Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thomas Sorensen

Was watching the football (soccer) this weekend when I was rather disturbed to see Stoke and Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen knocked out cold following a collision.

Despite being unconscious for about 20 seconds they didn't substitute him and kept him out on the pitch for the restart until it became clear that he couldn't actually remain standing up and had to be taken off in a stretcher.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis said after the game "He's having his energy drink with the rest of the players, so he's fine. They'd have put smelling salts on him a few years ago."

How the millions of amateur football players around the world are expected to be educated in a responsible approach to concussion when this is the attitude in the world's most wealthy league I don't know. Can't these clubs afford a proper doctor?

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (12-07-2011)

advertisement
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Reminds me of an article I read the other day about the ex-NFL players suing over concussive injuries

I can't post a link as I am new here, but if you google it, the story will come up.

"The committee nonetheless maintained that returning to the playing field after a concussion does not pose significant risk of a second injury, and that multiple concussions, if managed properly, do not necessarily create the risk of long-term injury, the suit claims, adding that the committee ignored or publicly dismissed contrary opinions of other medical professionals."

I'm sure a lot of the time it's less about what is right for the player and more about what keeps money flowing into everyone's pockets!
Snuffie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote