Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Walking question

This might seem like an obvious question, but how do you know when you're ready to try walking at normal speed?

I've been doing slow walking (in comfortable trainers with good cushioning) for several months. I'm now walking every day, and 2x or 3x on some days. Most of the time, my body still "wants" to go slow, so I'm still taking things very deliberately, but I don't know whether this is because I'm now used to going slow (sort of a chicken-or-the-egg scenario).

Does your body "let you know" that it's OK to start going faster, or do you have to push yourself a bit and see what happens? I guess I could try walking for 15 mins slowly and adding in a few minutes of normal walking here and there and gradually build up.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In my experience, I have to push myself a bit and then see how I do. You could add "fartleks" (small random bursts of speed) into your walk and see how that goes. You probably need to pay attention to how you feel afterwards as well as during -- at least for me, the overload doesn't usually show up until later.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Test yourself. Make sure you have a couple days afterwards that you dont have much to do in case you experience a setback. But sounds like you have been taking it nice and slow and resting a lot, so it will hopefully go well for you! Good luck!
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (11-14-2011), tamisue (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I pushed myself a little bit at least once a week and I noticed I felt worse immediately after but the next time I went out, it was easier to do. This "pushing" isn't the amount of pushing you do when healthy... it's minor but you will feel it. Don't push it all the time though. You'll know when it's too much and you will feel awful and crazy. : ) Once a week was enough for me. More than that and I would feel aggitated.
freezerdoor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think it's varies based on the person. I just started walking again. The first couple of days my head was pounding. I kept going and it got better. I dream about running but I'm afraid of bouncing my brain around like that. I do bursts of fast walking. I get nervous because of my clumsyness. I do miss the days of running carefree, doing gymnastics in the yard. I think all we can do is try and see.

Good luck...
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (11-15-2011)