advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSDI website

Good evening from NY,

My question is: I received a fully favorable decision letter on November3,2011 for SSDI. I was told in the letter it could take up to 90 days to here anything. Well today I checked the SSA website to "check status" of application (as I had been doing daily since receiving the letter and it kept saying, no decision had been made) and today it finally said A decision has been made, you will be notified by mail.

Now does this take an additional 30,60,90 days to receive the awards letter? Or do you think once it is in their system, I should be receiving it soon? Just curious. In the original letter (fully favorable) it stated that it would go to a processing unit and could take up to 90 days....so that is where I assumed the long waiting time would come in to play....was hoping that once it hit the SSA computer, it would start the ball rolling!!

thanks for any infor you may have!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Sonny1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think some have said they got a check before any "letter" even arrived, so if you have direct deposit set up for it , check that often - or set up a email alert thru your bank's website , to tell you when any deposits are made.

best of luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM #3
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

It took me something like 6 months before I started receiving my monthly checks, but that was due in part to the complication of WC income, I'm sure. If you have an urgent need (like inability to pay mortgage or rent and paying utilities, then you might to call or stop by your local office to get an estimate. Weekly calls are appropriate. Daily will irritate most.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
It took me something like 6 months before I started receiving my monthly checks, but that was due in part to the complication of WC income, I'm sure. If you have an urgent need (like inability to pay mortgage or rent and paying utilities, then you might to call or stop by your local office to get an estimate. Weekly calls are appropriate. Daily will irritate most.
AHH, I too have that WC income thing going on at the same time! I guess it is too late to say I have an urgent need for anything per say, I am already headed for bankruptcy (except for my vehicle and house). So I guess the standard 30-90 days is for somebody who has no other obstacles in their way!

I used to work in government and would never think of treating people how SSA, DMV etc. treats people. It's like, it is your job. You knew what you applied for, you are not responsible to take any of the work home with you, you get great benefits, union protection (I think) (I was), numerous days off, every holiday and then some etc....and they treat people like less than human.

Anyways, thank you for your input!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
I think some have said they got a check before any "letter" even arrived, so if you have direct deposit set up for it , check that often - or set up a email alert thru your bank's website , to tell you when any deposits are made.

best of luck.
Thank you for the bank alert tip, I was not aware of any such thing. My attorney had mentioned that I may see money before any awards letter also. But now I see from LITLUV below that their payments didn't start until 6 months after, due to being paid WC benefits as well. I am in the same boat. But my attorney is handling both cases and he never mentioned that to me, so hopefully it will turn out different!!!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM #6
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

It doesn't mean it will take that long, just that it might. Call your attorney and verify SS has a current record of all your WC payments going back to when you claimed SS disability onset.

I did actually receive a closed period award many years ago, that had the same WC offset issues, and I received the money before I received the award letter. So, these timetables are highly unreliable.

Another NT poster related that by going into their local office, they were able to print him/her a copy of the award letter--I would not normally advise this, but with an update on the SS website, you might realistically be able to do the same. It might also show up in your mailbox within the next week...

Is your attorney aware of your foreclosure issue? If not, tell him/her. See if he/she will do anything on your behalf to expedite payment. They might recommend you seek the help of US Senator or US Congressperson (sp?) which is a good option. Even a partial payment would be helpful, I'm sure.

WC income can cause an offset, but doen't always. The ridiculous delays I've dealt with (my son is still waiting for the last 1/2 of his backpay, and they've had my updated WC info for a year, so we've had to request help yet again) makes me think they stick the difficult cases at the bottom of the pile. And WC doesn't always provide the records when asked either. I've found they're less likely to ignore faxed requests since there is physical proof they received notification (Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested would work too.)

You are facing homelessness potentially--unless you have money squirreled away--so you absolutely should claim a dire need.

It appears the $3000 relocation incentive the government offers is for short sales only (some lenders are offering as much as 30k to prevent foreclosures as well) but just in case you haven't hit that point of no return, I thought I'd mention these options.

In many states you will qualify for "medically needy" Medicaid with your SSDI approval. When you qualify for Medicare, some state's will even cover your part b deductible. If you need the help of an aid, some will cover the cost of extra help as well.

Make sure you do not co-mingle your SSDI backpay with any other funds!!! SSDI funds are not subject to liens by your creditors (with the exception of the US government.) So make sure the account info you provided for direct deposit has a bare minimum of funds available. Open a second account if needed. If you have a problem doing so, pm me and I'll get you a link for banks that don't use Chexsystems for you.

There are other resource ideas in the Catch 22 sticky I started.

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 11-23-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added on
Old 11-23-2011, 05:24 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am sorry if I was not clear, I am not losing my house or my car. I am possibly going to have to file bankruptcy on other debt, like credit cards and such. My husband does work and we are making the mortgage payments thank goodness. I do appreciate your advice and information though! It is important to me that I know I can come here and get much needed support and information. These hoops that WC, SS, put us through are stressful.

I am hopeful that things can go as smoothly as possible and that I can avoid any bankruptcy and focus on my pain management.

I may try to call my local office Friday and see if they can give me any information.

Thank you again!!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny1 View Post
I am sorry if I was not clear, I am not losing my house or my car. I am possibly going to have to file bankruptcy on other debt, like credit cards and such. My husband does work and we are making the mortgage payments thank goodness. I do appreciate your advice and information though! It is important to me that I know I can come here and get much needed support and information. These hoops that WC, SS, put us through are stressful.

I am hopeful that things can go as smoothly as possible and that I can avoid any bankruptcy and focus on my pain management.

I may try to call my local office Friday and see if they can give me any information.

Thank you again!!
hi sonny1 i had to declare bankruptcy.i had no choice.i had no choice.cause i turn down for my "SSDI"and i had my "WC"payments reduce.so i was devistated finacially.but my was all due to my doctor not believeing i was injuried that bad(but that another long story).but anyway all i all it turned out good for me in the end.but i had to do what i had to do
don1956 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1956 View Post
hi sonny1 i had to declare bankruptcy.i had no choice.i had no choice.cause i turn down for my "SSDI"and i had my "WC"payments reduce.so i was devistated finacially.but my was all due to my doctor not believeing i was injuried that bad(but that another long story).but anyway all i all it turned out good for me in the end.but i had to do what i had to do
Hey Don1956!,

How are things going for you? I know you are waiting patiently for your SSDI checks to come in January, right? Sometimes ridding ourselves of added burdens (financial overload) is best, in order to move ahead and focus on health and a new beginning. I hope despite all that is happening you are able to enjoy the holiday tommorrow. Find something or things to be thankful for, I know I will. I am sitting here right now at my home (where we have thanksgiving dinner each year) and my mom comes over to do the cooking!!! So i am sitting here watching her start the cooking for tomorrow....how rough is that? lol.

Hopefully I will hear something soon and I will update you all!!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM #10
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

I officially feel like a ninny... Sonny your earlier post was clear!

Before you file for BK or pay a dime to debt collectors (not the original creditors--but if things have progressed to collection agencies) please do some research about your legal options. The Statute of Limitations on debt in NY is 6 years--rather long. A great resource of info is at the forums (free) at www.creditboards.com where there are experts that can help you. Make sure you mention the SSDI backpay if you post there.