Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What's the point ?( in a horrible place)

I remember when I got my concussions and would come to this site trying to get an idea about recovery and what I should do for myself. I would see post from people saying they were 8 months into recovery, or 6 months, or 4 months in. I thought to my self I'm a young, healthy 30 year old female and most of all I'm an athlete. I was sure I would shake this off just like I have every other injury I have revived on a field, court, or track. I mean everybody says I will be ok in 2 weeks(even though it took me 6 weeks to recover from the concussion I got almost 2 months earlier. For some reason I thought there was no way in hell I would be one of those people that still had issues months later. Boy was I wrong.

I am now in my 7th month of trying to recover. Some days are good and some days are horrible. I guess today is a horrible day. I can't escape the constant pain in my head. I cant think clearly and I just feel awful physically as well as emotionally. I went to sleep with a migraine and woke up with the pain still in my head. It's the holidays and laying around is not in the plan. Plus I have been sick and laid up for almost a week so I have a ton to catch up on.

I'm just feeling like what's the point. I honestly want to just crawl in bed and cry. Cry for the loss of the person I used to be. That super intelligent, super athlete, energetic, tough young woman. I'm not her anymore since my back to back concussions.
Xoe22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I too have found the overly optimistic predictions of everyone including doctors to be pretty depressing when the promised recovery didn't come.

Recently got sent by my employer to an external occupational health doctor who seemed to really understand so much more about the condition even than the neurologist I have seen. Apart from that he didn't feel I would have any residual susceptibility in the future and could go back to football etc (which I disagree with) he seemed to really understand all my weird symptoms and to have seen lots of people with similar problems.

Just got his report today, and to quote one bit from it, "Most sufferers with post-concussion syndrome make a full functional recovery, but a full recovery could take as long as 12-24 months after the injury. Most individuals are fully recovered by the end of a 24 month period."

So no need to cry for the loss of the person you used to be just yet - it's still early days.

Sounds like you need to try and chill out though - I don't think I've experienced any recovery during periods when I've been stressed and depressed. Obviously you have every reason to feel like this but it involves chemicals going into your brain that are bad for you, so you have to try and avoid it anyway. Distract yourself, think about something else, try to just feel flat, whatever it takes. You can worry about these wasted months once they're over.

Make a plan involving nutrition, rest, graded activity, whatever you think is best, then tell yourself you're doing everything you can so there's no point worrying about it. Try not to do or think anything that stresses you out.

All the best!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-26-2012)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Also:-

Quote:
It's the holidays and laying around is not in the plan. Plus I have been sick and laid up for almost a week so I have a ton to catch up on.
Laying around should definitely be a big part of the plan, getting better is more important than any reason you might have for not laying around. And you shouldn't be in a position where you have a 'ton to catch up on'. Sounds to me like you're trying to push through symptoms way too much, you need rest and to not have pressure on you to do more than is comfortable. It'll mean you get more done in the long run cos you'll get better faster.

tut tut wags finger

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I know how you feel!
the most frustrating part at the beginning was all the docs saying or 2-3 weeks or months and you will be right as rain....HA!
I have had between 4 and 15 concussions in the past 3 years and I am getting a little better, but then it comes back and sometimes the only reason I get out of bed is because otherwise my parents or friends will worry. I am kind of scared of moving into my own apartment this coming year, because I am not sure that I will be able to convince myself anymore. I am so tired. tired of living like this in my early twenties! I want to be able to run across the parking lot without collapsing at the other side in pain!
The biggest thing I am tired of is the clumsiness which keeps getting me more concussions. I really think that I am going to have to start wearing a marshmallow helmet!
GRRRRR! Why do human beings insist on trying so hard? Why can't we just give in?

but then again I guess that is why the human race is so wonderful!
Well, on those happy notes,
Merry Christmas!
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy

I'm new here and I can relate to the feeling. I am 2 months into my concussion and already feeling the pressure about returing to work.

The Work Doc has jokingly called me a difficult patient becuase I am not responding to the first set of medications he prescribed.

I do not tolerate medicine very well so I think he is a bit frustrated with my recovery or lack of it.

I too was feeling very down yesterday (unusually down) and had a headache that woudn't go away. Thankfully, it has subsided a bit today. But I'm still left with the constant pressure in my head and a slew of other symptoms.

I am finally able to type without making a thousand typos, so I guess there is some improvement. Hang in there and Happy Holidays to everyone here.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote