Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Result of over stimulation or something worse?

Over the last 5 days, I've been suffering from constant aching and pains in my whole body, my legs are affected the worse. It feels as if someone has got a knife and slices throw my muscles and peels off my muscles, slowly, it's almost as if you can feel them ripping off! It's so scary, and I find it hard to walk, only slow,lethargic movements filled with pain and torment. As for my arms, it hurts to write more than a couple of words and I can't physically hold my arms up. My back is a constant source of pain, I feel like an old woman!
It started to be just at night but now, I woke up with it. I'm in agony, and I'm really confused and worried, please, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
ClumsyCharlie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Stop dissing old women. My wife is an old (er) woman and she feels great to me. LOL

Your aches and pains may be completely disconnected from your PCS. Or, you may be suffering from a PCS symptom called 'postural rigidity.' This is where the body, either asleep or awake, holds the muscles taught. This can leave one feeling miserable. I had this problem, especially when trying to sleep. It is sort of like having a seizure where the brain misfires and tells the muscles to contract. I take gabapentin before going to bed to help my muscles let go.

I would notice a soreness and then realize that I was holding my legs or shoulder muscles taught. I developed quite a set of latissimus dorsi otherwise called lats. They are the muscles that are visible from the arm pits to the back and rib area under the arms. I had to get some new clothes to fit my more muscular shoulders.

I also found I would tense my diaphragm and hold my breath. made for some very strong muscles but also some very sore muscles and joints.

I still have some of this problem. I used to ofted sleep holding my wife's hand or with my hand on her thigh. I can't do either anymore because I end up squeezing the blood flow out of both.

You should try to observe if you tense you muscles during the day or even when you are starting to go to sleep.

Your doctor could prescribe something like gabapentin (anti-seizure) or carisprodol (Soma) , a muscle relaxer, to see if it makes a difference. Soma should not be taken for extended periods. The gabapentin can be taken for long periods. I have been taking it every night for 11 years.

Hope you find some relief.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote