Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Adopting a dog?

I am thinking of adopting an adult dog that is a few years old that would be mostly or house broken and some what mellow personality. I have a few concerns so wanted others experience and feedback. I have PN and RSD so it comes with a lot of pain. I live on my own and function with everyday tasks live on 2nd floor etc but some days are more extreme pain where I cry from it then others. I feel very alone since I don't know a lot of people in the area I moved and also from being limited since I don't work etc. I can afford an animal though so that issue is ok.
So I guess my question is others who are in pain and take care of animals do you find the benefits of love from the animal help you to push through the pain or is it just adding more stress/too much extra to the already? Any other feedback or things you feel could help or I should consider I would appreciate. I am not a cat person either cause that was brought up as a suggestion once
Thank you for your thoughts
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If you live in an apartment, you'll want to investigate a dog breed that does not bark alot. A small dog might be best for you.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks I will add that to my list of things to ask and also research. I am hoping if I do this that I can get honest feedback from the person who is trying to adopt the dog out.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I have Oz (who is 10) and Rori (8 months). We got Rori at 8 weeks, DH and our 2 kids did a lot of Trying to Housebreak cleanup. Now she is fully housebroken. I am in a power-chair and often glad an opening of a door puts her and Oz into a fenced backyard. Rori is a big bouncy puppy/dog whom I can't walk, feed or clean up after very easily. Puppies were harder than my twin babies in some ways. Rori is crate-trained. Door is never shut on her until bedtime. Rori gets that I am different from rest of family, avoids getting under my powerchair and bounces in with her ball or toys and practically puts them in my hand to throw. We have a bond. I do love her (and DH and kids) but doing this alone would be too hard for me. But I love having her, she makes me smile. Although Vets can be expensive we've discovered.
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
daniella (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM #5
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella
So I guess my question is others who are in pain and take care of animals do you find the benefits of love from the animal help you to push through the pain or is it just adding more stress/too much extra to the already?
It's both, and in the dog's best interest (and to my own detriment) I'd never attempt it without my DW/caregiver to pick up some of the slack. You undoubtedly have good days and bad days. That won't change, and will affect your ability to take care of a dog adequately.

You mentioned living on a second floor. One of the commitments you'll be making is taking the dog outside 3-4 times every 24 hours, regardless of weather, how bad you're feeling, how disabled you are from the pain. Dogs need to go outside and need exercise (which can be easier if s/he's a ball-o-holic - it doesn't take a lot to toss something to fetch).

You mentioned housebroken or mostly housebroken. Make it housebroken. Older dogs can be trained, but not easily, whether using a crate or not. A dog that isn't completely housebroken by 6 months or so has some wiring problems, which could also be a warning sign of some other problems; it's a behavioral issue that runs contrary to the animals natural instincts. I'm not saying it can't be fixed, but it's not within the purview or expertise of typical dog-owners. I just don't think you need that (behavioral issues) on top of the rest of the responsibilities. There are plenty of good dogs without these kinds of problems. I'm not saying that dogs with problems aren't deserving either; I'm just saying be realistic in your situation. A dog is a lifetime (of the dog) commitment.

Misrepresentations: are more likely when adopting from an individual, who is anxious to rid themselves of a problem. Bonafide rescues are more difficult to adopt from, but tend to be as candid/honest as they can because they don't want the animal coming back.

Whatever dog you get will pick up on your pain and understand. This may come out as depression, but they're very compassionate as well. Dogs will know when you're going to have a flare before you do, and if you study them half as much as they study you, you'll be able to pick up on your own flares before they happen based on the dog's behavior.

The benefits will depend a lot on the dog's unique personality. While they all have the potential to be loving creatures, not all understand love & affection the same way we do. For example, they don't all understand or tolerate hugs. Our last two have, but our first didn't want anything to do with hugs; she expressed herself differently. Speaking of which, males & females have some slightly different traits it would be good to be aware of, as do breeds. I guess what I'm saying here is that not all dogs make the cut as therapy dogs; it requires a certain special temperment and personality.

Dogs also differ in what motivates them in training and in life. Some are motivated only by food, some by toys/play, some by praise affection, some by needing a job/task to perform.

My best advice would be to work with some qualified (not kids/volunteers) shelter workers who know their stuff about matching dogs with their new parents. Make them aware of your situation, needs, limitations, desires, expectations, etc., and they can better match you with the right dog for you (and you may be surprised).

There's more, and if I can be of any help, you know where to find me.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 01-31-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Thank you all so much for your feedback and help. I really appreciate it and you have helped me a lot to think. I also found this program and it is called foster to possibly adopt. You can foster a dog and if it works out you can then adopt it. I had thought of fostering but with my list of requirements in terms of personality,age,size, I did not think it was possible by I may look more into it.
Dr smith yes I did think about the having to go out multiple times in all conditions. I live in So Cal but still. Like you said I have some bad and some better days and that is the issue and also the unknown of the condition of how pain/health will change.
You know it is so true about dogs picking up on conditions. My moms dog I housesat for or even when I would come over would know not to jump on me cause of legs and when I would be sad would put his head on my shoulder. When I took care of him I was able but it was a short time and he was an easy dog so to speak.
Kicker I am glad your pups bring you joy though I understand the $ of vets and puppies being a handful. My mom just got a new pup and she has to watch him every minute because of the housebreaking and she is trying to train him to be a therapy dog too. Glad you have help
Thank you again everyone
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Dr. Smith is kind of a Dog-Whisperer. I taught Emotionally Disturbed kids, many behaviorally disturbed, DH called me a child-whisperer. A dog, like a child, is a commitment.

I know you say you are not a cat-person, but a cat is easier. Litter boxes eliminate the need to go out, they aren't as needy and bouncy as Dogs and I have 3 I love and who show affection back. We had a cat we used to call Nurse B. If I got the flu, she stayed at my side. She would cuddle up with my 3 year old son. (but not his twin sister who didn't love animals like him. At 20 now, he is adored by dogs) My cats were raised by us, they walk with us if we go down the llllooonnnnggggg drive. It was expected and all the animals get along.

Cat or dog, there are medical emergencies. An animal is a commitment.
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I agree with Kicker. It is no secret I am a cat lover.

But I grew up with dogs, spaniel types.

We considered a small dog when we expected Sheba to pass.
She lived a LONG time and when that time came, I could not
bring myself to get a dog. Dogs require certain types of human personality I think. They need a leader, and they follow. If a leader is not present, all sorts of aggressive confused behaviors may result. ie. the dog is confused. Cat owners, are not so much of a dominant companion. Cats exist parallel to us. If raised with gentle respect and taught limits, they can almost be like a dog in some respects.

Oreo keeps my husband company outside, follows him around and plays around him. UpNorth, they follow us on hikes on our private island property. They do go off and do their own things occasionally, as ours are indoor/outdoor.(with indoor predominating). But with my limited mobility now, and difficulty bending over and lifting, cats are just much better for me now. I've trained our kitties to commands, and they do understand alot of language. Our new one especially is very clever and playful, and everyday we laugh and have a very good time with HIM. Cats are far more sensible for living indoors.

You have to consider your moving around the country needs. Are you planning on staying where you are now, for a long while? Moving across the country with a pet is difficult. I personally would be worried about flying.A car trip would be easier, but still a stressor.

So don't think cats are aloof... they are what you give to them.
The more you interact with them, the more they give back to you. They are very sensitive when treated gently with respect.
They don't like raised voices, or angry outbursts.

Right now our 3 are : Weezie (the timid-and still a baby), Oreo (the brave hunter and
athletically playful, and devoted), and little Houdini (the true friend, the gentle one who loves to play). Each has their own personality. I just love little kittens and watching them grow. They are in many ways like human babies.

So please do some homework before getting a pet. And trust your gut.... many times an animal speaks to you... and if that is the case, then listening to that, would be your answer finally.
Houdini spoke to us when we visited him at his birth home. He was a 100% outdoor feral kitten. Never litter trained or in a house. But he was so unlike his littermates, and really spoke to me. So I took the plunge with him, and he is turning out to be just an exceptional animal. He is very cautious and non-aggressive for a male.. I was rather stunned with him, in fact.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 AM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi thank you again.
I know people have bonds with their cats but a cat is just not for me. I know they are so much easier to take care of and am happy for the people that have them and find comfort and love.
Mrs D I have considered that because I move A LOT but it won't be states probably unless something happens
This is why I thought the fostering a dog could be good because it woul allow me to get a feeling and also allow me to see how I am able with the condition to take care of a dog.
This is all just thoughts right now and I am not making any choices especially right now in the flare I am in and some family issues.
Well thank you and I will keep you updated
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Moving with a dog

I don't see moving with a dog as a problem at all.

Wolf/dog packs are nomadic by nature; they go where the food is plentiful. Dogs are extremely adaptive, and what's most important to them is being with a pack/family they feel secure with. That's why there are stories about dogs crossing vast distances to find their way back to their pack/families. It's also why they can adapt well to new families.

Daniella, take care of yourself and what you need to. There's no rush, and their will never be a shortage of appropriate companions.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote