Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Support for Family Issues?

Hi all,

First off, hello! I'm so glad a forum like this exists. Reading your stories makes my issues feel very small (some of you have suffered terrible hardship) and your perseverance and dedication really gives me hope for the future!

I've left a brief description of my story and PCS issues in my signature. What I've found through this journey is that I've been struggling with headaches, light sensitivity, occasional fatigue, fogginess, and noise sensitivity. So far the headaches have become far more tolerable and the fogginess has all but vanished. Light sensitivity strikes after extended computer time, but is somewhat manageable (despite working in IT!).

Noise sensitivity is still my most troubling issue.

Since suffering from PCS I've become increasingly sensitive to noise, and have become much quicker to become angry because of noise. I've never been a huge fan of noise, which is unfortunate because I live with my family (parents and sister) in a very noisy house. My dad is very hard of hearing (and a little stubborn) and is a very loud person as a result. He really only has partial hearing in one ear and refuses to wear a hearing aid.

Even before the concussion I had to spend most of my time in my room with earplugs in because of how loud my dad keeps the television, how loud he speaks on the phone or to other people, and how loud he eats. Seriously, it's so loud that I can hear it from my room in the second floor while he's in the kitchen and has splintered a few ceramic plates!

I've told my family several times to be quiet, but they just get upset at me telling me that I'm being unreasonable or guilt-tripping me (playing the "Oh so when you're in the house we're not allowed to do anything bla bla bla" card).

It's crippling sometimes to go into the kitchen to eat dinner and hear the fan going on, the TV so loud that it's audible from everywhere in the house, the dishwasher grinding away, and someone practically yelling into the phone or smashing a spoon against a plate like a gong. My brain just shuts down... I completely lose my concentration, I get a splitting headache, and I pretty much have to go stand out in the garage to catch my senses. During the early days it was so bad that I'd start to get dizzy and have to sit down before really catching myself.

When it isn't totally dehabilitating it just makes me very angry. I usually find myself in an uncontrollable fit of rage (as someone who is typically level-headed) and will storm off to the garage to once again catch myself, but not without usually succumbing to the temptation to throw something, kick something, or yell at someone. The problem is that the noise is persistent regardless of where I am in the house.

My family just doesn't seem to understand that I have a real issue with noise, passing it off as me complaining or being unreasonable. I've taken virtually every measure I can take to compensate, from keeping my earplugs in my ears whenever I'm at home to staying late at the office an extra few hours to avoid the "peak noise hours" (~5:30pm to 7pm). It feels like they haven't really done anything to help me.

I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do any more. Some nights all I want to do is sit in my room and quietly work on a jigsaw puzzle or something, but I find myself constantly having to try and drown out the noise with more noise, or float around idly in the garage.

Has anyone dealt with similar issues? If so, do you have any advice? I really don't mean to sound whiny or to complain, but I know from reading the forums that I need quiet and rest, and I just can't seem to get it!

Took 3 days off work (plus 2 for the weekend), doctor said mild concussion and did not order a CT scan.
Felt symptom free for two days in late January and late February.
Decided to exercise (skating in January, light cycling in February) and symptoms returned with a bang.

March 15 2012: Medically cleared to return to action! Thank you all for your kind words and support. For those still suffering, know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay positive and healthy
baultista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sound sensitivity is a very common problem for people with PCS, likely the most problematic.

The first thing you should do is download the TBI Survival Guide atwww.tbiguide.com Print it out in two copies (84 pages) and highlight the appropriate information so your family can pass around the other copy.

You can also have them watch the YouTube video series by John Byler called "You Look Great." at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Xso...ature=youtu.be It is six episodes that take about an hour in total.

This will be the best way of informing them.

Have you tried noise canceling head phones like the Bose models? Your peace and quiet is important to healing.

The emotional outbursts are also very common. The only solution is to learn to quickly remove yourself from triggering situations. You will need to be rude with your quick escapes to avoid the explosions. At the first sensation of tightness in your neck and a rise in BP and heart rate, run to a quiet and safe location.

It would help if you can find a quiet place to spend your time. A library or any place that is quiet will help.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 03-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello baultista.

I understand the noise sensitivity thing. The worst for me is any kind of silverware noise. Ahhhhhh! I get incredibly short tempered too.

I have posted before about the noise canceling headphones. I highly recommend them for you.

If you search around this forum you can find a thread where I explained how they worked.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ht=bose&page=2

This model that I have is very expensive, but I finally bought them and have used them almost every day since then.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...t_15/index.jsp

Best wishes!

... As far as the family situation, I understand your frustration. How about one of those wireless set headphones for the TV for your Dad?
Im sure that you will improve so much if you could rest more.
postconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote