Medications & Treatments For discussion about medications and treatments for any disease or health condition, including issues of medication toxicity.

advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help Herbs instead of neurontin or cymbalta

What does anyone think of using herbs instead of taking lots of meds? I'm taking 30 mg of cymbalta and 1800 mg of neurontin for pain right now. Ever since they uped my neurontin I'm not sleeping good, I talk too much in my sleep. I'm not against medications, especially these ones, cause they're not narcotic, but it's usualy not for me. I'll contact my doctor before I stop taking them.Has anyone experienced sleep isues with a high dose of neurontin? If so, please email me at SKYSPIRIT@AOL.COM. Thanks everyone and take care.
skyspirit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 AM #2
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

skyspirit
it really does depend on why you need the meds and whether there are herbal or other supplements that can substitute efficiently for them

my son did not do well on the meds for Tourette Syndrome/OCD and has benefited tremendously from a supplement treatment program

but this really isnt something you should do without careful consideration and also SLOW withdrawal of your meds...it isnt a good idea to just suddenly stop!
Also, before you introduce any herbs etc...be sure they dont have a negative interaction with the meds you are on

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Grin

They have me on the meds for nerve pain from possible multiple sclerosis that's in remission right now, supposably. I'm going to get with a naturopathic doctor and see what to do. I stopped my meds 4 days ago and take 1 mg melatonin to fall asleep right now. I feel fine, so I'm not worried about me stopping the meds. I'm contacting my physician to see if it's ok to take herbs instead. I don't think that anyone has a right to tell someone that holistic way of life is not a consideration. In my eye's, the doctors that I've been dealing with told me to keep doing what makes me feel good and the meds were messing me up, so I'll go with my gut feeling. Thanks for the reply.
skyspirit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:24 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Consider this: Anything you put in to your body that has an effect is in essence a drug. Whether it's labeled as such or not.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:26 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I too was put on Neurtontin (Gabapentin) for nerve pain. I started to list what this drug did to me but decided against it. Suffice it to say it did not work for "nerve pain".

Being Native American with elders that did not have access to adequate health care until about 10 years ago, I grew up with people who utilized nature around them.

I do not like taking pills, my doc's know that - and will always revert to drinking teas or utilizing natural remedies.

There are a host of teas that help with calming (with me any tea calms me down) but Grandma would use Pineapple plant (Alaskan Chamomile) and Raspberry leaf tea right before bedtime.

Valarian root and melatonin really help with falling asleep.

Talk to your doctor though I remember that I had to be wiened off the neurontin, you have to dose down or you really will get some bad side effects.

All the best - Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've found that for msot pain and aillments in general, cannabis is a very effective and safe herb to utilize. Just thought I'd join to tell you not to overlook this particular remedy (since you seem interested in an jerbal approach).

If this post somehow breaks the rules of the forum would a moderator please delete it?
Xil1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:48 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xil1 View Post
I've found that for msot pain and aillments in general, cannabis is a very effective and safe herb to utilize. Just thought I'd join to tell you not to overlook this particular remedy (since you seem interested in an jerbal approach).

If this post somehow breaks the rules of the forum would a moderator please delete it?
For me, pot makes any pain I have more intense. And having anxiety disorder it's a no-no for me. I know many people that pot works well for as a pain reliever. But not me. I don't think it makes my pain worse actually, it just makes me *think* my pain is worse as I can't seem to focus on anything else. If that makes sense.

I prefer the more natural routes myself but people have to remember that anything we put into our bodies that has an effect on any part of our bodies is a drug. Natural or otherwise.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:18 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm with Xil1 on this. Marijuana is one of the best medicines available, and replaces many other drugs in just one dose.

But Jarret is right, too... depending upon the variety and strain, mj CAN make pain worse. There are several varieties that cause the blood to pound in my veins, and those are a big no-no for me. Each person must find the type that works best for them, and the only way to do that is experimentation

The gov't tries to make mj sound so awful, yet they prescribe Marinol (synthetic THC) for me and my hubby. They won't let me grow my own, yet they'll happily make the taxpayers foot the bill for this expensive medicine. I should probably NOT get into what this does for my self-respect, either... taking a hand-out when I could easily grow my own meds.

IMO, it's the pharmaceutical companies that are dead-set against mj being legalized. There is no money in it for them, rather it will replace some meds that are the bread-and-butter of these companies. Imagine not needing Neurontin, Valium, Prilosec, Klonopin... the list is endless. I am proof positive that mj works. When I had it, I didn't need all those pills. When I could no longer get mj, I was right back on the meds. Not the particular ones I used as example above, but pills nonetheless. Too many pills... with all their side effects which require even more pills <sigh>

My mother has many health conditions, and she takes more drugs than anyone I have ever met. They have even led her into drug-induced Lupus, yay! One day, she asked me to smoke a joint with her... this was years ago... so of course I said yes.

She had the best day she had had in many years. Her pain was greatly reduced, and her nerves were settled. She seemed at peace for a change. To see her smiling and laughing, actually swinging her feet as we chatted... it made my heart swell. Then my father came into the picture. Well, that killed her good mood, made her ashamed of having been happy for a few short moments, and put her right back where she started. What a shame.

The final point for me is this: God created mj, man created pills... who do you trust more?

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM #9
Banned User

15 yr Member
Banned User

15 yr Member
Default MJ

One problem with MJ; the smoke is very bad for your lung tissue.
anasazi23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:39 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

eat it, vape it, so many options. and as long as you are relatively active it doesn't do very much damage to lung tissue at all.
Xil1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote