Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default need some translation of my MRI report please.

Hi am new to this type of thing hope you's can help to translate this my 2nd MRI report 1st one i have had an op to correct problem of lumbar spinal stenosis, but am still having troubles with pain in hip/legs/feet/toes/low back walking/sleeping sitting/lounging the list goes on. anyway, Ispoke to my health practioner at the operating hospital she recommended an MRIto be done and sent to the neurosurgeon there as before.So 14/12/2011 MRI done here it is >>
14/12/2011nuclear magn. reson.abnormal original result MRI SPINE LUMBAR/SACRAL MRI Spine lumbar sacral. Clincal history: L5/S1 stenosis,leftsided L4/5 nerve root symptoms. followup scan advised by neurosurgeons at ( operating hospital) ongoing lumbar pain +++ MRI lumbar/sacral: comparison madewith the previous scan of 26/06/2010. at L4/5 and L5/S1there has been a posterior decompression with the absence of the spinous process and distortion of the soft tissues posteriorly.Appearances have improved somewhat but there remains quite marked stenosis of the central canal and lateral recesses due to marked facet joint hypertrophy, exacerbated by short pedicles and small disc bulge. part of the central canal stenosis is due to a 1.2x0.6 cm synovial cyst arising from the degenerate right L4/5facet joint. this displaces and distorts the theca (image4.11). there is possible compression or the L5and S1roots bilaterally,within the lateral recesses. at other lumbar and lowerthoracic levels the discs are relatively well preserved wit hno other significant disc protrusion or neurological compromise. on the basis of marrow signal there is no evidenceof infection or malignancy, no significant malialignment, no vertebral body collapse no evidnece pf pars defects.normal distal cord commentersisting central canal and lateral recess stenosis at L4/5and L5/S1.Isort of understand some bits but others are very confusing Iknow that Ihave GOT/HAD STENOSIS but what is central canal stenosis.Ihave seen my neuro but not much time also was in pain from 1.5 hr journey.he stated that I have a lot of tissue damage?? there is not a lot of romm in the space also there is a cyst he said he doesn;t think it is a synovail cyst but a csf cyst ( that is spinal fluid !) how ?? I am on a 12 week waiting list and will have to " stay in longer after this op and lay flat and still for 3-4 days, also he needs to go norht up my spine for a laminectomy" Ihave had in march 2011 a laminectomy /foraminotomy. it was WONDERFUL no pain for about 2-3 weeks then slowly small amounts of pain easy to cope with now back to square 1 but with both legs in pain and butt/feet/legs/low back etc etc just wait now
labra74163 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I'll try to help a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by labra74163 View Post
Hi am new to this type of thing hope you's can help to translate this my 2nd MRI report 1st one i have had an op to correct problem of lumbar spinal stenosis, but am still having troubles with pain in hip/legs/feet/toes/low back walking/sleeping sitting/lounging the list goes on. anyway, Ispoke to my health practioner at the operating hospital she recommended an MRIto be done and sent to the neurosurgeon there as before.So 14/12/2011 MRI done here it is >>
14/12/2011nuclear magn. reson.abnormal original result MRI SPINE LUMBAR/SACRAL MRI Spine lumbar sacral. Clincal history: L5/S1 stenosis,leftsided L4/5 nerve root symptoms. followup scan advised by neurosurgeons at ( operating hospital) ongoing lumbar pain +++ MRI lumbar/sacral: comparison madewith the previous scan of 26/06/2010. at L4/5 and L5/S1there has been a posterior decompression with the absence of the spinous process and distortion of the soft tissues posteriorly.

This paragraph says there has been surgery

Appearances have improved somewhat but there remains quite marked stenosis of the central canal and lateral recesses due to marked facet joint hypertrophy, exacerbated by short pedicles and small disc bulge.

This says that there is STILL stenosis of the spinal canal (which at this level holds nerve roots only, so the effect is unknown--they do not report a nerve root compression, but this is a set-up for one

part of the central canal stenosis is due to a 1.2x0.6 cm synovial cyst arising from the degenerate right L4/5facet joint. this displaces and distorts the theca (image4.11).

Synovial (joint) cyst-- generally not a problem unless they are squishing something---combined with the other degenerative disease, this could be the feather that broke the camel's back (no pun intended)

there is possible compression or the L5and S1roots bilaterally,within the lateral recesses.

This may be causing your problem---it would cause pain/problems in the L5 and SI nerve distributions on both sides---this may be able to be fixed, but more surgery doesn't always mean results---have you had a nerve block at that level to see if that helps?

at other lumbar and lowerthoracic levels the discs are relatively well preserved wit hno other significant disc protrusion or neurological compromise. on the basis of marrow signal there is no evidenceof infection or malignancy, no significant malialignment, no vertebral body collapse no evidnece pf pars defects.normal distal cord

This is good

commentersisting central canal and lateral recess stenosis at L4/5and L5/S1.

They have fixed part of the stenosis, but some of the nerve roots at L5/SI may still be compressed--hopefully surgery will help, but sometimes going to surgery for this makes it worse---talk with you neurosurgeon!

Isort of understand some bits but others are very confusing Iknow that Ihave GOT/HAD STENOSIS but what is central canal stenosis.Ihave seen my neuro but not much time also was in pain from 1.5 hr journey.he stated that I have a lot of tissue damage?? there is not a lot of romm in the space also there is a cyst he said he doesn;t think it is a synovail cyst but a csf cyst ( that is spinal fluid !) how ??

I am on a 12 week waiting list and will have to " stay in longer after this op and lay flat and still for 3-4 days, also he needs to go norht up my spine for a laminectomy" Ihave had in march 2011 a laminectomy /foraminotomy. it was WONDERFUL no pain for about 2-3 weeks then slowly small amounts of pain easy to cope with now back to square 1 but with both legs in pain and butt/feet/legs/low back etc etc just wait now
Sorry you are feeling so bad--12 wks is a long time to wait---ask about a nerve block
eeyore2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ? nerve block

what is a nerve block not heard of this before ,but will look it up on google ty. today feeling a bit low tripped over top bed cover trying to make bed on my own won't be doing that again too soon. went to work today coped but couldn,t walk too well after being picked up in car ,but this better than a bus well that;s me for now am tired sick of saying/being tired and in pain have gr8t family,friends and partner all really really helpful.
labra74163 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default sorry you had such a bad day

A nerve block is essentially putting anesthtic (like lidicaine) directly on the nerve root---if the pain does not improve that is unlikely to be the cause of your pain
eeyore2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote