Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Brain Power Supplement.

So my mother purchased this supplement online called "Brain Power PS-V". It says it's a memory and circulation supplement. I'm just curious about it, since I don't really know what vitamins or what-not I'm NOT supposed to be taking due to the brain injury. Wondering if someone can give me some feedback on this.

http://store.healthandfitnessnews.com/brainpower.html

and this is what's in it:

http://www.herbalhealer.com/brain.html

Haven't taken any yet...want to start taking them soon if it's safe.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'd also like to add that I've been taking Vitamin B12 (1000mcg), Vitamin C (1000) and a One-A-Day vitamin for a month now.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nick,

You are just starting to provide some nutritional help to your brain. 1000mcgs of B12 is likely more than you need. A One a Day is probably just the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance). The 1000 mgs of Vit C is good but your brain and body need much more.

The stuff your mom bought is grossly overpriced and not likely to be much help since it is incomplete for your needs. There are lots of these brain health mixes sold.

Tell her to ask for her money back or take it herself.

Get some simple B-100 complex, add some B6 (100 mgs) and B12 (250 mcgs) Omega 3's, and calcium and magnesium plus all of the anti-oxidants. Avoid the brand names. They tend to be overpriced and of limited dosage.

Have you started the Prozac yet?

I will have online access Saturday but not Sunday.

Merry Christmas.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The B12 vitamin I'm taking is time released. If that makes it any better. As for the brain supplement, she ordered it online and I don't think you can return it...I've opened it already anyhow. I was reading some of the success stories on there and somebody had said they suffered a severe brain injury and noticed a big difference in improvement after they started taking the supplement...I don't know if those success stories are fake or not (you never know), just thought I'd throw that out there.

So taking the vitamins back is probably out of the question. Even though you say it probably won't help, don't you think its worth a try? If I don't notice a difference in the next few weeks I could just stop taking it...

Thanks for the info on the vitamins I NEED to be taking. That's just the information I needed too. My mom and I were searching online trying to find a good combination of vitamins for me. Should I continue to take the vitamins I've been taking on top of these new ones you suggested? I think the ones I'm taking now are doing something because I feel more...clear.

On the subject of Prozac, I decided not to take it until after Christmas. Every year we go to my aunt's house and have a traditional Christmas; family, friends, big dinner, opening of the presents, football and lots of conversation. In case it gives me a horrible adverse effect, I'd rather hold off until Monday ...

Happy Holidays to you Mark, be safe on your road trip and God Bless.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:55 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Timed release B12 is useless.

When you take oral you need regular release.

People who have absorption issues will need high concentration hitting the wall of the intestine for passive absorption to work.

It is best to get an immediate release form of active methylcobalamin and take 1-2mg a day on an empty stomach.
Otherwise not much if any will get into you by the oral route.

Methylcobalamin is the active form, and not commonly found in local stores. Online, Puritan's pride, iherb.com or swansons offer it for pennies a day cost.

Here is my B12 thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html
Here is a quote from a updated medical textbook:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post834583-5.html

Of course no harm will come from using the wrong type, or taking it incorrectly. You will just not absorb it usefully.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 01:01 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nick,

The Brain Power supplement has a money back guarantee. The instant feeling of UP is due to some of the ingredients but it is not a sign of improvement or healing. It can be like giving coffee to a drunk. He becomes a wide awake drunk, not sober.

As mrsD says, you need to make sure the B12 is making it too your blood. There is a B12 blood test.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote