Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 12:10 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What are the chances of PCS being permanent?

Hello I am 14. I had my concussion about a year ago from now and a few months after my accident I started noticing little dizzy sessions I had. I also noticed having problems with remembering certain words and grammar at school, slowed reaction and processing time, and weirdly I lost my sense of humor. I have had very little improvement of my PCS and I was wondering what the chances of this being a permanent problem? But happily I do admit that my dizzy sessions are becoming more sparse and my humor is very slowly coming back.
Cat&TheHat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As I understand it very few PCS cases end up being permenant, the vast majority get back to feeling absolutely normal - though there does seem to be a permanent susceptibility ie once you have had a concussion you will get another more easily so you should do everything you can to cut out any more impacts.

I've recently had a medical report which expects me to make a full recovery, but potentially not until the 2 year mark, so there's no reason the improvements you've noticed shouldn't continue. Just make sure your brain gets to rest when it needs to. Plenty of other good advice for recovery strategies on this forum.

All the best.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Cat&TheHat,

Adolescence is a tough time to be recovering from a concussion. The physical and hormonal changes that are occurring make recovery slower. Some symptoms may need more time than others.

As klaus said, you need to rest your brain and you also need to get your brain proper nutrition and supplements, No caffeine or caffeine based energy drinks, plenty of B12 and B6 plus all of the anti-oxidants and Omega 3's. You should also stay away from alcohol. The concussed adolescent brain has no tolerance for alcohol.

An important consideration regarding recovery is your concussion and sub-concussive impacts history. Do you, did you play sports? Soccer, football, LaCrosse, basketball, or any other sports where you may suffer contacts that can jar you head? Even slight jarring like heading the ball in soccer practice can traumatize the brain.

So, rest and take care of your brain and you will recover best.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks guys, I can promise I will stay away from alcohol till the legal age (which is 4 year's for me), I will also stay away from my martial arts for a while but will start swimming again in a short time, I also take a multi vitamin and 2 separate vitamin D pills. I was also wondering if epilepsy effects this matter?
Cat&TheHat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Cat..

A multi-vitamin will be far short of your brain's needs. You could add a B50 or B100 complex to the multi.

The alcohol issue should be a serious consideration for your lifetime. the research shows that a limit of a single serving per day is OK but no more. Think of it this way. Your brain will now be very susceptible to future injuries. Getting drunk impacts your brain similar to a concussion. The hang-over is your brain responding to the toxins in and from the alcohol.

My neurologist who treated me in 1970-71 when I suffered some long term PCS symptoms warned me to stay away from alcohol for life. He was way ahead of the research. The one time I drank a large glass of beer, I had a miserable hang-over or PCS the next day. Just one beer. There was till plenty of pizza but the soft drinks had run out so I tried the beer. Big mistake.

Please consider your martial arts a serious risk for another concussion. The next one will take much less intensity to cause damage.

But then, You are young and part of the "I'm invincible" age group.

I hope you don't learn a serious lesson the hardest way.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat&TheHat View Post
Hello I am 14. I had my concussion about a year ago from now and a few months after my accident I started noticing little dizzy sessions I had. I also noticed having problems with remembering certain words and grammar at school, slowed reaction and processing time, and weirdly I lost my sense of humor. I have had very little improvement of my PCS and I was wondering what the chances of this being a permanent problem? But happily I do admit that my dizzy sessions are becoming more sparse and my humor is very slowly coming back.
I'm 16 with my 2nd concussion and I found the 2nd one took much less of impact to cause it from ringette (sort of like hockey). My doc said two weeks no tv, texting, computer, reading, school or work. It was pretty boring but all of these things put a strain on Your brain.if you haven't already, I would talk to your teachers and explain that you may forget and have problems with needing things explained multiple times.hope that helps!
kayley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote