Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Increasing amitriptyline?

Since I started 25 mg of amitriptyline in July, I have been sleeping great. Prior to that, my sleep was very disrupted. I would wake up at all random hours of the night and had really crazy dreams.

This week, I started waking up in the middle of the night again. It happened every night. Yesterday, I also had the worst headache I've had in quite a long time.

I noticed on another thread that crystal mentioned having her amitriptyline dose increased. I wondered if anyone else has had to do this as your body became more accustomed to the medication?

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Personally, I find that my crazy or stressful dreams coincide with poor breathing while sleeping. I have Central Sleep Apnea due to an upper neck injury suffered with my concussion. My wife can predict how may day will be by observing my sleeping when she gets up. She is an early riser and sees me struggle to breath frequently. When she does, she wakes me to get me to reposition myself so I breath better. Sometimes, all she has to do is push me to a new sleeping position.

Is there anybody who can observe your sleeping? If they are awake when you are asleep, they can observe your sleep behaviors and breathing. If your crazy dreams coincide with any breathing issues, you can ask your doctor for a sleep test.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hmmm, that's interesting about the breathing. I had a sleep study a couple of years ago that showed no problems, but that was before the concussion. I will ask my husband to pay attention to what he notices.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I went to the Neurologist. He was not happy that the Head Injury Clinic increased my Amytriptalyne to 100 mg. Even on that high dose I was still waking up and having trouble falling asleep. When it first increased I slept for a couple of weeks. Im still having headaches daily so I dont think it's helping with that either. Im cutting down to 50 and then 25.

I find my sleep is disrupted. I asked the doctor about the whooshing sounds while I was sleeping and awake. He says my auditory filters aren't working. My brain just isn't healed yet. He said it takes time. I asked him if I'd get better and he said he was optomistic but cant say for sure.

He did give me an anxiety medication, two different painkillers and the new dose of amytriptalyne.

I wonder if the stress of the holidays coming up makes it harder for us. I'm not sure.

I did ask for Lunesta and for some reason he didn't give it me. I'm not sure why. I'm still having trouble sleeping and I will call him tomorrow.

I hope you get some much needed rest. Perhaps breathing exersises will help.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

crystal...my doctors initially wouldn't give me lunesta or ambien either. When they finally did I started using it occasionally and now I gave in and am using it (half of a 10 mg of ambien) and I sleep so much better. I wake up and after a cup of coffee (one caffeine) I feel better. I'm giving in and taking it now as I think the well needed rest is what is making me finally feel more energy and my symptoms aren't as magnified.
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote