Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Life goes on...

It's been six months and change six the accident that literally changed my life. I promise to never assume again that because I don't see crutches, casts, or bandages you must be feeling better.

Went to see PT this week to check on the progress of recovering from BPPV. (Benign Paroxysmal Persistent Vertigo) Good news is-showed zero symptoms in office. Bad news is, I made myself dizzy rolling over in bed the same night. For the love....

Started back to school last week. I am a full time college student-didn't go fall semester due to the accident. Finding that I am having to pay closer attention than before, the cafeteria is probably the loudest place on earth, and two days a week is PLENTY right now.

I'm very grateful to all of you who have given advice, offered concern, and simply read and nodded your head in agreement.

Six months out I can report much less vertigo. Short term memory is much better, but I still forget things. Still light and noise sensitive, but not nearly as bad, and word finding is much better, but still happens occasionally.

There is hope. Hang in there everybody. You might never be 100% of where you were, but I say-97% is the new 100%!
tamisue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bh_pcs (01-23-2012), Klaus (01-23-2012)

advertisement
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You sound very hopeful about the future-I am happy for you-and it gives me piece of mind to know things will get better.
themaidquit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamisue (01-23-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

tamisue,

Try sitting in the front of the class and maybe even wearing foam ear plugs. The reduced visual and auditory stimulation should help you focus on the subject matter.

Different brands/styles of ear plugs block different amounts of sounds. I find the bugle shaped ones (usually orange) block the least. They might take the edge off the room sounds and echos. It would also be worth explaining to the instructor why you are doing this. Most should be understanding and accommodating.

These tricks work very well for my daughter. She uses them for her military training.

Give it a try and let us know how you are doing.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamisue (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:08 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Mark & Maid!

Mark-I had to laugh-I've always been in the front since it forces me to pay attention and not daydream.

I bought earplugs back in July...when the daughter and grandson moved in. Boy, have they been awesome. I can sit outside as weather permits and I'm really lucky that my "lunch" time is at 1:45 so at lot of people have already been and gone. It really is loud-so I do need to take my earplus with me.

My new tag line is going to be-97% is the new 100%!
tamisue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Good luck! Sounds like you're doing a great job of listening to your body and taking it slow.

And I love your saying!!

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamisue (01-25-2012)