Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default First day of taking Citalopram(Celexa), never again.

So I took my first dosage of Citalopram today. I don't think I ever want to take an SSRI again. I feel like absolute crap. After about 3 hours, I became a zombie, I'm extremely depressed, I'm dizzy and my body keeps swaying back and forth even if I'm sitting down, I feel like I'm going to throw up, my stomach is growling non-stop for no reason, chest pain (I think it's my heart), slight headache but head feels like its going to explode and my vision is screwed up. With all this going on, it's causing me to have anxiety like crazy.

The doctor warned me there was going to be some side effects but I honestly didn't think they were going to be this severe. Besides the anxiety/panic attacks that were starting to get better and the brain fog when I do certain things, I was actually starting to feel better. Now I feel like I've been set back.

Edit: Only took half of a 20mg tablet.

Update: It's been close to 6 hours since I took the pill. Still dizzy, especially when I tilt my head. I'm getting little spurts and waves of anxiety. I've got a feeling of being out of touch with reality...only way I can explain it. Still zombie-like. Not diggin' the side-effects at all.

Last edited by SpaceCadet; 12-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (12-30-2011)

advertisement
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Give it some time. The meds are quite a shock to your body. You may need to stay at 1/2 dose for a few days. Call your doctor if things get real bad.

I was nauseous for the first few weeks but it all settled down.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm with Mark. If you are able to tolerate a half for a bit and go to regular dosage it might help. It takes a couple of weeks for the pills to even get to theraputic levels-OR you may just not be able to take Celexa. My sis has a few SSRI's that she can't take, but finally found something that works for her.
tamisue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (12-29-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I understand some of the side effects are normal for this type of medication. The nausea I'm not really concerned with, it was everything else on top of it that was freaking me out. If I decide to take it for a couple more days to see if it improves, will I be able to quit cold turkey if I'm only 3 days in to it?

I'm seriously considering asking my psych to give me something for temporary relief of anxiety and panic attacks. I don't like the idea of this drug messing with my brain, my sex drive, my personality and my body for a long period of time. Besides the anxiety, I like who I am now. How will I ever know if I'm getting better if I'm constantly under the effect of this drug? I might ask for some on the spot treatment to take as needed...and if it becomes too severe, I'll try a different SSRI.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There are people who cannot stand the serotonin increase which is predominately in the body... many get diarrhea, nausea etc.

I believe that people who react this way, to SSRIs (and Celexa is one of the milder ones)... just won't ever do well on them and that they may have more serotonin actions than other people to begin with.

For anxiety... I'd suggest l-Theanine. I use 300mg at bedtime, and it is very nice for anxious symptoms. I've been using it since August. I've always been anxious due to childhood trauma, but when my blood sugar started to swing around...it seemed much worse.

Dr. Blaylock MD the neurosurgeon, who is now an alternative minded retired doctor, suggested it in his newsletter, for people with peripheral neuropathy. (nerve damage) A poster here brought that to our attention at PN, so I tried it. It is very calming without being sedating, or having any side effects. I use Doctor's Best Suntheanine, after finding Swanson's wasn't doing the same job for me.

Here is a link I find that explains it well...
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...light=theanine
This thread discusses other PN issues as well, but the theanine is discussed in about 1/2 of that thread scattered about in various posts.

This link explains theanine in more detail:
http://web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

What is nice about this is that is doesn't cost alot of money and has no side effects to speak of, and you feel much much better.

I'd start at 300mg a day. The article says you can go higher, but you may not need to. I'm happy with that dose at bedtime.

I am getting mine at Amazon.com which now is very competitive on the more pricey, unusual supplements.
http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-S...227126&sr=8-11

The Doctor's Best line, is very high quality at affordable prices.

Can't hurt to try IMO.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (12-30-2011), SpaceCadet (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

nwsmith

Personally if you are having that much of a reaction to this drug
on the first day. I would give the doctor that prescribed it a call.

I started this same drug almost three weeks ago. And its really
supposed to take 6 weeks to see a difference in how you feel.

So the anxiety you have normally, will probably not have a change
for that long. And it sound like this drug is causing a chemical one
too. So I would give them a call, I believe you may want to see
when it said to call the doctor.

I don't have my directions or I could tell you.

Donna
Dmom3005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

l-Theanine according to Wiki

Theanine is an analog to glutamine and glutamate, and can cross the blood-brain barrier.

Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[6] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress,[7] and improves cognition[8] and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[9][10]

While structurally related to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, theanine only has weak affinity for the glutamate receptor on postsynaptic cells.[11] Rather, its primary effect seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA. Theanine also increases brain dopamine levels and has a low affinity for AMPA, kainate and NMDA receptors.[12] Its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.[13][14] It has also been found that injecting spontaneously hypertensive mice with theanine significantly lowered levels of 5-hydroxyindoles in the brain.[15] Researchers also speculate it may inhibit glutamic acid excitotoxicity.[12] Theanine also promotes alpha wave production in the brain.[6]

I find it curious how it can behave opposite to the logically expected behavior as a glutamate analog. I think I am going to check this out further.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-01-2012), SpaceCadet (01-03-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

What it does is have affinity for that receptor so it may block the glutamate from making the connection. That is how I take that explanation.

I also found that theanine does lower excess cortisol for me,
and hence my dawn phenomenon, is less with my fasting blood sugars. It appears to be a mild effect however, because the last 3 days of a dental stressor overrode the cortisol reduction, and my blood sugars shot up temporarily. Now that the inflammation is mostly gone, I am back to normal. So the cortisol thing is an mild effect. Some sites list it and others do not. It may not happen for everyone.

What is interesting is that there are few if any contraindications for it. And it has absolutely no sedating effect on driving, etc.
I find it really helpful for my anxiety and nerve pain issues.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the information MrsD.

So I wake up right now with some really crazy thoughts, horrible...horrible anxiety. I'm having trouble speaking and thinking correctly, my body is shaking like crazy...UGH..I called the doctor and they say he won't be in until TUESDAY. I'm not touching that crap again..I really hope it didn't do something permanent to me, I'm going to be really upset.

I'd like to add that before I went to bed I took some Gabapentin which really mellowed me out. I was actually feeling quite normal and calm but when I woke up today I feel very anxious and angry, like I want to break something...
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-01-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Maybe you can try taking a gabapentin in the morning too. It has an 8 hour half life so it is clearing from your blood quickly. It may help you make it to the next time you can talk to your doctor.