Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Tips for Working With Light Sensitivity

Here are some of the adaptations I have found helpful in dealing with the light sensitivity:

1. For PC laptops, you can dim the screen by holding down 'FN' (bottom left) and tapping the F6 key. If you need to brighten it back up, do the same thing with the F7 key.

2. Download and install f.lux (just google it), It's free, very quick, and it takes the blue light out of your computer screen, making it give off a softer yellow light that I find to be much easier on the eyes. It automatically sets itself to go to yellow light only after sunset, but you can change the settings so that it always screens out the blue light.

3. Even though I always wear sunglasses at the computer, 1 and 2 are usually not dark enough for me. I purchased a bunch of colored plastic folders from Office Max (transparent) and have cut them out for various uses. I put a blue one and a yellow one on my computer screen to screen out even more light. These plastic sheets can also be used for reading, though I find that it's hard for me to read with anything darker than a very light color. Along the same lines, you can purchase colored printing paper--I find light blue to work pretty well--to reduce glare and eye strain from black-on-white ink and paper.

4. If you have to work with word documents, go to the 'page layout' tab. From here, you can change the color of the document. I find that it makes a HUGE difference if I change the document color to gray and work with black on gray (compared to normal black on white); it is much, much darker, though it can be hard to see the cursor. You can also change the text color, and it is worth experimenting with different combinations to see what works best for you.

5. Sunglasses, obviously. I wear glasses, which makes it tricky. I have a pair of clip-ons that are lighter. I use them for driving at night, since I can still see the road and other cars fine, but it helps to block out the headlights. I also use them just in general in settings that are somewhat dark, but not quite dark enough. I also have a large pair of "Locs" that I ordered from Amazon. They are very dark, have a wide earpiece that blocks out peripheral light, and they fit over my glasses. I eventually had to add black duck tape to the bottom corners because I was still getting too much light. For fluorescent lights, I need to both wear my clip-ons and the Locs (with tape), and the lights still hurt my eyes.

6. I always wear a hat to screen out light from above.

7. I do as much of my typing as possible with my eyes closed.

8. I downloaded text-to-voice software that works pretty well for "reading" articles, documents, etc. Anything that can be highlighted for cut and paste can be read aloud to you by these programs. Natural Reader is a decent free program, but the computer voice is very choppy. If you're willing to spend a little money, you can get another one called Text Aloud (basic version is free, and similar to NR), that allows you to download much better voices.

9. I'm working on getting voice recognition software installed (I think there is already some basic software on my computer), but am waiting for an external mic to be delivered (internal mic isn't working).

Those are the main modifications I've made, aside from the other obvious stuff such as limiting computer and TV time, limiting outdoor time, limiting time under fluorescent lights--basically spending as much of my time as I can in a dark environment (though it's usually helpful to have some ambient light when I'm working at the computer, so my pupils aren't too dilated).

Pete
kwaddington (03-19-2012), Scott in Fenton (03-20-2012), Soccergal (03-20-2012), SpaceCadet (01-23-2012)

advertisement
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool

Thanks...lots of useful information here.

It's funny you posted this now because I was just noticing how bright the monitor on my PC is...I just lowered the brightness and put on some shades.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Those are good tips. I downloaded flux a few weeks ago and I'm so glad I did! I am currently trying to figure out why my brain is so sensitive to only certain wavelengths of light, and I'm doing lots of the things you mentioned.

For me tinted lenses have been the biggest help, though the kind I had let in too much light around the lens, I had to make some pretty funny looking blinders for the sides. I have since seen a neurologist who has started me on a medicine that she says may help 'dull' my sensors who are, I guess, overreacting to certain kinds of light. I'm hoping the medication will help. I'm also seeing an optometrist who mentioned tinted contact lenses, maybe that will be helpful, I'll have to report back...seeing him thursday.

I don't know much about PCS. Do they think this light sensitivity is something you will have the rest of your life? That's the part that's probably hardest for me to deal with...... Is it all light that you are sensitive to, or just certain kinds of light. I'm also curious to know if your Drs. had any explanation for why you became light sensitive...I mean you know what caused it, but why did that result in being more light sensitive?

I would love to hear more, to be in contact with someone who is dealing with light sensitivity, and coming up with ways to get by. Thanks for all the tips.

-repinuj
repinuj13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

xanadu00 : Great tips for folks on the computer and suffering. Just today I was thinking about sunglasses. I am going to try your suggestions since lately my computer usage is making my symptoms worse.

repinuj13 : What medications you are on to dull your sensors? Interesting. I am curious I missed something when it comes to meds.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Repinuj:

I am also interested in hearing what that medication is.

I've heard about tinted lenses, and apparently the pink tint is supposed to be effective, but my light sensitivity is so bad that I doubt pink lenses would be dark enough for me. But I haven't tried them, so it's hard to say. Another problem, though, is that I wear prescription lenses, and my new prescription exacerbates my headaches My oid prescription is almost 20/20, but the new one is just different enough to cause headaches. If they add a pink tint, they'll have to do it with new lenses and the new prescription.

I've had light sensitivity since August and it's been extreme since October. I have to wear some sort of eye protection all the time--even while indoors in a dimly lit environment. The worst kind of light by far is fluorescent light, and computer and TV backlighting are also very troublesome. Sunlight is difficult as well, especially when it's snowy out.

I also had to make some blinders (out of black duck tape) for my super dark glasses, which I use when outdoors and in fluorescent lighting. I get by on the computer with the lighter glasses, since I have made so many modifications to my screen brightness.

I'm not sure whether certain wavelengths are causing me more problems. However, the lighter pair of sunglasses I have changes the tint of the light in a way that really seems to help.

Finally, a follow-up on my number 8 above. Text Aloud will install a toolbar on Firefox and Internet Explorer (it asks you whether to install it; say yes) that allows you to zoom way in and magnify the text of any page. I am finding this to help enormously, since I also have bad eye strain, which I think is related to the light sensitivity.

Pete
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm bumping this up as a supplement to the thread on making your computer more accessible.
SpaceCadet (03-19-2012)