Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool Good News

Understandably on here there's a lot of depressing stories about things that have gone wrong, so I thought I should document something that went really well, and came completely out of the blue, hopefully to give others some hope (I'm 8 months into PCS by the way).

Saw my neuropsychologist last Friday, was really down as I had cut almost everything out of my life that I used to enjoy in an attempt to get better - and it didn't seem to be working.

She suggested that for my own mental health I should try and do some of these things again, to 'push through' the symptoms a little and see if things go ok. This made me very wary as I did a fair bit of trying to 'push through' at the beginning and the results were not good. But she made a good point that I was adding to my stress which is bad for the brain so I gave it a go. It felt like things couldn't get much worse anyway.

That evening there was a work Christmas meal which I had been thinking I would most likely skip. I decided to go but was dismayed to find that it wasn't just a meal it was a whole posh 'do' at a hotel with loads of people, a loud disco and flashing disco lights all over, a PCS nightmare.

I hid in the corner making a little conversation and gradually realised that I was feeling ok. By the end of the night I was actually dancing, which was weird, I could hardly even remember how. Needed a few breaks, and it did make my head feel a bit fuzzy, but having decided to ignore such symptoms for once and see what happened I carried on. When I wasn't worrying about it so much it actually wasn't that unpleasant - it actually ended up being a bit like being drunk, but without having to buy any alcohol (I don't drink any more of course).

That was 5 days ago and I've suffered no ill-effects. I am amazed given how little hope I had that afternoon, but that by the evening I was doing things I never would have expected and having a great time. Shows how quickly things can turn around with PCS, even after long periods of no improvement.

Of course I will continue to be careful, I've been bitten by this thing too many times. But really hopeful.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bh_pcs (12-07-2011), RubyV (12-08-2011), SpaceCadet (12-13-2011), xxxxcrystalxxxx (12-08-2011)

advertisement
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Klaus,

I had a feeling about that "pushing through" part but I wasn't sure. I've been pushing myself then taking breaks since the accident. That's really cool that the neuropsychologist suggested that!

Was it a pleasant experience?

I'll be seeing mine next week for the first time.
bh_pcs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Great for you!! HOpe you are on the road to recovery.

I tried this method too...last saturday night went out to dinner. LOUD noisy restaurant and ignored the symptoms and had a great time.

I'm suffering for it now...2 days later and I feel like someone hit me over the head!! The lightheaded feeling picked back up really bad, headaches, fatigue...its all worse again.

Now I'm at the cross roads of what to do...try again??
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It was awesome, though as I say I would definitely not recommend it as a foolproof strategy. My golden rules for 'pushing through' symptoms are now:-

1. Usually you should not try to push through symptoms, as it will make them worse.

2. Sometimes you should push through symptoms, as it will make them better and you will have a better quality of life.

3. I have not yet worked out how to decide when to implement rule 1 and when to implement rule 2. Sorry!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
"Thanks for this!" says:
bh_pcs (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear that wtrpk, like I say it was a surprise to me and I kept expecting the comedown. All I can suggest is that there comes a point in recovery when it's a bit safer to try these things. Sounds like you're not quite there yet, and need to bore your brain into submission for a bit longer before trying it again. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

that is encouraging

I still get a bit overwhelmed in loud noisy restaraunts.
steelrat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrat View Post
that is encouraging

I still get a bit overwhelmed in loud noisy restaraunts.
If at first we dont succeed...try, try again.....
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

congratulations on your breakthrough. That is very encouraging for me to hear to know that there is something to look forward to. It's almost been 2 months for me. I recently was around loud music and flashing lights and I had the worse pressure headaches with pain for 3 days afterwards. I'm a little worried that I have my wedding in a month how I'll be.
todayistomorrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (12-19-2011)