Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default how do you know if your symptoms are anxiety or pcs?

so not sure if I'm opening a can of worms here...

how do you know if your symptoms are stemming from anxiety (an anxiety...like years of stress or stressful situations that you just figured a way of getting thru) or if the pcs is causing the anxiety?

and maybe...what to do to figure it out.

(hoping this question was clear).
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-23-2012)

advertisement
Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm wondering the same thing. Let me know when you find an answer.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Anxiety is a catch-22 problem. PCS cause the brain to over-react thus reaching a state of anxiety with a much lower trigger point. Add to that the frustration PCS causes and the stressors and triggers increase.

The key problem with anxiety is similar to the problem with head aches. Head aches are due to the brain's failure to properly regulate blood flow and blood pressure through the brain. This is made worse by malfunctions of the adrenal system.

Epinephrine and norepinepherine are the primary adrenal hormones that regulate blood pressure. The adrenal gland is also involved with the fight or flight response than causes the brain cells to speed up their processing cycle. This same attempt to speed up processing is part of the stress/anxiety response. It is a wicked spiderweb of interconnected systems.

So, it is like splitting hairs to determine which is the cause or the result. Sort of a chicken and the egg conundrum.

In my opinion, the only thing we can do is recognize that stress/anxiety are a big part of the PCS condition. Anything we can do to reduce them will be beneficial.

To make matters worse, years of pent up anxiety can leave the brain in a compromised state that makes it much more susceptible to damage from a concussion or other injury. Pent up anxiety leaves a brain full of toxins that cannot get removed as fast as they are created. Mega nutrition is followed in the hope of helping this toxic waste get eliminated.

Unfortunately, our culture is anxiety driven. The media uses anxiety to sell their ideas and business uses anxiety and other emotions to sell their products. It takes a serious and concerted effort to reduce stress and thus anxiety in our lives. Try telling a family of teens to slow down a bit. Not going to happen.

It is a very personal battle that we wage alone and sometimes with the help of others. Good luck with the battle.

I don't think there is a different solution whether the symptoms are from PCS alone or anxiety alone. It is like trying to decide if you are upset because you are too sensitive or upset because you have a valid reason. That middle point is too subjective.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-23-2012)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

ok...very well stated. but how do you fix it if it is all anxiety? I'm not a meds person...I don't like taking them and they don't particularly like me!!
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 AM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Resolving anxiety that is just anxiety is a tough battle. I believe it is important to not become apathetic in an effort to lower anxiety. The first thing to concur is learning to pick your battles. By that I mean deciding which things need a focused attention and which do not. It is almost a philosophical question.

I have found that most things in life that I was anxious about did not change due to my concern or anxiety. A simpler pragmatic attitude was actually an improvement as I looked at the issues of the day. Anxiety does not lead to clear thinking. Learning to be non-reactive to life's daily issues allows one to think more clearly.

I learned many of my skills in the school of hard knocks. My Christian faith also allows me to let go.

I wish I could be more help. This is a very personal issue to resolve.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-23-2012)