Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Anyone taking any meds for concentration

What are you taking and does it help with concentration?any side effects
My neurologist wants me to go some meds to help concentration.

Lumbar fusion L4-S1 Mastergraft May '10
Cervical fusion C4-C5 Plate Feb '11
RT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair using 2 anchors and Microfracture surgery May '11
LT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair with anchors Feb' 12
MTBI, Headaches,Vertigo,Fatigue,concentration,fogginess, and memory
just not right is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

What meds is he suggesting?

There are no meds labeled to improve concentration except for ADD meds like Ritalin or Adderall. Both should be avoided for PCS since they are stimulants. Stimulants are contra-indicated for PCS.

I would seriously question a doctor who prescribes an amphetamine like Adderall to someone recovering from a brain injury. The concussed brain needs rest, not stimulation.

Just not right, What kind of concentration problems are you hoping to treat?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default meds for TBI

My son takes concerta for focus. He also takes zoloft.

on another note - does anyone have any thoughts on laser therapy for TBI or sound therapy?

I have been reading a lot about it but my doctor says there is not enough research on it. I know it isn't approved but I am willing to try anything to improve my son's memory.
Toni is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,
Trying to think of my concentration issues and my mind is blank, i will try later when dont have bad headache.

Lumbar fusion L4-S1 Mastergraft May '10
Cervical fusion C4-C5 Plate Feb '11
RT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair using 2 anchors and Microfracture surgery May '11
LT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair with anchors Feb' 12
MTBI, Headaches,Vertigo,Fatigue,concentration,fogginess, and memory
just not right is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was diagnosed with ADD as a young child and have been on meds ever since (Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall XR). Now I am taking Adderall XR 20mg a day on an average of 3-5 days a week. My injury was 3 months ago.

When I told my Dr that I had not been taking the Adderall since the injury he said that the Adderall might actually help some of my PCS symptoms (memory, concentration, fatigue, trouble focusing). He and my Neuro explained that (and from experience I agree) the symptoms of PCS and ADD can be very similar, and a persons preexisting symptoms of ADD are magnified with PCS. I know its a stimulant and I'm still confused about that part, but maybe it works because an ADD brain reacts to stimulants differently then someone without ADD?

All I can say is I don't notice my symptoms being any worse on days I take Adderall. It helps me concentrate, complete tasks and I get confused less often. Overall I would say it helps me personally, but I can't speak for others.

Loss of appetite is the only side affect I notice and that has been with every ADD med I have taken. You just have to remember to eat if its time, even if your not hungry.

Hope this helped.
RubyV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I took rhodiola a couple of times this week with some pretty good results. The first time worked like a charm and got rid of my headaches and I was able to concentrate on my work. Of course, I still took brain rest periodically during the work day. However on the third day, taking one dose a day, it stopped working and my headache came back and my concentration was lacking. But then, that was Friday and after a full week of work, you really can't expect full effort from a tired brain.

The rhodiola I took also had some caffeine in it, just enough to give myself a kick but not overly so.
bh_pcs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:55 AM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Please be careful with the rhodiola. It is a natural form of an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). MAOI's are contra-indicated with many other meds commonly taken. The rhodiola likely just elevated your mood but did not improve your concentration.

Self prescribing an MAOI is problematic in my book, just as St John's Wort is the natural form of an SSRI/SNRI. Hemlock is also a natural substance. Don't let 'natural' lull you into a false sense of safety.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart I am, I am

I have been taking Provigil for daytime sleepiness and it seems to work pretty well. I have the idea of having to take it, but its that or no income. At first it made me a little jumppy and increased anxiety, but after a while, it just works in the background.

Only use if necessary. Do not use for studying or for partying late into the night, it is serious medication for a specific purpose. I hate having to take it, and will stop as soon as I get to the root of my 'near narcoleptic' daytime trances.
azmanatheart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 AM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Arizona man,

I looked up you prior posts. Your concussion of 40 years ago is likely just a starting point for your current symptoms. Your severe obstructive sleep apnea is likely the cause of your PCS like symptoms.

My father died from sleep apnea induced dementia about three years ago. He progressed downward for almost 40 years. He had central sleep apnea, no obstructions or snoring.

The nightly anoxic events slowly cause anoxic encephalopathy. The resulting brain fog and other cognitive and memory problems slowly build.

The Provigil is likely just masking your need for good REM sleep with a properly oxygenated brain. Your daytime sleepiness is not the same as the difficulty concentrating experienced by many with PCS. The PCS brain is often highly distractible.

What are you doing to treat your OSA besides CPAP? Laser surgery, other surgeries, dental appliance?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Please be careful with the rhodiola. It is a natural form of an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). MAOI's are contra-indicated with many other meds commonly taken. The rhodiola likely just elevated your mood but did not improve your concentration.

Self prescribing an MAOI is problematic in my book, just as St John's Wort is the natural form of an SSRI/SNRI. Hemlock is also a natural substance. Don't let 'natural' lull you into a false sense of safety.
Huh?

Anyway, Let me just say it worked for a bit. There's still nothing better than getting much sleep!
bh_pcs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote