Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default B-Complex 50mcg with 400mcg of Folic Acid?

Yesterday I bought "Omega 1000 EPA and DHA", B-12 500mcg and a B-Complex 50mcg that I just noticed had 400mcg of Folic Acid in it. I was just wondering if the Folic Acid would be beneficial and if that's too much to be taking?

The reason I'm asking is because I was browsing through some threads on vitamins here on the forum and noticed somebody claimed that taking Folic Acid made their brain fog worse. Brain fog is one of my most debilitating symptom right now.

Thanks.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nick,

You brain needs folic acid. The comment about folic acid causing brain fog was way out of context. You can not make decisions about vitamins and nutritional supplements very well by trying to look at day to day events. Brain nutrition is a long process. It takes a month or two to start to see the changes.

What did you mean by B-Complex 50 mcg? Were you meaning to say B-50 Complex? Most B Complex come in either a B50 or B100 strength. This means that most of the B's are 50 mgs with 50 mcgs of B-12 in a B50 complex.

My recommendation is a B100 Complex, 100 mgs of additional B-6, 200 to 500 mcgs of additional B-12, 500 to 1000 of D3, Omega 3's, 1000 mgs of C, 400 IU's of E, 1000 mgs of calcium, 500 mgs of magnesium, and a good multi-vitamin for all of the trace elements.

Notice the difference between mgs (milligrams) and mcgs (micrograms) Vit E is measured in IU's (International Units)

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

400mcg is the typical dose of OTC folic acid. RX begins at 1000mcg or 1mg.

If you take B12, remember to take it on an empty stomach.
Your post suggests you are using 500mcg? 1000 would be better, since not much is absorbed orally in most people.

Make sure your magnesium is not OXIDE form. Any other type is OK, but Oxide is not absorbed and is basically a laxative.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I take a combined total of 380 mcgs of B-12 and my blood B-12 level is about 1000 pcgs/mL. Optimum by my information.

I have suggested that Nick get his folate and B-12 measured. His anxiety level suggests that he get it checked.

"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Yes, testing is important. It is also important to understand,
that in US lab ranges go down very low. At 250 there can be significant neurological problems.

He should therefore insist on the numbers and not "normal" as a result.

Dr. Snow, did find some people in the NEW normal range of 400-500 who still had neuro symptoms and in his paper, suggested B12 therapy anyway because his patients saw improvements when they were on that borderline normal edge.

Keeping at least at a 1000 is a good idea. That is what we do on PN forum here.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,

Ditto on the Folic Acid...that's what I figured, thanks. As far as getting the B12 levels checked, I forgot to mention it to the neurologist...he has me getting blood work done (haven't gone to the lab yet)...will he be able to see the B12 levels in the results?

On the B-Complex, it says B-Complex 50 on the front...and it has 50mg of Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Pantothenic Acid...50mcg of B12 and Biotin...and the Folic Acid I mentioned. I knew I should have got the B100 complex ...next time I go to GNC.

Only things I'm missing out of what Mark suggested is the D3, magnesium, calcium, E, and additional B6
...not sure if the One-A-Day is what you mean when you say multi-vitamin.

MrsD - Not sure about the magnesium yet..don't think I'm taking any yet?...and thanks for the suggestion of taking the B12 on an empty stomach. I was going to get 1000mcg of B12 instead of 500mcg, but someone on here (can't remember who) told me that was too much..so I got 500mcg instead. I figured the 500 + the B-complex would be enough.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Call your neuro's office and see if they can add folate and B-12 to the blood test. It should not be a big deal.

One a Day is a multi-vitamin but it is very wimpy in dosages. It even uses mag oxide (the laxative version)The GNC MegaMen multi looks good.

Check for online specials and coupons before shopping at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe stores. The stores will match online sale prices. Just print out the online prices.

Avoid advertised brands like One a Day and Centrum. They tend to be over-priced for the dosages. I guess too much is spent on TV spots.

Mag citrate is good. Sometimes, you can find a calcium and mag citrate combo.

Good to see you getting on the full nutrition plan.

"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Call your neuro's office and see if they can add folate and B-12 to the blood test. It should not be a big deal.

Just left a message with the doctor about this...thanks.

One a Day is a multi-vitamin but it is very wimpy in dosages. It even uses mag oxide (the laxative version)The GNC MegaMen multi looks good.

Should I take Two-A-Day until I get something better? Haha..I'm gonna hit GNC before the weekend is over and check out their multi-vitamin selection.

Check for online specials and coupons before shopping at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe stores. The stores will match online sale prices. Just print out the online prices.

Avoid advertised brands like One a Day and Centrum. They tend to be over-priced for the dosages. I guess too much is spent on TV spots.

Mag citrate is good. Sometimes, you can find a calcium and mag citrate combo.

Thank you for these suggestions.

Good to see you getting on the full nutrition plan.

Hey, I'm at war with PCS. Whatever it takes to win the battle.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 PM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

To get enough of most of the vitamins you need from One a Day, you would need 5 or 6 a day then you may be overdoing it on some micro-nutrient. Plus, the mag oxide dose would have you running. It borders on homeopathic. fyi, Homeopathic is a nutrition and drug regimen where the body is supposed to react in a positive way to an almost imperceptible level of the compound. It is like tossing a vitamin in a full bathtub, getting it dissolved. Then consuming an eye dropper of the water. If you get to GNC and buy some MegaMen or equivalent, give the One a Day to a friend or enemy.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Thanks =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
If you get to GNC and buy some MegaMen or equivalent, give the One a Day to a friend or enemy.
This gave me a good laugh, thanks.

I have a couple people in mind.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.