Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New here and need advice please

My 11 year old cat Dude was just diagnosed today with abdominal carcinomatosis, and it's inoperable.
I'm still in shock since less than 2 weeks ago he seemed perfect, then he just changed.
The vet said that with this type of cancer, no treatment has been really successful, which just has me totally torn up.
I was wondering if anybody has ever had to deal with this, if they have had any success with chemo, or how will I know when it's time to let him go. Right now he's still pretty active, but not his usual active.
My youngest cat (I have 4) was given a death sentence by a vet at age 5 when he was diagnosed with a severe liver infection and I was told I was being selfish by not putting him down. After several weeks of force feeding him, giving him MMS and milk thistle, he's now a perfectly health 8 year old (and seeing a different vet). I think this is why I'm having such a difficulty accepting Dude's condition.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much.
breezy064 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)

advertisement
Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Our 13.5 yr old was diagnosed in Oct with abdominal mast cell carcinoma (from a biopsy). She was given 2 months without surgery, and 6mos with..I had problems with the special vet, bleeding us of money...for extra unnecessary testing and more surgery.

So I took Oreo to a new vet (the 4th in this problem), and he thought the lump in her neck was related to the abdominal mass, and since all her tests were good, and she was not hyperthyroid as suspected, he offered to treat Oreo with prednisolone high dose. She had two treatments with tapers. So here we are 4mons after the diagnosis, and her neck lump receded and the abdominal is smaller. She still eats well, is very athletic and runs around, and even plays now some --which is astounding--- and we are to watch for sudden weight loss, and other weakness etc. We are prepared for a sudden intestinal perforation, which the vet said is likely someday, but she is doing very well. Anyone looking at her would never guess she has a cancer!

I talked to a guy on Yahoo groups, and his cat died quickly. But by the time they found the cancer he was already in pain and had a bloated abdomen.

We had Oreo wormed with Profender in Sept, and I gave her B12 oral 5mg 3 times a week for 2 months, before her Prednisolone treatment. She eats like crazy, and eliminates okay, and will be 14 in July. She asks to go out even when it is cold, stays out about 1/2 hr comes in warms up and does it again! Every day! So I let her do what she wants, within reason. We don't let her out if we are not going to be home to watch her in the yard. I figure each day is her last... but she
keeps on going well! Cats are mysterious animals...as our new 4th Vet keeps saying. She hasn't lost any weight yet! She weighs 8.25lb still.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
breezy064 (02-14-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you, Mrs.D, what you said makes me feel a little better. Unfortunately, Dude has lost 3 lbs and his belly is bloating. But he's still so active...it's tearing me up.

I will try the B12...thank you for that.

He's going to an oncologist on Thursday, as advised by his second vet, and he said they would probably suggest the Prednisol and possibly other treatments.

Vet #1 has also been bleeding us dry. She was the one that suggested I take him to #2 for the ultrasound, and after I told her that he said that it was inoperable, she still kept talking about exploratory surgery.
I think I'll be looking for a new vet. I thought she would be better than our last one since she only treats cats, but now I'm beginning to have my doubts.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Shocked

You certainly sound like an echo of the place we were going to!

How odd!

Oreo does not have GI symptoms yet. The mass was found while examining the neck lump which we were told was on the thyroid.

Two thyroid tests later...normal... the special cat vet wanted to do the exploratory ANYWAY after the ultrasound and biopsy...which was going to be at least $1,600! She wanted an cardiac ultrasound and more blood work,then the big surgery,
$5,000 plus. I said whoa!.... and backed out of there very fast.

Oreo is very happy, active, and I couldn't see turning her into an invalid and us robbed of our retirement money!
So the 4th vet said... "I wouldn't do surgery...it will spread this cancer in a flash" So we decided to do the prednisolone. It made her edgy and a bit mean, but it was 2 weeks on, then taper, 2more weeks higher, taper, and now she is not medicated as of yet. We are aware that she will have to be put to sleep soon, eventually but hubby is hoping they are all wrong, or crooks or whatever, since Oreo seems fine to him!

The 4th vet said the neck lump was probably the primary lesion, and it has receded..so we are hopeful she is in remission and can enjoy her active life a bit longer. Her picture is in my signature on this post...she is in the middle of the 3. I took that this summer, when her neck lump had just been found. Vet #1 did not palpate the abdominal area well, or it came up over vacation. It was found it Sept.

Gotta watch the Vets these days... some are out to make as much money off the owners as possible. And we are talking thousands here!

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
breezy064 (02-15-2012), ginnie (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Aww.. Oreo is so cute!! I wish you all the luck and prayers in the world!

Yes, it does sound like we have the same vet. Mine keeps talking like I'm made of money!!

We used to have a vet that was so awesome. My 10 yr old Mocchi had food allergies, when he was younger, but it took many trips to the vet to find that out. He is Persian/Himalayan mix and beautiful. His hair started falling out and his skin was flaking. The vet gave hm several types of cat food for free after we discovered what it was, and in the meantime, wasn't charging for office visits, just the tests. And if I told him I only had a certain amount of money, he would give me discounts to make sure I could afford the care. But, he retired...last of the real vets in my opinion.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that all our cats go peacefully when it's their time. I really don't want to be the one to make that decision. I sure hope God takes it from here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Yes, I totally understand, your predicament. It is so hard on us, the owners, who love our cats so much. Your Dude is lucky to have you!

