Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Crosby sitting out for a couple of games as a "precautionary" measure

Apparently Crosby suffered a hard hit in Monday's game (he collided with a teammate) and will sit out a couple of games after not feeling 100%. He might be fine, but it makes you wonder about returning to play hockey (or any contact sport) after a serious concussion.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2263596/
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Crosby is making a GREAT decision. His susceptibility to further concussions from less intense impacts is likely a wake up call.

I wish him well.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Crosby has decided to sit out indefinitely while he recovers from a recurrence of symptoms during his comeback:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/sp...tml?ref=sports

. . .

“You have to listen to your body,” Crosby said.

He said that passing a baseline concussion test was “encouraging, but it’s not everything.”

He added: “I skated the following day after with exertion. I just didn’t feel right. After talking with everyone I figured it was better to be cautious and not take any chances. That’s where I’m at right now.”

But now the comeback of the best player in hockey has been derailed.

“It’s the same recovery routine again, but hopefully not as long,” Crosby said.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is a more detailed article that includes a couple of quotes about Dr. Carrick's methods (short version: doctors are skeptical):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2268854/

After observing the situation for a while, I am going to make a prediction (this is pure guesswork): Crosby is going to retire from hockey. Maybe not in the next few weeks or months, but I think it's going to happen before too long. If he is having a recurrence of symptoms this early on in his return to play, it does not bode well. Hockey is a fast, physical, at times violent sport. He's going to get hit again, often, and at times very hard. Head impacts are a virtual certainty. Infinitely better to get off the ice now, when he has a good probability of making a strong recovery again. He can have a great life without playing hockey; he's just going to have to make an (admittedly huge) adjustment. Either way, I wish him all the best.

Last edited by greenfrog; 12-12-2011 at 10:31 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (12-12-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That's an interesting prediction that Crosby will retire. Its certainly not out of the question, and it certainly has happened to NHL players before (Lindros, Kariya) but part of me still believes that he is young and has a lot of time to heal (maybe take another 1-2yrs off) and make a full recovery for a comeback. There have been some good comeback stories recently of players returning after prolonged recovery (Perron of St.Louis Blues and Matt Lombardi, Toronto Maple Leafs)

As a hockey player myself, out with my first concussion (about 9 months now), I have really followed the Crosby story. It has been a source of hope for me; if Crosby can return to hockey and be successful (as he was for brief period this season when he was back on the ice), then I figured it would be realistic for me as well.

I guess this has really been a wake up call; that my future in sports is very uncertain at this point. It has also got me thinking, what is too many concussions and when is it time to pull the plug on contact sports?

I realize I will not need to make that decision anytime soon as I am not near the point of starting physical exertion. For awhile, I figured since this was my first one, I would be ok to return (only after I am 100% confident that I have 100% recovered with clearance from my physician), but if, heaven forbid, I got a 2nd one, I would for sure say that's it, no more contact sports.

Just wondering what the thoughts were out there on how many concussions are too many, and when is it time to "retire" from sports? I hear stories of hockey players who have had 5+ concussions over their career and that to me would certainly be time to retire. But after just one? I guess length of recovery is also an important factor in making these decisions.
comeback_kid_11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i just read about him this morning. I think he is being very smart. No matter what you do, if you are playing hockey, you cant be naive enough to think it wont happen again. its a very physical sport with constant contact. I personally think one concussion in my lifetime is enough for me....i dont ever want to go on a rollercoaster again, let alone play contact sports. But it shows that he suffered so badly with his PCS the first time that there is no way in hell he gonna risk having to go through it all again. I bet your right and he will end up retiring and choosing to live a long healthy life as opposed to the possibility of dying from second impact syndrome.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

comeback kid - my experience of when you make a 'complete recovery' is that you may be feeling and functioning at 100% but you are more susceptible to future concussions. Even if years have passed without a concussion the weakness is still there.

This has definitely been the case for me, and is backed up by studies of at risk groups such as American Football players and jockeys - those with a history of concussion are more likely to get another within a given time frame.

I've a had a fair few concussions over my lifetime, made a full and quick recovery each time, and then been concussed more easily the next time.

This is the first time I've had PCS, it came from an inoccuous (sp?) incident where someone slowly fell on me in a football (soccer) match. It didn't even look bad to anyone else, play just carried on. To a normal person it probably would have had no effect, but due to my previous concussions here I am 8 months later still doing reduced duties at work and still unable to even run due to the jarring effect it has on my head.

I absolutely loved football and it was the highlight of each week for me, but no way will I ever play again, this has all been too horrific. I don't see how anyone who has been through this could even think about it. PCS is your brain telling you it can't take any more impacts.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Crosby actually may have had two concussions in relatively quick succession in early January (one might ask why his docs cleared him to play after the first one). I wouldn't be surprised if this is a big factor in the length of his recovery.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Klaus: you mentioned that in your studies those with a history of concussion are more likely to get another one within a given time frame.

My question is, is the recovery time for subsequent concussions always going to be longer? Would the recovery time for the 3rd be longer than the 2nd which is longer than the 1st, etc?

I have heard of cases where the recovery for the first concussion was actually longer than the second. I also think it would depend on how it is managed as well (ie the second time around would better know how to "treat")
comeback_kid_11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't know the answer to that question. My guess would be that if, as seems to be the case, the damage caused has some sort of underlying long term effect then subsequent PCS would take longer to recover from or might even be permanent, but you are right in saying people would know how to treat it better the second time.

But the idea of just accepting the high likelihood of a second PCS because it might make your life a living hell for, say 6 months instead of 8 months sounds a strange one to me.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote