Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Unhappy Cat urine odor

I need to find something that really works to mask/neutralize/hide the odor of cat urine. I know the only way to really fix it is to tear up the carpet and pad, sand the floor (because it probably soaked in) and replace the carpet.

Can't afford it. And can't see doing that when we still have two 10-year-old cats. For now I just want not to smell cat pee. And whatever I use can't have it's own stink, because my husband is allergic to a lot of fragrances (like Febreeze, etc.).

*sigh*

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-16-2012)

advertisement
Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

At a pet store, they have an enzyme based spray that really helps neutralize pet urine odor. Our four cars hated our 5th cat (too many cats, yes I know but DD brings em home) and expressed thneir dislike by spraying in house (even the girls!!) Anyway. we have no carpet, only area rugs but things cleaned up. I can't smell anything and I have a super sniffer. Spray has initial smell but no fragrance. It's designed to neutralize, not pretend-mask.
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-14-2012), Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Do you remember the name of it? There are no pet stores near us here in Dogpatch, but I might be able to get somebody to pick some up for me.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM #4
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You
Do you remember the name of it?
One brand is Nature's Miracle, which we've used/depended on and sworn by for our dogs for a few dacades now. They began with their regular type for housepets, and now have one called "Just for Cats" which should be self-explanatory.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-11-2012), Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I love natures miracle and we also can dilute it and add it to a rented steam cleaner. You can peel back the carpet and spray it directly on the under side of the carpet as well.

Its well worth it to get a steam cleaner or rent one once a year. the dander and the dirty bums dragged or sat on the carpet or the cat nip that got ground in and food that got dropped can make a carpet smell funny.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 AM #6
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Blessings

There is a product at the pet store, but it tends to be expensive. I would rather have a bare floor, nothing there at all, than to live with the smell. I did have to take up carpet in my bathroom in Mo. I was lucky in my case the bath was small, I re-did the tile myself which is actually easy to do. After this particular cat decided to pee in a pumpkin on the dining room table, I had to give up with this animal however. It didn't turn out well as there was no stopping the behavior. I can't take the amonia, and I would take up the carpet as the liquid penetrates to the floor. A washable throw rug could be used instead. I do with you all the best with your kitties. Wish there were an easy way to stop it. Ask your Vet too for tips. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You
I need to find something that really works to mask/neutralize/hide the odor of cat urine. I know the only way to really fix it is to tear up the carpet and pad, sand the floor (because it probably soaked in) and replace the carpet.

Can't afford it. And can't see doing that when we still have two 10-year-old cats. For now I just want not to smell cat pee. And whatever I use can't have it's own stink, because my husband is allergic to a lot of fragrances (like Febreeze, etc.).

*sigh*
Wal-Mart sells a product called "OUT" which I have found to be very effective.

My 10 year old (I have 4....12, 11, 10, & 8) decided when we moved that he was never going to use the litter box again, and that was 2 years ago and he has stuck by that.
Cats are strange creatures!

I buy the concentrated (not the spray), and just pour it on the spot. I also purchased a carpet cleaner and clean my carpets at least once a month.
When I realized that he pretty much sticks to one area, I bought a dozen cheap bath mats and put those down. We've come to an compromise...he goes on the bath mats, and as long as I keep them clean, he goes only on them.
breezy064 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy064
My 10 year old .... decided when we moved that he was never going to use the litter box again, and that was 2 years ago and he has stuck by that.
I would - seriously - consult a cat behaviorist (Google the term), and hope it's not too late.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-15-2012), Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

When my son moved to his first home, his rescue tabby, decided to urinate next to the fireplace in his family room...an outside wall. She is a feral who ran into his apartment one November, when he was taking the trash out. She was very thin, but healthy so he kept her.

He discovered, that she did not like the litter, he provided, and
when he changed the litter she stopped her bad habit. She came into heat twice before he had her spayed, and females are known to do this... leave scent for males to find. It can get complex where cats are concerned.

Sometimes it is illness that makes them do this, leave the litter box, and sometimes it is stress, and other times it can be a more obscure reason.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-16-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Here's a really good article from my part of the world regarding Indoor Spraying in Cats.

p.s. My neighbour's cat isn't allowed in their house. He's desexed male. Thinks his territory is for about 100 metres in all directions of his yard. He can't go in their backyard either because the dog and the cat don't get on. Anyway, long story short, my indoor at night and outdoor at day desexed female goes to where he continually sprays on the bushes in my yard and then she sprays on top of it. Never has done anything like that before and certainly doesn't in the house. He's a bit of a bully and twice her size. She was beaten up badly on a few occasions when she first came here. She feels very safe inside her home, but somewhat threatened outside. As others said, it's a very complex business. Gosh I watched this show on lions recently and they were all constantly peeing all over the country.

Last edited by Lara; 02-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote