Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Nortriptyline Dosage

I saw the other post regarding amitriptyline and thought I'd ask about nortriptyline. I've been taking 10mg about 2 hrs before bedtime for almost 3 weeks now. The doctor prescribed it so I could get more quality sleep and I think to help curb headaches. I've found that it helps me feel more calm during the day, but it hasn't helped greatly in the sleep dept. Instead of sleeping @ 4hrs/night, I am now on avg getting 5-6hrs (with interruptions). My doctor said to start at 10mg and go up to 20mg if needed. I'm thinking tonight is the night I try 20mg. in hopes of getting at least 6 continuous hrs of sleep.

I'm just wondering what sort of dose others who take nortriptyline are on. I'm a little disappointed I have to take more. I was trying to take the most minimal amount of medicine possible.
Lagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My first dose that i got was 25mg, way to much to start for me. I slept whole nite got up in morning ate went back to sleep for entire day. Got up and felt very groggy for rest of that day. Went down to 10mg and felt better not so groggy, worked up to 20mg a day still get headaches not as bad.

Lumbar fusion L4-S1 Mastergraft May '10
Cervical fusion C4-C5 Plate Feb '11
RT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair using 2 anchors and Microfracture surgery May '11
LT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair with anchors Feb' 12
MTBI, Headaches,Vertigo,Fatigue,concentration,fogginess, and memory
just not right is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was started at 10mg and over a 3-4 week span was increased up to 40mg. Then my doctor each time i had a visit would go up by 10mg at a time based on how i was feeling. Im currently on 80 mg of Nortriptyline. I noticed on the lower doses that around 4-6pm in the evening my headaches would return. once we went up higher on the doses, i got to a point where the headaches were barely there unless i put my body through too much stress or stimulation.

Personally, i didnt find that it helped me sleep any better, i still take a sleeping medicine (temazepam), but worked great for my headache control.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try the 20mg for the next few nights and see if I notice any sleep improvement. I did try it once about 2 wks ago and had unpleasant dreams. Hopefully that was just a fluke incident. Keeping fingers crossed for restful sleep.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Could the nortriptyline use be concurrent with your tremors? Maybe it is causing them or just making them more noticeable.

Again, ask about gabapentin. It has very few side effects for most people. And, it does not cause daytime drowsiness.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 01-10-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The tremors actually started about a week or two before I started taking nortriptyline. I can't seem to figure out if the medicine is making them better or worse. I'm actually feeling little spasms and twitches in my legs right now, and they aren't usually that noticeable during the day. I did not sleep well last night though, so I'm wondering if being tired and nervous about what these trembly feelings are is making the situation worse. I will ask about the gabapentin next week. Wishing my appt was sooner.