Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default the symptoms of pcs coming and going

From what I have read on the posts this is normal, just wanted verification. Testerday I felt great, no symptoms. Today I have all the syptoms of when this started; nausea, headache, brain fog. I am a worry wart and just wanted to make sure. Thank you so much.
themaidquit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, it is normal to roller coaster. If you look back at yesterday, you probably had a busy day. This causes the delayed symptoms. It is not uncommon for a relapse to follow a busy day. Also, getting a poor nights sleep can cause an increase or relapse of symptoms.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Early on it's very confusing and you question a lot whether you're having symptoms or just imagining them, being lazy or whatever. I kept having to be sent home from work cos other people could see much more than I could myself that I wasn't coping.

Generally if you're questioning if something is a symptom, it almost certainly is, but the PCS affects your insight and makes you doubt yourself.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Early on it's very confusing and you question a lot whether you're having symptoms or just imagining them, being lazy or whatever. I kept having to be sent home from work cos other people could see much more than I could myself that I wasn't coping.

Generally if you're questioning if something is a symptom, it almost certainly is, but the PCS affects your insight and makes you doubt yourself.
Klaus-I should have read this post first. It was much clearer, and made more sense. You are right about work=my coworkers know when it's a hard day for me, I can't finish sentences or thoughts. I think that is where the doubting on my part comes from; it's frustrating for me and I am not sure they believe this is really happening to me.I teach kindergarten and they are very needed and sometimes just thinking about what I am doing during the day makes the symptoms more pronounced.
Once again, thank you. I'm sorry for the post on the other thread seemed defensive.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidquit View Post
Klaus-I should have read this post first. It was much clearer, and made more sense. You are right about work=my coworkers know when it's a hard day for me, I can't finish sentences or thoughts. I think that is where the doubting on my part comes from; it's frustrating for me and I am not sure they believe this is really happening to me.I teach kindergarten and they are very needed and sometimes just thinking about what I am doing during the day makes the symptoms more pronounced.
Once again, thank you. I'm sorry for the post on the other thread seemed defensive.
Ha yeah sorry I should be more concise generally, especially on here. Of course I was not criticising you, sorry if it came across that way. You just sound a hell of a lot like I did at the beginning of my recovery and I was trying to express something I wish someone had got me to understand at that stage.

You have suffered a serious injury, which is no less serious because hardly anyone, health professionals included, seem to understand it. You may get better soon but you may well be in this for the long haul, so make the necessary changes to your lifestyle, particularly giving yourself enough rest (including cognitive rest) and getting onto a serious nutrition regimen now.

It took me months to get my head round that sort of advice and I'm trying to give you a headstart on me, because the sorts of things you are saying really remind me of the sorts of things I used to say.

Good luck!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy

Last edited by Klaus; 01-18-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: conciseness!
"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

One more thing - bit of a bombshell I'm afraid!

It also sounds to me like you should not be at work, or at the very least doing reduced hours/duties. It took me a while to work that out for myself as well. It's possible to function at a substandard level for a little while with those sorts of symptoms but by doing so you're making your brain work far too hard and really hindering recovery, especially in a stimulating environment like a kindergarten.

I kept trying to go to work until I couldn't have a proper conversation with someone, and even then it was my manager, not me, who decided I should take some time off. I lost all insight into my own ability to function, but when the decision was made for me it was such a relief.

How good a teacher are you going to be if you "can't finish sentences or thoughts"? Are you going to be consistently capable of even looking after the kids and keeping them safe? I work in an adolescent mental hospital, and I kept trying to work even though I could not think clearly and was not capable of being sure I was keeping the lads safe. Luckily nothing terrible happened.

This forum is full of people who kept struggling to work because we didn't want to make a fuss or felt that we needed the money. In the end the PCS doesn't give you a choice. (By the way I am back at work now - I'm not for a moment saying it needs to be permanent).

Again I'm not wanting to be harsh or criticise - you sound just like I did, and these are all things I wish I had understood sooner.

Very best wishes!

"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Klaus-I am not sure how to take part of the post and insert it and put my reply at the bottom. *Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense, I hope someone understands.

I work because I love the kids and it keeps me busy. If I am not at work too many "other things" are floating through my brain.

I would like someone to tell me how long this is going to last and I know that's impossible.

I am not also trying not to move to fast for when I do, I feel light headed. Is this normal for other symptoms to join the old ones.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

tmq,

Could you possibly ask your principle if you could have reduced duties? Maybe a sub could take your class and you could spend the days doing a pull-out with the kids. The slower pace of one on one or even two or three on one will do wonders for your recovery. The kids will also benefit greatly.

You could try every other day, say Tuesdays and Thursdays. The 'day off' would allow you to recover from the individual full class days. Are there any student teachers who need some class time but are able to handle a whole class alone?

You will be amazed at how well the students will respond to you. You can even explain how sometimes you brain gets stuck. They will understand. PCS is a fabulous way to start to understand the young mind as it sometimes gets overwhelmed.

Think of this scenario. You see a child having a fit. Is he having a temper tantrum or is he just overwhelmed and displaying his frustration with being overwhelmed and maybe even scared?

I have work with little ones and been able to tell when they are just outright scared and overwhelmed.

If you can arrange to do this, it will be a fabulous learning experience.

My best to you.

"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

TMQ - Yes, symptoms come and go and new ones pop up and eventually you'll realize you haven't had one for a while.

I wasn't able to work for a little over a year after the accident that gave me the tbi. When I started working, I only worked 4 hours every other day, MWF for four months until I was able to increase my hours.

I hope you seriously consider Mark's recommendation to reduce either your hours or responsibilities or both because it will help you to rest and therefore heal faster.

Mark - What an amazing insight that PCS is similar to a child's developing brain!
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (01-21-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Well, don't we often feel like three year old kids trying to figure things out?

We just have to learn to laugh at it.