We've switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness food now. My son recommended it. We were devoted IAMs Eukanuaba users.
The Wilderness is grain free, and 40% protein, and has antioxidants and cranberry (for urinary tract issues). Weezie who was putting on the weight, has lost some of it on the Wilderness. They all like it and eat with gusto!

Our two very elderly cats, Sheba (24) and Tippy (20) lived long lives on IAMs. They died a couple of months apart, last year. I was quite broken up over that loss.

We are trying out some grain free canned...3 types, but our cats are not liking it. So we will stay with Friskies special diet which only has rice in it for carbs. I give cooked whole meats to them anyway. So if they have to have the Friskies or 9 lives here and there, I guess that is where we will be.

Houdini is going to be neutered soon, and I worry about him and the male urinary tract problems that some get.

Keep an eye on Dude. When he appears to be in pain, I would have him put to sleep. We watch Oreo very carefully ...I won't let her suffer. I am so glad I didn't spring for the surgery. Her quality of life would have ended then. I think she has "lived" with gusto far more than most cats get to do as it is. My husband is very attached to her and she to him. She goes out with him all the time when he works outside doing chores. To see them together and her so happy, tail up and dancing around him, breaks my heart now. Don't know if she will make it til summer again. We have photo albums here in our profiles, and you are welcome to see Oreo and her joie de vivre! I have some cute pictures of her in the vacation section and family section.

Hubby is now building a close relationship with gentle, smart, Houdini. He was an outside feral, with a sweet disposition, and I adopted him thinking Oreo wouldn't be around very long. I hoped to have hubby transfer to Houdini, and it is now happening. Houdini is turning out to be exceptional too. We've never had a cat like HIM!

Dr. Mercola has a Vet series of YouTubes with Dr. Becker.
You might find her interesting:
Example:

many videos on food, and other issues.
We are getting the new adjuvant free vaccines now, ourselves.

Last edited by mrsD; 02-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
breezy064 (02-15-2012), ginnie (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You and your husband seem absolutely wonderful with your devotion to your animals. I don't know how you do it. This is the first time I've ever had to deal with this, so I doubt after they all pass on that I will have anymore. They've all brought me such joy and love, but the pain of having to make this decision somehow masks all the happy times for me right now.

I am keeping an eye on Dude for any signs of pain. I think that will make the decision easier if I see he is in pain. I know this is a false hope, but I'm thinking of asking if they can drain the fluid from him since that is why he is not eating good...the pressure on his belly. We also started giving him MMS which I swear is why my youngest Lucifur (don't let the name fool you, he's a sweetheart...unless you are a squirrel...lol) is still with us today. Dude has been more active since we started giving it to him.

I tried the Blue Buffalo salmon because of my female's hair loss issues, and my cats loved it (they are all also IAMS cats), but I switched back to the IAMS last week. I was thinking (hoping) his condition was caused by the food change, since it wasn't a hairball remedy and he's never coughed up a hairball in his life. I will probably go back to the Blue, because like your cats, they ate it with 'gusto'.

I would keep an eye on Houdini. Dude did get a urinary tract infection after he was neutered. But the signs are easy to spot...they go every where except the litter box. Thank goodness we still had the good vet then. He took care of him as a follow up so it was dirt cheap to fix that. Just paid for the meds.

Omg...I could talk to you forever! Finally someone isn't saying "it's just an animal ". If I hear that again, I think I'll really flip out on someone! I will go check out your pictures, I just love all cats. Would have had a dozen if I had a place to keep them all.

I'm off to work soon. Have a lovely day, and I will probably talk to you soon.
My prayers are with you and Oreo for sure.

PS...I just checked out Dr. Becker's video on examining your cat at home...wish I had seen this sooner. Thanks so much for all your help.

Last edited by breezy064; 02-15-2012 at 12:53 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012), mrsD (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

have you thought of a naturopathic vet? After an extended illness with my 5 year old we switched over, and just one treatment turned him into my old kitty again. I am amazed, and impressed with the turn around.

I wish you the best of luck. its so hard when our fur babies are sick.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-15-2012), Kitty (02-15-2012), mrsD (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Hi Breezy....sorry to hear about Dude's illness. I'm another cat lover here. mrsD and I trade cat stories all the time.
She's given me lots of good advice on their care. I have three cats - all inside only - and I can't imagine life without them. I will keep Dude in my prayers and hope that things get better for him. It's so hard when our pets are sick. I'd almost rather it be me than them. There are lots of animal lover's here and you'll get good advice. And nobody will say "it's just an animal".
Believe me.....this is not the place to say that!!
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-15-2012), mrsD (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Breezy

Welcome on to Neuro Talk. The pet forum is good and we give each other lots of support. There are others too that have to make life and death decisions. I had to last year, so I do know how concerned and sad it can make you. I would definately seek another opinion and research the condition before you make a choice. I think if this baby Dude is really sick, he will let you know. My scruffy told me when it was time, I just knew. I put his welfare above my own desire for him not to leave me. do all you can do, and then when that time comes you won't feel as bad. I did all that was possible for his well being, all my effort to make sure he was comfortable. I am sorry this happened to Dude kitty. It hurts any which way you look at it. We will be here for you. Holistic remedies can also be tried. Keep him pain free. I wish you and your family all the best. I will keep you in my prayers. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (02-15-2012)