times - the lifting was too much exertion

- Also, symptoms can be delayed, so take things slowly and in very small increments - you might not feel the effects of activities for several hours, or until the next day

- Be patient and optimistic - it generally does get better, but recovery can take a while

- Don't skip meals

- Give your body lots of good nutrition

- Avoid hitting your head a second time!

- Avoid jarring yourself

- Find ways to minimize stress (easier said than done, but very important - be persistent, you will learn ways of doing this over time)

- Create a restful sleeping environment: dark, quiet, comfortable bed, comfortable sleeping clothes, good temperature for sleeping
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-20-2012)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:49 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face acceptance.. stinks.

wow.. this is a wake up call for me . Like everyone else, I don't think I would stop trying to do everything but for the physical aspect (pain) of it holding me back... The challenge is accepting that it's going to take time and patience, both of which are not my forte. sigh. Thanks everyone for the support. It's hard to accept the reality of "slowing down" when you're so used to doing 45 things at once. On the flip side, it's a good time to adjust perspective.
I agree with the whole set back effect from going back to work/resuming exercise. Two weeks into work and with two endeavors on a short run under my belt, I woke up feeling worse than day 3. hence, I found this forum before I ran myself into the ground. Alright everyone, I'm off to "relax" , or at least for a first step, stay home from work and not still work, go for a run and clean the house.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was also a go-getter. I taught (high school kids) through the whole first week after my concussion. Finally, at the end of the week, I was having physical pain from kids giggling and realized I needed to stop.

Even the first weeks I was home, I was resting my body but not my brain -- I was still checking work email and grading papers and sending in lesson plans. I tried to come back for a full day the second week and then had a grading marathon getting semester grades done the next day. This led to a second and much worse setback which ended up keeping me out for the entire second semester.

So, take the time you need on the front end, and work up to it slowly when you try to come back. The more rest you get early on, hopefully the less you will need over the long haul.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Also, from what I understand, running is typically contraindicated. Gentle exercise that doesn't jar the body might be better.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:11 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ditto what everyone else has already expressed. I am a college student again-but had to take off last semester. I've improved and signed up for next semester but still apprehensive.

Listen to your body. Don't push it. Rest. Give your brain time to try to find the connections that were broken. I'm so tired of hearing what I'm going to say....but, it's the truth. It just takes time.

Good luck!
tamisue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
pcs... what a mess!