Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I'm thankful...

It's been a tough few months and I keep seeing on TV people who are struggling so much in this economy. Myself included since my accident. I can obsess on all the wrong things that has happened in the last year. The accident, my husband on workmans comp, the health care bills that aren't stopping etc... but I said to myself that the "poor me" attitude just isn't me. So I started to think to myself...

I'm thankful for my family. I have two boys that I adore. My husband is so caring and thoughtful through all of this. I have a roof over my head and a turkey to cook for tomorrow. I may have to sell my home but I think ok...no sadness... a new beginning perhaps. My family is healthy and that's worth it's weight in gold.

I am thankful for all the support I found when I signed up for Neurotalk. It's been so refreshing to have people in my life who understand what we go through. I only wish I had found you guys sooner!!!

I've lost alot of friends since my accident but I dont dwell... I tell myself that true friends would have stuck around so poop on them!!! lol I've opened myself up to accepting new friends and new relationships. Perhaps shedding the friends who aren't the best for me was another blessing in disguise.

I'm not going to let the stress of the holidays get me down. I'm just so thankful I'm healthy enough to enjoy them. Maybe not full scale but I'm starting to think less is better.... :0)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (02-11-2012)

advertisement
Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is a great attitude to have. You are a very special person and if friends disappeared from your life....they werent meant to be part of your life. The true ones shine through and that makes all the difference. The exact same thing happened to me. I definetly dwelled on it in the beginning, but now i see it as a blessing in disguise because it opened me up to new friends and loving the ones that stuck by me even more. Everything happens for a reason, we just dont know it yet. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the day with your friends and family.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (02-11-2012)
Old 11-24-2011, 01:51 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I didn't think it was possible for a year to be crazier than 2010, but 2011 beat it hands down.

Today, I'm thankful
* that God has provided what we need through the whole year, even when it seemed impossible,
* for my amazing husband and his commitment to me and our family,
* for extended family and friends who have showed their love in words and actions,
* that I'm able to work part time, and that my school has been so supportive about creating a situation that's good for everyone
* and, finally, that I can sit in the living room with my family when the TV is on (something I could barely do six months ago)!

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xxxxcrystalxxxx (11-28-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am thankful for the following (to name a few things among many):

- I have improved so much since my injury, and am starting to feel some semblance of normal again

- My lovely girlfriend, who has resolutely supported me through all this

- My fabulous and kind doctor, who has also supported me throughout this process

- The few friends and family members who have made a real effort to understand this injury and help and support me

- God's green earth, which surrounds and shelters me every day when I open the blinds or go for a walk outside
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm thankful to still be alive. That tops my list this year. I'm thankful that after almost five months of BPPV (vertigo) that it seems to be gone from the right side. Once it's gone from the left, I'm celebrating-again!
tamisue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: