Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Starting to feel better, but concerned about tremors

I haven't seen a whole lot mentioned here regarding resting hand or leg tremors and this is the symptom that most concerns me right now.

My concussion happened in Aug 2011. I have been slowly improving over the months and the past 2 weeks have been really good. The nausea and dizziness have lessened, I feel less nervous (probably thanks to the nortriptyline), and I've been going back to the gym around 4 days/wk for some light cardio. I really hope I can keep this up without relapsing again.

One area that does not seem to be improving much is my sleep. I probably get about 5 good hrs of sleep per night and I usually wake up at least once or twice during that time. What concerns me greatly is that beginning at about month 4 of my recovery, I began to have what I call tremors as I/during sleep. They usually happen in my hands (most noticeable in my left) and sometimes my feet and calves (most noticeable in left side also). I don't seem to have these resting tremors during the day, only at night when I try to sleep or am sleeping. I am not sure if my limbs are actually shaking when this happens (I'm usually half asleep at the time), but I definitely feel like my muscles are trembling, sort of like an inner tremble. I think they last for less than 20 seconds. I feel like if I reposition myself, the trembling feeling will stop. I should note that I was feeling these even before I started on nortriptyline.

Has anyone else experienced this? I get concerned because everything I've read regarding resting tremors usually links it to Parkinson's. I know I am at greater risk for it now, but I didn't think I would have to worry about that for many yrs from now. Thanks.
Lagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I also had tremors for the first 4 months i think....they are annoying. I have a feeling the nortriptyline exacerbates them a little....but im not positive on that. But mine did go away...im at month 8 and havent had them in a long time. I was very self conscious of it because if i was drinking something, it was very obvious....but again, i got used to them and tried not to pay too much attention to them or stress out about it.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Lagr,

Tremors and other limb movements are why I take gabapentin (Neurontin) before going to sleep. It makes a big difference for me. Maybe you should ask your doctor about it.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks nightnurse and Mark for your replies. I have a follow up appt with the neurologist next week and plan to talk to him about this annoying symptom. Hopefully it is something that will eventually fade away. It is a little scary waking up in the middle of the night feeling like your hands are shaking. I will try not to stress about it too much in the meantime. That's probably not helping the situation.
Lagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote