Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default new to this...

Hi all...I have a few updates. Thank you so much for checking on me everyone. You guys are the best....your thoughts and words have helped me live through this really tough time. I went to the neurologist....I am scheduled for an MRI and EEG next week. They did blood tests. he said my posture was not good indicating something going on and also that i am unbalanced. the diagnosis was psychiatric disease, headache (we will find the cause of it by doing further tests) and rule out encephalopathy (whatevr that is). he was very concerned when he did the neuro exam. he asked would i consider being hospitalized (at a mental health facility). i also seen a new therapist (i didnt like that much due to my social anxiety)...i was prescribed risperdal 1mg (not sure what this is used for) and she also recommended i go inpatient. i am soooo afraid.....my symptoms are getting worse. i am more dizzy (unstable) and have this buzzing noise that i hear in my head which almosts floors me and alters my vision even more.. anyone can relate? Any insight?

I have had severe head injury from abuse and also sexual assaults. i just had another recent head injury when a 12 foot piece of sheetrock fell on me and i hit my head on the floor.
ladydeedee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-16-2011)

advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

ladydeedee,

I have not seen any of your prior posts so i am not familiar with your situation. But, I can answer a few questions for you.

<rule out encephalopathy (whatevr that is)>
Encephalopathy is a shrinking or atrophying of the brain. The encephalopathy related to repeated brain trauma is called CTE. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is being studied among athletes, especially football players. It can progress even after the source of brain trauma is stopped.

The MRI may be targeted at measuring your brain volume compared to your skull size. Excessive fluid filling empty spaces indicates encephalopathy.

Risperdal (risperidone) is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder. It is not uncommon for many psychotropic drugs to be tried for a variety of off-label uses.

There is great value to inpatient treatment. The ability to be observed and tested throughout the day can afford an opportunity to detect symptoms that are not observable in a clinic visit.

If you have two professionals recommending an inpatient setting, it is likely a good idea. Don't let your anxiety prevent you from getting the help you need.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Mark. That was very helpful. I understand.....I am having some additional "symptoms" which causes my doctors some concern. I will try to go inpatient....it is so scary for me. I was just about to go today during my doctor visit with my therapist but then backed out at the last minute. Thank you for the info....it has help clear up somethings I was unclear on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
ladydeedee,

I have not seen any of your prior posts so i am not familiar with your situation. But, I can answer a few questions for you.

<rule out encephalopathy (whatevr that is)>
Encephalopathy is a shrinking or atrophying of the brain. The encephalopathy related to repeated brain trauma is called CTE. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is being studied among athletes, especially football players. It can progress even after the source of brain trauma is stopped.

The MRI may be targeted at measuring your brain volume compared to your skull size. Excessive fluid filling empty spaces indicates encephalopathy.

Risperdal (risperidone) is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder. It is not uncommon for many psychotropic drugs to be tried for a variety of off-label uses.

There is great value to inpatient treatment. The ability to be observed and tested throughout the day can afford an opportunity to detect symptoms that are not observable in a clinic visit.

If you have two professionals recommending an inpatient setting, it is likely a good idea. Don't let your anxiety prevent you from getting the help you need.

My best to you.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Good luck!
tamisue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM #5
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Re: don't be afraid

[Don't be afraid ladydeedee. This in hospital thing can be a very good experience. I will be thinking of you, and hoping you get the help you need. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

They just added haldol to the list of my medications and I am expected to go inpatient on tuesday....this gives me an opportunity to spend time with my son because I have a feeling that they will keep me for a while.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Re: hospital

Dear Ladydeedee, I will be here waiting for you. I hope your hospital experience is a good one. I have every confidence that they will be able to help you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. ginnie
Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update

I am back home now from the hospital! i am reporting for day treatment daily as outpatient
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydeedee View Post
I am back home now from the hospital! i am reporting for day treatment daily as outpatient
I'll be praying for you during this time. Keep us posted.
redwing88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ladydeedee (03-20-2012)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default RE: home Yeh!

Hello Lady DeeDee, I am so glad to hear that you are home again. Can you update us and let me know how you are doing. I hope that while you were in the hospital they were able to help you, and provide a solution to some of your symptoms. I told you I would not forget you! You continue to be in my thoughts, and I hope you feel much better now. ginnie