Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Any success with Ativan?

I just got prescribed some Ativan from the ER last night. I went there because of they way my mind has been lately, I've been feeling like I'm not even sane. I'm just overly anxious and keep saying I don't know what to do with myself... So far since I've been taking it last night, it seems to have calmed down the thoughts. They still kind of break through a little but its easier to shake them. I've been afraid I'm going to completely snap and lose control of my mind...anyways, has anyone else had this problem and what medicine do you take to eleviate it? Thanks.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I take ativan as needed for anxiety.

Just a thought... the kind of anxiety you are experiencing seems to be a constant struggle. Perhaps you need an SSRI to maintain some calmness all the time? Ativan is not a good option for constant anxiety because you can get hooked on it.

I currently take effexor (an SSRI) daily to keep my anxiety managed over the long term. My ativan is then used when I have a panic attack (not too often now), to help bring my anxiety back under control.
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What's an SSRI and what's the difference between Effexor and Ativan? Sounds like you have a pretty good combination that works for you, might have to try that out. I'm gonna talk to my doctor the next time I see him.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Ativan (lorazepam) is a benzodiazapine. It is a sedative type of anti-anxiety drug. It is not good for long term or maintenance use. They will make you sleepy or lethargic during the day. I was taking a benzo years ago. Never again.

An SSRI is a Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor. It basically slows the way serotonin is used in the brain allowing it to be more effective. Prozac, Paxil (paroxetine which is what I take), Celexa, Lexapro, and Zoloff are the most popular. These are anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drugs.

There are also SNRI's. Selective Noepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors. They are Duloxetine (Cymbalta), Venlafaxine (Effexor, Effexor XR), and Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq). They are used as anti-depressants.

SSRI's take a few weeks to six weeks get maximum effect. They have a number of side effects depending on the tolerance of the patient. They are not habit forming but can be difficult to stop taking. I mistakenly stopped taking my Paxil about 2 months ago for 10 days and my life was miserable. My wife said I had a vacant expression and personality.

I suggested getting a prescription for propanolol to try to lower your blood pressure. Blood pressure spikes are common with anxiety attacks. Lowering BP can be very helpful at relieving the anxiety attack.

I would try BP meds long before trying a benzo. The BP med works very quickly and does not cause sleepiness or sluggishness. It would be good to get an at-home Blood Pressure kit to see if your anxiety attacks are accompanied by a spike in BP .

If your anxiety attacks include a head ache, this is a good symptom of a spike in BP.

Learning to manage your stimulation is a first step. The BDay party was definitely an over-stimulating event.

Over-stimulation causes a rush of adrenaline which raises your BP. Anything you can do to get your BP back down will be a big help.

Anti-anxiety drugs are a band-aid over the symptom. Learning to moderate stimulation to prevent the anxiety will help you learn great life skills that you may need for a long time.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (05-20-2012), SpaceCadet (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

ativan had zero effect on me

Last edited by steelrat; 12-13-2011 at 03:25 PM.
steelrat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have the anxiety now the past 2 weeks dr gave me 10 lorazopans I just taken the last one I noticed it helps with the panic attacks always before I sleep. I lay in bed with my wife then a where my injury is a pain starts an I panick like I am going to have a stroke or aneurism an I lay there for 1-2 hours or more before I sleep since the larazipan I calm down and sleep free a hour but I ran out ad seems it only helps me sleep is it addictive in my system now ?

I have mild insomnia I tos and turn thinking to much and then anxiety kicks its ugly head in then I pop a lazarpan. One dr proscribed me 5mg of some sleep aid I didn't even pick up the prescription and he gave me a headache med naproxen for my nightly headaches which I read causes heart attack and strokes as a side effect. So I dunno what to take to helpe sleep at night.

Cause I get this headache migrane pain then I panick then can't sleep I'm almost 5 weeks into my post concuasion syndrome
Cjm028 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 AM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Cjm,

I used to take Klonopin ( a benzo like Lorazepam) to sleep but it left me too sleepy. I was switched to gabapentin and I like it much better. I take 600 to 900 mgs an hour before bed. It helps my body and mind settle down. It is not habit forming and has minimal side effects.

I suggest you ask your doctor if you can try gabapentin. It is generic and affordable.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Lorazepam is highly addictive, and dangerously so. I would suggest that you find an alternative if possible.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In addition to or instead of medications, cognitive behavioral therapy is very helpful for managing anxiety. You can ask for a referral to a therapist who specializes in it or you can get a book such as The Feeling Good Handbook or SOS Help for Emotions.

Exercise also can be an effective way to manage acute anxiety.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:58 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I started with Xanax (which helped a lot to remain sane) and then doctors switched to Klonopin. They always tell me to take it in the night. I found it makes me terrible next day if I take it in the night. All are benzos BTW.

So I took very small dosage (.125 mg) in morning and doesn't make me that sleepy and even gave me energy. I took it for my dizziness and heavy head. Got switched to Klonopin since it is longer lasting which affected my sleep, gave a metallic taste in my throat and woke up with sleep apnea every day in the morning.

Tried to quit, dizziness came with a vengeance. Then switched to Xanax and able to wean off and quit. Few months ago ended up in ER bcuz of dizziness, heart palpitation, pain etc., and gave me morphin which sure temporarily relieved all the symptoms. First time in my life came to realize how opium can give such a high instantaneously

I tried Elavil, CYMBALTA (worst medicine for me), Neurontin etc., and nothing worked for my main symptoms. For me quitting Elavil (10 mg) became a big challenge. Has many sleepless nights, nausea etc.,

Now when I feel out of it with dizziness, pain, fatigue, anxiety and symptoms can't really explain I take a little bit of Xanax. If I have symptoms and have to drive for a distance then also I take it which sure helps mainly with dizziness and anxiety. I am already on Verapamil and Trileptal which helps but some times nothing helps.

I can take a small dose and don't have to take for a week or 2 weeks. Going to ER or take Xanax - I chosen to take Xanax. I have 2 docs in family (one is a psychiatrist) and when I mention immediately the utter "Substance abuse". Then I explain why I take and now they all ok. What else they can say? Yes it can be highly addictive and you need more and more dosage (it works like alcohol on GABA in brain).

My experience and as we all know each one is different.
EsthersDoll (05-21-2012), SpaceCadet (05-20-2012)