Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Where is the best concussion care?

Now that I've been terminated from my job, and my husband isn't finding work in his field locally, it is conceivable that we might be able to move almost anywhere.

What doctors/clinics/other providers are the very best for post-concussion care and PCS in the country? Might as well put that into the hopper for consideration along with everything else...

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well I am obviously feeling better since I seem to be on a posting roll. I wish I could answer your question but I would have to ask a different question instead. ARE there ANY doctors AT ALL that really have any idea about this crap? Just from watching that movie that I put in another post which is one of the first actual movies that I have been able to watch in a long time. Does any one else wonder if all doctors really be that stupid or are they just pretending so they do not have to admit that they know nothing about concussions.
JoeT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What gets me are the doctors who say they think can help you for a price, when in fact they can't. Gotta watch out for alternative as well as mainstream huckster "doctors".

Maybe someone will post something positive now-
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'd consider the Team who helped John Byler in Massachusetts. View his YouTube called "You Look Great" for some direction in that area.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (01-24-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
What gets me are the doctors who say they think can help you for a price, when in fact they can't. Gotta watch out for alternative as well as mainstream huckster "doctors".

Maybe someone will post something positive now-
Ok - on a positive note.... I'm positive you're RIGHT!

Wife of 54 year old hubby who sustained TBI January 2011 downhill skiing.

Hubby is: Machinist, off work since injury. 70% of the time feels really, really rotten (better! Used to be 99% of the time) 30% of time he just feels bad but can push thru to do something.

Current Symptoms: Light & noise sensitivity, brain fog (lessened by Zoloft), extreme fatigue, balance issues (walks with cane), cognitive problems (slowed & more difficult thinking), overwhelmed easily. Difficulty falling asleep but then could stay asleep for 12 hours or more
(Uses CPAP machine while sleeping due to apnea NOT caused by TBI)

All symptoms increased by stress, fatigue & crowds. Jostling movements (walking briskly, bumpy rides) are VERY bad & cause severe set-back

Seems to help: Taking 150mg Zoloft at night for symptom control, especially helps with "brain flips / swishing when walking" and brain fog (helped). 300 mg Gabapentin (100 3xdaily) for headaches (works pretty well. Minor headaches are eased by combined Acetaminophen & aspirin). Xanax for anxiety, but also seems to slow the overstimulation feeling when out-and-about. Feels best while lying down (vertical position seems to bring on symptoms)

Misc: Clear EEG, clear MRI'S (2 of them). No cut, bump or bruise after accident - all damage internal
Oddly enough, he's not bothered at ALL by tv
Praise the Lord he has NO difficulty driving.
AllAmericanAmy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What about that concussion clinic in Buffalo that a member here went to and said they were back to their normal activity levels after being there?

In the last few days, I've been thinking that if I ever get a settlement from the accident I was in and after all my bills and debts are paid off that I might be able to go there so they can help me.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The U of Buffalo concussion clinic is more about getting athletes back on the field than recovering from all of their PCS cognitive symptoms. As time goes by, I think the shortcomings of their approach will become more evident.

They specifically state that they make no claim to their program prognosing nor changing the risk of future re-injury.

This is not to say that there is no value to the Buffalo protocol, just don't think of it as a cure-all.

"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
The U of Buffalo concussion clinic is more about getting athletes back on the field than recovering from all of their PCS cognitive symptoms. As time goes by, I think the shortcomings of their approach will become more evident.

They specifically state that they make no claim to their program prognosing nor changing the risk of future re-injury.

This is not to say that there is no value to the Buffalo protocol, just don't think of it as a cure-all.
I didn't think of it as a cure-all, but I was VERY active before the accident and now I'm basically sedentary - when I move around it can degrade my cognitive functioning and speech drastically. I'm hoping to someday be active again, regardless of my cognitive functioning level, and I think they might be able to help me to achieve that. (By active, I mean lots of yoga, gym workouts, heavy cardio and my job is normally very physically demanding, no real sports.)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

EsthersDoll,

Heavy cardio, yoga positions with the head down, and other intense tasks may not ever be in your future. I can do strenuous work but have limits to how I can position my body. Too much head down or head lower during efforts can be problematic.

You may try starting with a chair bike pedal exerciser. Here is a link to some models available. http://www.nextag.com/chair-bike-pedals/compare-html

By exercising without foot plant impacts from walking nor visual or auditory over-stimulation at a gym, you can know that any symptoms are just from the exercising.

Track the amount of time and the tension settings you use and your blood pressure and pulse before, during and after the exercise. If you become symptomatic, rest and try a lower level of effort the next time. When you find the no-symptom exercise level, do this exercise for a few weeks before increasing your effort by a small amount, maybe 10%.

This is basically the Buffalo protocol.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
EsthersDoll,

Heavy cardio, yoga positions with the head down, and other intense tasks may not ever be in your future. I can do strenuous work but have limits to how I can position my body. Too much head down or head lower during efforts can be problematic.

You may try starting with a chair bike pedal exerciser. Here is a link to some models available. http://www.nextag.com/chair-bike-pedals/compare-html

By exercising without foot plant impacts from walking nor visual or auditory over-stimulation at a gym, you can know that any symptoms are just from the exercising.

Track the amount of time and the tension settings you use and your blood pressure and pulse before, during and after the exercise. If you become symptomatic, rest and try a lower level of effort the next time. When you find the no-symptom exercise level, do this exercise for a few weeks before increasing your effort by a small amount, maybe 10%.

This is basically the Buffalo protocol.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

Thanks!

I'm confused by what you meant here:

Quote:
EsthersDoll,
I'm not able to go to the gym at all right now. I can hardly do a load of dishes in my quiet home without my cognitive functioning worsening.

I am recovering from both six months of bed rest and a brain injury.

I had iicp for the first six months after the mtbi. Before the accident I was very active. During the time when I had the iicp, the last three months were probably the worst, I needed help walking from my couch to the bath room which was ten feet away. I literally couldn't do it on my own. I couldn't shower. I needed rehabilitation and PT for months after the iicp was relieved and I was 33 at the time (I'm 34 now) and I was given a walker to use to help me recondition my body. All of my muscles had atrophied.

My Dr. told me that having to recover from both the brain injury and the bed rest makes me fatigue more than one or the other would have and makes it more difficult to recover from either one as well because it will take a longer. From what I can gather - brain injuries take reserve energy to heal and so much bed rest greatly minimizes the amount of reserve energy available.

I'm not ready to get on an exercise bike yet. I've tried to take a slow walk around my quiet block to try to increase my stamina, but I think in addition to me working (with minimal responsibilities and minimal activity there) it was just too much and I declined a lot. I intend to try again, but not soon. When I feel somewhat better I try to do little odds and ends around the house, but it's really tough to gauge what is too much sometimes, like the dishes, because just sitting makes me feel like I'm doing too much most of the time. After I can take short, calm walks and be ok, I'll take longer walks and then I'll move up to an exercise bike.

Since my brain is still healing, I've decided to continue to rest as much as possible and then to try to work on getting better physically. It might take years but as long as I have the hope that I can improve I'll do better emotionally.