Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neuro Psyc testing post concussion

Hi everyone,

I was in an auto accident over the summer and had a neck injury – a few days later developed terrible headaches, nausea, slurred speech etc…

I did have cervical MRI – showed several small disc bulges – then brain MRI which was normal.

The headaches were being treated as a tension headache but have not let up on occurrence just intensity with help from medication. I am seeing a Neurologist who DX PCS but second appt I feel they think I should be better than I am. I did undergo neuro psyche testing and get results in a week.

I wanted to know how these tests are used. I know I had some problems when it came to organizing and trying to remember information that was read aloud – not sure if I did well or poorly on the other stuff – some was easier than others. During the process I was asked about historical figures I should have learned in elementary school – looong time ago but I think I gave a reasonable answer. ( not sure what this type of question would prove unless you were not smarter than a 5th grader) in any case reading a lot of the posts here it appears that after such testing most DX go from PCS or TBI to you must be depressed\mentally ill? How are these tests scored and do I have the right to get the full report – when it is discussed with me
jinga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

There's no reason your diagnosis should change after neuropsych testing - mine didn't even though the testing suggested that I am 'normal'.

It does seem from other threads that what you have described has happened, wrongly, to other people, so I guess it just depends on how good your neuropsychologist and neurologist are. There's plenty of evidence that PCS can last a very long time so if they know what they are talking about then whether or not they think you 'should' be better by now will be irrelevant.

No point worrying about it anyway - worry is bad for your brain so just reassure yourself, then try and think about something else!

The neuropsych tests test for all sorts of different cognitive function and it is often difficult to tell which one is for which thing. They should explain the results to you. Try not to worry about that either

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote