Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What can I do to improve my recovery?

Since my injury in June, I haven't been to any kind of therapy or had any kind of schedule or plan towards my recovery. I've basically just been going to see a faulty neurologist and staying at home watching TV. I feel like I'm just getting worse. My mind is breaking down to the point where I feel like I'm going insane. I have no physical symptoms like headaches, just psychiatric problems, cognitive problems (like foggy brain, feeling slow and dumb) and occasional dizziness. So I'm asking the people of this forum for some advice.

What can I do to improve my recovery, as far as therapy and other things I can add to my schedule that will speed up my recovery or at least make me feel better? I have plenty of benefits left with Victims of Crime (they are paying for my expenses) and I want to start using them wisely. I just don't know what to do....I know I want to see a chiropractor because my neck feels kind of messed up, but what else can I do? Besides a neurologist who else should I be seeing?
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Forget about seeing another neurologist. Try a physiatrist (Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine in the phone book). And get a work up done on your neck.

And see if you can see a therapist or church counselor to help you lower your anxiety levels.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-02-2012), SpaceCadet (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was referred to a psychiatrist when I went in for the MRI results. Going to call them on Monday to schedule an appointment. Also, it's funny you mention church counselor because my aunt texted me today, concerned with what my mother has been telling her about my condition and gave me some info on a pastor that healed her through prayer.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Have you been thinking about nutrition? My brother is a vet and told me I should really focus on antioxidants, which I looked up on the internet and have been doing ever since (leading to a massive juice habit!)

Weird that the most useful health professional I have seen has been my brother the vet, but I guess they do need to really know how the nuts and bolts of every body system works since they see it in so many unfamiliar forms...

Also, you might want to cut down on the TV. I spent many months thinking I was resting while watching TV, but actually high energy TV programmes like action films or music videos are making your brain work pretty hard.

When I realised this I spent a few months hardly watching any TV, or computer, or reading books. It was hard but I got a load of audiobooks on my ipod, or went for short walks in the park. My brain seemed to like this much better than constant TV.

Good luck

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (12-19-2011), SpaceCadet (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 04:38 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Helping a Little With Your Recovery

Hi Everyone:
I'm a mom of a 14yr old teenage boy who has been recovering from Post Concussion Syndrome for 1 1/2 yrs. He has also experienced 3 major setbacks (Does NOT play sports) and is now being tutored at home by the local high school.
I am also a MTBI Literate Integrative Health & Nutrition Coach and can tell you that what you eat is very important regarding brain health - as a matter of fact I have just finished a book for MTBI survivors about this important piece of the puzzle. It is a very easy to use guide and is being printed now.
Depression, anxiety and some "brain fog" can be caused by eating too much sugar and processed foods. May doctors, coaches, etc. do not really "get" that what you eat literally turns into your brain, your blood, your emotions, etc.

Warmly, Tina Sullivan

Last edited by Chemar; 12-23-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: NT guidelines for new members
NourishYourNoggin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (12-24-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsmith1984 View Post
I was referred to a psychiatrist when I went in for the MRI results. Going to call them on Monday to schedule an appointment. Also, it's funny you mention church counselor because my aunt texted me today, concerned with what my mother has been telling her about my condition and gave me some info on a pastor that healed her through prayer.
This is actually more dangerous than it sounds. Prayer may have positive psychological effects (which can be gained through other ways), but it will not heal you. Your body heals itself (or not), and sometimes medical intervention is needed. Staying positive is an important component, but don't think that praying will cure you; it won't. Pastors who "heal through prayer" are charlatans.

Religious leaders in your community are also typically ill-equipped to handle psychological problems. See someone who actually has training in the are in which you need help.
wakey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

wakey,

I agree about the 'healing charlatans' but disagree with your opposition to prayer. My point in referring nwsmth to a church counselor was to help with his anxiety. A lot of anxiety is due to poor control of thoughts. Getting help with his thought life can reduce his anxiety. Praying for healing is also worthwhile. So, counseling regarding his anxiety and prayer life can be beneficial.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey View Post
This is actually more dangerous than it sounds. Prayer may have positive psychological effects (which can be gained through other ways), but it will not heal you. Your body heals itself (or not), and sometimes medical intervention is needed. Staying positive is an important component, but don't think that praying will cure you; it won't. Pastors who "heal through prayer" are charlatans.
I wouldn't expect everyone to believe as I do nor would I try to push my beliefs on anyone but...

I had a car wreck in 1991 with major neck damage. I went thru 10 years of horrible pain. God healed me COMPLETELY in a church service. And, yes, there is medical documentation!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I concur with Roadrunner and Mark.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
wakey,

I agree about the 'healing charlatans' but disagree with your opposition to prayer. My point in referring nwsmth to a church counselor was to help with his anxiety. A lot of anxiety is due to poor control of thoughts. Getting help with his thought life can reduce his anxiety. Praying for healing is also worthwhile. So, counseling regarding his anxiety and prayer life can be beneficial.

My best to you.
Mark, thank you, as always, for your thoughtful comment. Let me be clear: I don't oppose prayer. I think that it can be quite useful for some people. I oppose the idea that people should rely on church counselors and religious folk to help them "think the right thoughts." Positive thinking is useful--and much of prayer is positive thinking. So, by all means, pray away. But prayer, by itself, cannot deal head on with psychological problems like anxiety. One can't fix that by going to someone else whose only training is in reading the Bible, rather than, say, learning about the human body and mind methodologically. The best person to seek out in such a situation is someone who is trained in how the brain works. If the aim is for people to recover, they need to see the best trained people. I hope everyone on this board heals fast and well, and if prayer can help part of the recovery, then great.
wakey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote